The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Shirk Options
Daemon
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 93,384
Shirk

In Islam, shirk refers to the sin of practicing idolatry or polytheism—worshipping anyone or anything other than Allah, the singular God of Islam. Though shirk is always considered a sin, Islamic law distinguishes different grades of it, with the most serious being polytheism. Instances of lesser shirk include superstition, belief in the power of created things—such as reverencing saints—and seeking any who profess to know the future. What does shirk mean in Arabic? More...
curmudgeonine
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 10:40:03 AM

Neurons: 170,308
In Islam, shirk (Arabic: شرك‎ širk) refers to the sin of practicing idolatry or polytheism, i.e. the deification or worship of anyone or anything other than the singular God called Allah. Literally, it means the establishment of "partners" placed beside God. It is the vice that is opposed to the virtue of Tawhid (monotheism).[1]
Marguerite
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 11:59:02 AM

Neurons: 23,973
The prohibition against worshipping more than one God in the practice of Islam among its believers suggests to me that in the minds of the leaders of this religions there are indeed other Gods instead of just one God. It is like saying there is no book but this book and this is the only book to read. Naturally then the believer is going to look and read the other books that don't exisit out of sheer curiosity. Once you are aware of other choices which you will resonate with in a personal matter. Given this injuncture: "And no calamity strikes except by God’s permission."—Qur'an, Sura 64 (At-Taghabun), ayat I would worship a kinder God.

youme
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 4:27:06 PM

Neurons: 1,793
"In the mind of the leaders of this religion" supposes that this religion was created by those leaders, who are those leaders? I don't know why whenever we talk about islam we talk about people rather than God and the religion itself, well the truth is that the word "shirk" is not something new that came with islam, all the messengers sent by god came with the same message to worship no one that you make as your god other than the absoloute god who created everything, the same god who sent Moses and Jesus and Mohamed, if you check the torah, you'll find that judaism says the same thing about "shirk", it's not about chosing among "the gods that exist already", simply there are gods that we made and one God who made us, the only God who deserves to be worshipped.
Absurdicuss
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 5:35:23 PM

Neurons: 30,654
Islam is a fraud, and I mean that in a most complimentary tone. Look it up.
kenturner1
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 8:49:29 PM

Neurons: 11,475
Jehovah God of the Judeo-Christian faith had the same stance on idolatry. That is His first Commandment.
pastorandrew
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 11:00:44 PM

Neurons: 2,578
It's interesting to me that many people...I don't want to single any out...who are Muslims are very tribal or hold their clans in very high regard. I am wondering if this is considered a lesser shirk in Islam.
Ray41
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014 10:32:06 PM

Neurons: 45,980
Think The only shirk that I am familiar with is the one we use for avoidance or malingering. Never would have associated it with Islam until reading about it in 'Article of the Day'.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/shirk