The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

UK Calls Off the Toddlers' Truce (1957) Options
Daemon
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 93,330
UK Calls Off the Toddlers' Truce (1957)

Today we are used to turning on the television at any hour of the day or night and having access to countless channels broadcasting all manner of program, but this was not always the case. In television's early days, the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) was the UK's sole public broadcaster; it started out with just one channel, and it cut its feed from 6PM to 7PM to accommodate parents putting their children to bed. What caused the BBC to eventually abandon the so-called Toddlers' Truce? More...
curmudgeonine
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2014 8:58:44 AM

Neurons: 170,308
The "Toddlers' Truce'" was a 'kind' move by the network, and I'm sure it was appreciated by parents of the day.
peaty
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2014 10:54:21 AM

Neurons: 65,040
Children's programmes were removed completely from the two main BBC TV channels in January 2013. They were moved to the dedicated children's channels CBeebies (for under sixes), and CBBC (for older children). Both of these channels close at 7:00pm. CBeebies always closes with a bedtime story.
Marguerite
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2014 10:58:15 AM

Neurons: 23,973
TV is such a all encompassing presence in our lives that it deserves far more study. I would like to transport Peter Abelard and sit him cross-legged in front of my television. I am sure he would have plenty of say. I used to think TV served as substitue of the camp fire, but it is far more than a just a mere focal point.
Guto André
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2014 1:03:42 PM

Neurons: 25,311
The problem became apparent in 1956 when the ITV franchise-holders under the ITA's jurisdiction were struggling to stay in business. As the BBC was (and still is) funded by a TV licence fee, its budget was not related to the number of hours of transmission. Indeed the Truce saved them money. ITV, on the other hand, was funded entirely by advertising and the Truce caused a loss of revenue in the hour's closedown.
Absurdicuss
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2014 3:51:45 PM

Neurons: 30,654
Television is elitist mind control. Programming.

Mute and surf on all commercial breaks and limit your time to no more than a couple hours a day.

There is so much more life to be lived than the passive whiling away of precious hours.