mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
What is happening to the forum? Options
TYSON
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 7:30:51 PM

Neurons: 3,793
It seems that everybody is posting threads of games. There are less and less discussions about interesting topics.
I feel Im losing my old TFD friend.

Should we ask for a new forum topic of GAMES?
Geeman
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 7:38:31 PM

Neurons: 125,022
TYSON wrote:
It seems that everybody is posting threads of games. There are less and less discussions about interesting topics.

I don't know if we need a games forum. It seems like that'd turn into a discussion ABOUT games more than one in which people play games....

I had been trying to post a new thread two or three times a week. Lately, that got rather taken over by my pathological need to remonstrate the christians and the athiests. All I've come up with lately is pocket watches and cell phones. I'll see about getting back to a more regular schedule now that I've spoken my pieces on that topic. (Not a homonym error. I said "pieces" on purpose.)
26letters
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 8:32:29 PM

Neurons: 2,050
Tyson - I've thought the same thing. The games are great, but it would be nice if there was a separate place just for playing games. I've been at other forum sites that had a separate place for games.

Regarding the picture games - Due to a (very) slow dial-up connection, I can't even view the pictures, let alone post any, which is probably good, since time is limited. I must be the only one in this place still using dial-up. Pictures take several minutes to show up - and that's just for one picture. I'm in the boonies.
wercozy
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 8:49:18 PM

Neurons: 3,480
Tyson: What kind of discussion would YOU like? Drew asked on the 14th, "What is your favorite subject to learn/discuss?" You did not post there.

26letters: Dang!

sandraleesmith46
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 11:27:27 PM

Neurons: 2,132
TYSON wrote:

I feel the same. I do try to start threads when I come across things I think might be interesting topic to discuss, but even then they seem to degenerate into something other than discussions.
The Seer
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 11:44:50 PM

Neurons: 217
TYSON wrote:

Life is a game of earthly and heavenly rules
Rules to be broken, rules to be refused

.....oops! Wrong thread! Hehe :) I agree with Tyson. This forum is knee-deep in game threads.

TB
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 11:54:26 PM

Neurons: 4,277
TYSON wrote:

Hi Mate,

I know what you mean. I believe the game threads are a safe haven for those of us who are sick and tired of the acrimony that has appeared in TFD forums.

There are many exceptions but...Speaking for myself, I'm tired of seeing a small group of people post obviously contentious topics, not for real discussion, but to use TFD forums as a podium to anonymously pontificate about their controversial opinions while pretending to hide a thinly veiled contempt for those who may disagree with them. They seem to have an ax to grind and it has become tedious at best. There seems to be a much less genteel give and take than in the past.

I know many here will think I'm way out of line and I respect their opinions but I've been around here long enough to know that something has changed. My in-box is full notes from people who feel TFD is beginning to go in the wrong direction and we have only two options....We can try to ignore those who bring us down (easy to say, harder to do) or leave. I'm now avoiding most discussions by messing around with some of the games and I'm still working on the first option.

My apologies if anyone has taken offense, none was intended. Most of you know I don't look for trouble but Tyson's concern is valid and he deserves an honest opinion. That's all it is folks, an opinion.. NBD. I just want the TFD family to get back together. Pray Angel

Tyson, maybe I need to go on a long walkabout. I think you owe me a beer anyway.Dancing

grammargeek
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 4:14:22 AM

Neurons: 33,836
I agree with Tyson and TB, and I've also taken to spending the majority of my TFD time with the association games. The reason is the very one that TB gave.

A separate forum for games would be OK, but we've suggested other new forums in the past and none have come into fruition. Besides that, moving games to a dedicated forum would not address the underlying problems.
JackH
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 6:55:33 AM

Neurons: 871
I felt the same a while ago when the game threads stayed on top all the time, but maybe not as strongly as you guys.

It is interesting to see how a free forum where ideas compete freely for attention may ever have to worry about corruption by (what?) dogmatism and attitude problems.

I guess I'm not as bothered as some of you guys because I wasn't there when, apparently, this forum thrived in its golden age, so I have nothing to compare. But I also don't worry as much because I think allegedly inappropriate speech is not as bad as the attempt, no matter how well meant it is, to label it so and banish it from the free forum. The only way to respond to "bad" posting is to post healthy, interesting ideas. The only way to fix an abuse of free speech is to set examples of how it is to be exercised and enjoyed in the right way. But let us not be bothered when someone speaks in a way that we do not approve of unless and until they come down to the level of name calling and slander.

So if there is something you want to do about the forum, just do what you believe is the right thing yourself and worry less about what other people are doing.

Discombobulated
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 7:22:51 AM

Neurons: 975
TB wrote:
TYSON wrote:

Hi Mate,

I know what you mean. I believe the game threads are a safe haven for those of us who are sick and tired of the acrimony that has appeared in TFD forums.

There are many exceptions but...Speaking for myself, I'm tired of seeing a small group of people post obviously contentious topics, not for real discussion, but to use TFD forums as a podium to anonymously pontificate about their controversial opinions while pretending to hide a thinly veiled contempt for those who may disagree with them. They seem to have an ax to grind and it has become tedious at best. There seems to be a much less genteel give and take than in the past.

I know many here will think I'm way out of line and I respect their opinions but I've been around here long enough to know that something has changed. My in-box is full notes from people who feel TFD is beginning to go in the wrong direction and we have only two options....We can try to ignore those who bring us down (easy to say, harder to do) or leave. I'm now avoiding most discussions by messing around with some of the games and I'm still working on the first option.

My apologies if anyone has taken offense, none was intended. Most of you know I don't look for trouble but Tyson's concern is valid and he deserves an honest opinion. That's all it is folks, an opinion.. NBD. I just want the TFD family to get back together. Pray Angel

Tyson, maybe I need to go on a long walkabout. I think you owe me a beer anyway.Dancing

although i have obviously not been here as long as you TB, I am feeling the same way as you. I have come to a point where i will just ignore certain topics posted as well as avoid any posts put up by certain members. Is it not better to avoid what will aggravate me? Its either that or i will get on my soap box and start ranting, and i really don't like getting into arguments. Especially with people who refuse to listen and respect an opinion.

Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 8:18:35 AM

Neurons: 595,331
Good points, TB and JackH.

If there is a war going on in one thread I don't open it, or I read it but carefully do not chime in. I don't have to. IF I have something important and positive to say, then I might post. That simple.

I like association games because they improve my English, believe it or not. I also participate in discussions in other topics.

The saddest thing here is to see how a troll is trolling another, both accusing each other for the same reason. I'm glad I'm not their mental health-taker.
gamerboy
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 8:50:59 AM

Neurons: 278
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
Good points, TB and JackH.

If there is a war going on in one thread I don't open it, or I read it but carefully do not chime in. I don't have to. IF I have something important and positive to say, then I might post. That simple.

I like association games because they improve my English, believe it or not. I also participate in discussions in other topics.

The saddest thing here is to see how a troll is trolling another, both accusing each other for the same reason. I'm glad I'm not their mental health-taker.

I agree with you JJ. I enjoy a few games every now and then but I signed up on the forum so I could learn about interesting facts.
risadr
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 9:10:28 AM

Neurons: 3,545
I've been playing the association games because they give me a nice way to shut my brain off without shutting it off completely. I agree with the others who have posted that, what started out as a community founded upon the basis of an open and respectful exchange of ideas has become something very different recently. I've been around for a while and, though I haven't considered leaving the forums, I am finding it more and more difficult to ignore those individuals who are obviously trying to stir up controversy and drama. Perhaps that's why my posting has become less and less frequent...
Raparee
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 9:24:51 AM

Neurons: 18,102
All boards go through phases and as the holidays approach, people get busy, go on vacation, go visit family, etc., and cannot post as often. It's just a phase. If you decide to stop posting or starting new threads of interest to you, no one can respond to you or them, so you're only making your problem worse. There are still interesting topics and interesting deviations, but what is interesting to one is not necessarily interesting to another. *shrugs* We all know that.

I do, however, think perhaps the games should have their own subforum, just to keep them together. And given the rampant induction of religious and political topics being posted, perhaps we should have a hotbed forum for those things that are likely going to cause some rather strong reactions.
Shadowstar
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 11:08:45 AM

Neurons: 106
TB wrote:
TYSON wrote:

Hi Mate,

I agree! Sick to DEATH of people with a chip on their shoulder looking for a place to vomit out their hate!
man in black
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 11:34:36 AM

Neurons: 1,334
I aggree that there should be another space for playing games instead of this and more because a few of us can´t even participate because of not being able to watch the pictures posted.
Kat
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 12:06:51 PM

Neurons: 3,389
TYSON wrote:

I agree. Not that I haven't enjoyed the games but this forum has gotten rather
depressing or something. Seems like there's a lot of bugs up everyone's butt.
What we need is an exterminator.
Also...I miss Proli...she always managed to come up with tame but very interesting
threads and responded to most who posted their opinions with grace and diplomacy.
Where is she?
Luftmarque
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 4:34:46 PM

Neurons: 39,962
JackH wrote:
So if there is something you want to do about the forum, just do what you believe is the right thing yourself and worry less about what other people are doing.

I think that's the best response to any of the usual online cycles of civility and its opposite. FreeDELFia is an intellectual ecosystem and we can't expect it to sit still for very long, but we can continue to give it nudges (by starting and participating in compatible topics) in our preferred directions.
doubutsuMother
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 5:16:34 PM

Neurons: 1,059
Quote:
There are many exceptions but...Speaking for myself, I'm tired of seeing a small group of people post obviously contentious topics, not for real discussion, but to use TFD forums as a podium to anonymously pontificate about their controversial opinions while pretending to hide a thinly veiled contempt for those who may disagree with them.

TB is talking about me. Banal posts I can deal with, it's when posters start in on those that are weaker or different than they are that makes me want to rub it back in their faces.

Writing develops and strengthens your opinion. When a writer picks up a pen or types on a keyboard, he is forced to think about his ideas in a language that is structured for communication. A discussion helps form new and better ideas (or at least gives him practice in communicating them). A lot of the ideas here are bad or wrong, so what? You cannot have the good without the bad.

Sure I sometimes don't like the way others treat people, they can be down right ignorant and nasty, and if this was not an anonymous forum I probably would run them out of town. That's what he wants to do to me but this isn't the physical world this is an Internet forum.

I guess TB's sincerity is the saving grace where he derives all of his moral authority from but in the cold hard bit-code world of the Internet it is lost. Here reason rules supereme.

I too believe people should be sincere; however, there should be a time and a place for everything, even speculative and controversial thought without the fear of the proverbial "dictator" and his squad coming to get you. IF not this forum than where?

P.S. I was going to post topics about the following... but i dont know if i should on this forum because the topics are not social by nature.

In general, when modeling phenomena in science and engineering, we begin with simplified, incomplete models. As we examine things in greater detail, these simple models become inadequate and must be replaced by more refined models.

The contrast between function and procedure is a reflection of the general distinction between describing properties of things and describing how to do things, or, as it is sometimes referred to, the distinction between declarative knowledge and imperative knowledge. In mathematics we are usually concerned with declarative (what is) descriptions, whereas in computer science we are usually concerned with imperative (how to) descriptions.

Declarative and imperative descriptions are intimately related, as indeed are mathematics and computer science. For instance, to say that the answer produced by a program is ``correct'' is to make a declarative statement about the program. There is a large amount of research aimed at establishing techniques for proving that programs are correct, and much of the technical difficulty of this subject has to do with negotiating the transition between imperative statements (from which programs are constructed) and declarative statements (which can be used to deduce things). In a related vein, an important current area in programming-language design is the exploration of so-called very high-level languages, in which one actually programs in terms of declarative statements. The idea is to make interpreters sophisticated enough so that, given ``what is'' knowledge specified by the programmer, they can generate ``how to'' knowledge automatically. This cannot be done in general, but there are important areas where progress has been made.

I'm trying to invent two new words.

1. "CooksKnife"

I want to make a word using and combining the phrase "cook's knife".

The definition will be the following:

Noun, an elegant idea which seems dangerous, but which experts use with confidence.

2. "StabbingYourEye"

Noun, something that is so horrible that the only good thing about is when you stop doing it.

Rachel Maddows has such large labia, just like a hyena's, that she could teabag you.

Brain Exercise.

What if we were not made of atoms. can you image a world that is not based on atoms.. it doesn't have to look like this world or existence. what if the material didn't exist?

Does it look like clouds (common image of heaven)?

TB
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 8:53:51 PM

Neurons: 4,277
doubutsuMother wrote:
"..TB is talking about me. Banal posts I can deal with, it's when posters start in on those that are weaker or different than they are that makes me want to rub it back in their faces..."

"Sure I sometimes don't like the way others treat people, they can be down right ignorant and nasty, and if this was not an anonymous forum I probably would run them out of town. That's what he wants to do to me..."

Wow, where the hell did that come from?

If I remember correctly, I sent you a complimentary PM on the eighth of this month; did you forget? DM, your post came out of deep left field and it comes as a total surprise.

Your name was never on my mind. My PM friends can vouch for that. Six months ago you and I had a little snit about something silly and we resolved it, I thought. Since then I have not mentioned your name ONCE to anyone in PMs or emails. In fact I've enjoyed most of your posts.

I'm sorry you feel as if I'm talking about you but you could not be more wrong and I certainly don't want to run you out of town.

The more I think about it, it's me that needs to get out of this town.

Peace

TYSON
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 1:37:48 AM

Neurons: 3,793
I believe Oscar Wilde said:
"The only thing worse than being talked about is NOT being talked about."
moorwood
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 1:52:22 AM

Neurons: 465
A separate forum for games would be a good idea. What facinates me though as a new-comer is how het-up some of you guys get. You seem to bruise so easily. It's really very amusing. Maybe try thinking sticks and stones.
sandraleesmith46
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 3:01:10 AM

Neurons: 2,132
moorwood wrote:
A separate forum for games would be a good idea. What facinates me though as a new-comer is how het-up some of you guys get. You seem to bruise so easily. It's really very amusing. Maybe try thinking sticks and stones.

If you actually knew 1/4 what you think you know, you'd know words do hurt, often far worse, and in ways much harder to heal than sticks or stones! That's one of humanity's most inane and cruel cliches! Grow up and go get some manners, leadership training and ethics before you start criticizing people for reacting to your deliberate cruelties!
26letters
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 6:01:58 AM

Neurons: 2,050
moorwood Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 1:52:22 AM
What facinates me though as a new-comer is how het-up some of you guys get. You seem to bruise so easily. It's really very amusing. Maybe try thinking sticks and stones.

26letters writes: moorwood, there is no shortage of forums out there of the type you are looking for. If you want to engage in mud-slinging, name-calling, whatever... go find your forum.

The thing that made this place so great was the civility that was exercised. People were quick to apologize when they went off on a rant. There was always an effort to maintain order. It was so refreshing and so rare. But that can only last as long as people want civility. You seem bored with it. What exactly draws you to this place?
bugdoctor
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 8:07:13 PM

Neurons: 5,456
[quote=26letters]moorwood Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 1:52:22 AM
What facinates me though as a new-comer is how het-up some of you guys get. You seem to bruise so easily. It's really very amusing. Maybe try thinking sticks and stones.

There lies the rub. This forum is NOT designed to be a primary political outlet. People come here for discussion, yes, but NOT at the expense of having someone slaughter their sacred cows. What are the major hot buttons for just about anyone? Religion and Politics. Those topics, IMO, should be soft peddled here. The primary conversation should (IMO) be about other things/topics/issues that are less fractional.

We have on this forum some who OPENLY post in these two areas with statements that they KNOW will alienate at least half the board and draw them into a confrontational exchange. We are losing some VERY VALUABLE members from this forum because of this kind of behavior.

I don't mind disagreements, and they can become rather volatile. But name calling and personal attacks have no place here. Bruising shouldn't be an issue. And you, Moorwood, are not entirely innocent in this process. Though you, like Wercozy, make some interesting posts, the both of you also goad people into confrontations then back away as if to say you never meant anything by the post. Moral indignation while holding a smoking gun just doesn't work.

EACH of us can do a better job of being more civil and THINKING about how a post will resonate BEFORE making it. That doesn't mean we can't disagree. But we shouldn't be referring to people and/or groups of people as stupid/evil/dumb/fill in the word - when we don't see eye to eye.

There. I've had my say. Now it's time to go and see if I can extort money from Tiger Woods. Everyone else is.
Honk.
moorwood
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 11:58:09 PM

Neurons: 465
Now I too am feeling bruised. Serves me right I suppose.