mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Farouk I of Egypt (1920) Options
Daemon
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 98,790
Farouk I of Egypt (1920)

Farouk ascended Egypt's throne in 1936, as the country was transitioning from British rule to total independence. His administration was plagued by internal rivalries, but it was his alienation of the military, especially after its loss to Israel in 1948, that brought about his downfall. A 1952 coup led by officer Gamal Abdel Nasser forced Farouk to abdicate. He was briefly succeeded by his infant son, after which Egypt became a republic. What furniture style did the profligate king popularize? More...
TheParser
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 7:03:39 AM

Neurons: 22,062
Ever since His Majesty's forced abdication, the country of Egypt has been in turmoil.

In my OPINION, Egypt today would be a modern, prosperous, and peaceful nation if it still had a king ruling under the gentle guidance of the English, who would inculcate the values of Western democracy.

In my OPINION, the proponents of "independence" for Middle Eastern and African countries in the 1960's only succeeded in creating poverty, violence, and misery.

(Today Burma seems to be advancing toward genuine democracy. While it was still under the military dictatorship, one Burmese intellectual said that life had been much better under British rule. Why do humans prefer to be ruled badly by their own people instead of being ruled well by "outsiders"?)

Guto André
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 7:33:23 AM

Neurons: 25,311
What furniture style did the profligate king popularize?

The ostentatious king's name is used to describe imitation Louis XV-style furniture known as "Louis-Farouk". The imperial French style furniture became fashionable among Egypt's upper classes during Farouk's reign so Egyptian artisans began to mass-produce it. The style uses ornate carving, is heavily gilded, and is covered in elaborate cloth.[24] The style, or imitations thereof, remains widespread in Egypt.

mangezi
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 11:16:26 PM

Neurons: 65,799
TheParser wrote:
Ever since His Majesty's forced abdication, the country of Egypt has been in turmoil.

In my OPINION, Egypt today would be a modern, prosperous, and peaceful nation if it still had a king ruling under the gentle guidance of the English, who would inculcate the values of Western democracy.

In my OPINION, the proponents of "independence" for Middle Eastern and African countries in the 1960's only succeeded in creating poverty, violence, and misery.

(Today Burma seems to be advancing toward genuine democracy. While it was still under the military dictatorship, one Burmese intellectual said that life had been much better under British rule. Why do humans prefer to be ruled badly by their own people instead of being ruled well by "outsiders"?)

Africa is today failing to enjoy the fruits of its vast natural resources because of foreign investments. China is looting all (well, to us, it seems) the diamonds and golds. So are all Western countries investing in Africa. Your opinions put ME on the defensive. Once we were a striving continent under the rule of "outsider", "Europeans" but that was as far as our suppression went and Europe "boomed" while we thrived in dusty rustic towns.

Hope by "outsiders" you mean like a Ugandan goes to be president in Kenya. But we know the results of that with the Rwandan president.

These are our opinions!
TheParser
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 5:18:39 AM

Neurons: 22,062
muketah wrote:

These are our opinions!

Yes, that is the purpose of these forums: to give everyone an opportunity to express his opinions.

So far in 2014, more and more members have been posting their opinions, giving all of us a wider range of opinions. Many of your opinions have been very interesting.