mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Carson McCullers (1917) Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 98,814
Carson McCullers (1917)

McCullers, born Lula Carson Smith, was an aspiring pianist until she was partly paralyzed by a series of strokes in her early twenties, complications stemming from misdiagnosed rheumatic fever in her adolescence. She went on to study writing instead, publishing her first—and perhaps finest—novel, The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter, when she was just 23. It, like many of her works, draws upon her Southern background and explores themes of loss and isolation. Who starred in its film adaptation? More...
Guto André
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2014 7:16:51 AM

Neurons: 25,311
The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter was adapted as a film with the same title in 1968 with Alan Arkin in the lead role.
Guto André
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2014 7:27:33 AM

Neurons: 25,311
Alan Arkin is a great actor. I loved his roles in "Little Miss Sunshine" and "Marley & me"
curmudgeonine
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2014 11:16:33 AM

Neurons: 170,308
I loved the book, "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter". The movie was good, but as usual, the book was better.
buga bugito
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2014 12:52:22 PM

Neurons: 1,676
carson was very talented but her emotional struggles make me sad
Marguerite
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2014 5:37:49 PM

Neurons: 23,973
How could such a young person understand both the feeling of loneliness and that the plight of people who stand clearly on the fringes of society--the deaf, the blind the disabled; misfits and outcasts? Thank God our society of late has tried to be more emcompassing and inclusive in our differences--we are all just human beings who will live and die, not better, no worst than any one else. Still we are lonely. No one wants to talk about loneliness. But when some young genius does she is recognized and feted. Poor Carson, yet she was friends with such extraordinary people--John Huston, Truman Capote, Tennessee Williams, Brittian, Auden, and Gypsy Rose Lee and left the legacy of her books, she lived a fuller life than I ever will. Guta, I love Alan Arkin too, especially in that extraordinary movie Little Miss Sunshine.