The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Snow Day Options
Epiphileon
Posted: Wednesday, December 9, 2009 9:10:25 AM

Neurons: 165,701
So this is a new one, not even a flake falling yet, and I get the call to leave my bus parked today. Must be one heck of a storm coming. Guess I'll finish the tree today, and wonder all day if I should go buy a generator. I swear I remember walking to school as a kid through as much as, at the very least, 6"-8" of snow. It probably has a lot to do with the fact that about 90% of the kids take the bus to school, and the teachers live all over the place, and not in the convent next door to the school.

Okay never-mind I started this post at 0500, it is now 0900, and we have 6", and it is supposed to snow till at least 4 or 5 oclock this afternoon.
Raparee
Posted: Wednesday, December 9, 2009 9:12:57 AM

Neurons: 18,102
Epiphileon wrote:
Okay never-mind I started this post at 0500, it is now 0900, and we have 6", and it is supposed to snow till at least 4 or 5 oclock this afternoon.

Holy crap! That's a lot of snow fast. I'm further south than you, so we're merely having torrential rains, flooding, and wind advisories. But the generator is a brilliant idea when I move up to the PNW. Will have to remember that. Thanks! :D

Pictures would be neat.
Norseman007
Posted: Wednesday, December 9, 2009 9:35:38 AM

Neurons: 21
I moved from Chicago to New Orleans for a job a couple months ago and I do not miss that weather. I had to call the guy taking care of my house back there to have him trickle the faucet in the kitchen.

Once when I was working in Chicago I had a driller rig helper (laborer), working for me, tell me that I should have shoveled the snow in the back lot before he arrived as he could hurt himself. I handed him the shovel and said that was his job today.
wercozy
Posted: Wednesday, December 9, 2009 11:07:02 AM

Neurons: 3,480
It's 11 degrees where I live. We have a blue sky, the sun just came up, and the birds are still flying about.
RuthP
Posted: Wednesday, December 9, 2009 11:13:39 AM

Neurons: 87,618
We are freezing where I live. They say it will warm before it rains. I hope so.

I grew up in western Oregon, where two inches of snow can close schools. Few people know how to drive in it and most cities have inadequate snow removal equipment.
early_apex
Posted: Wednesday, December 9, 2009 12:13:14 PM

Neurons: 12,855
Epiphileon wrote:
So this is a new one, not even a flake falling yet, and I get the call to leave my bus parked today. Must be one heck of a storm coming. Guess I'll finish the tree today, and wonder all day if I should go buy a generator. I swear I remember walking to school as a kid through as much as, at the very least, 6"-8" of snow. It probably has a lot to do with the fact that about 90% of the kids take the bus to school, and the teachers live all over the place, and not in the convent next door to the school.

To be sitting home drinking hot chocolate while the snow plow drivers are out working -- a great time to feel good about your choice in jobs. Hope you stay warm and do not have to get out.
E-Minor
Posted: Wednesday, December 9, 2009 12:40:14 PM

Neurons: 297
I live in Canada (Ontario) and we have more than enough snow removal equipment/salt trucks and it still took me almost 3 hours to do what is normally a 40 minute drive to work this morning. Every year we get snow and every year people drive as though they've never seen the stuff before...sigh.
zdeb_d123
Posted: Wednesday, December 9, 2009 1:01:50 PM

Neurons: 312
5 degrees here w/ wind chill of -15 d'oh!
Epiphileon
Posted: Wednesday, December 9, 2009 1:30:35 PM

11" at Noon
that's over an inch an hour, yep, pretty good storm.
I was going to post a picture, but I'm afraid it is RTFM for the new camera.

E-Minor wrote:
I live in Canada (Ontario) and we have more than enough snow removal equipment/salt trucks and it still took me almost 3 hours to do what is normally a 40 minute drive to work this morning. Every year we get snow and every year people drive as though they've never seen the stuff before...sigh.

I think it is a city thing. I live in rural New Hampshire, and the folks here don't seem to have any problem, in fact if anything they're a bit fast for my liking. But then this is only my second year with a four wheel drive vehicle, and it does seem to hold the road exceptionally well, and almost everyone around here either has a 4WD truck, or a Subaru.
TB
Posted: Wednesday, December 9, 2009 1:49:19 PM

Neurons: 4,277
Epiphileon wrote:
11" at Noon
that's over an inch an hour, yep, pretty good storm...

We're coming for you Epi.

[image not available]
Epiphileon
Posted: Wednesday, December 9, 2009 1:56:00 PM

TB wrote:
[quote=Epiphileon]11" at Noon
that's over an inch an hour, yep, pretty good storm...

We're coming for you Epi.
No worries mate, I love it, just took my 10y.o. stepson to a friends house in the 4wd pickup. "Hey Joey, know what a 4 wheel power slide is?"
He does now.Dancing
xsmith
Posted: Wednesday, December 9, 2009 5:24:15 PM

Neurons: 4,497
Epiphileon wrote:

Children take the school bus today because litigious parents are ready to sue school districts if their kids get hurt walking to school. New York City schools rarely canceled classes during minor, inconvenient snowstorms when I attended school way back in the day. They adhere to the same policy nowadays. The suburban school districts close schools the minute a flake hits the pavement.
Yorker
Posted: Wednesday, December 9, 2009 6:20:49 PM

Neurons: 2,084
Can we have some of your snow for Christmas please? It's 10 degrees here, rain, rain and tomorrow more rain. The mildest winter so far and the wettest. Our rivers in Yorkshire are still in flood the lower roads are now under water. As a child I remember we had quite deep snow every year, what happened?

When I returned to the UK from Africa in 1992 my daughter, at seeing snow for the first time, ran out outside and danced, her mouth wide open trying to catch the flakes and then lay down in it she was so excited, that was in 1992. Last year we had a couple of inches of snow no more. I still have azaleas, autumn bulbs and even roses in flower. It is ridicules to say that the climate isn't getting warmer. Although Epiphileon might not agree with me at the moment.
sandraleesmith46
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2009 8:09:28 PM

Neurons: 2,132
I kind of hate to be the harbinger of bad tidings. That storm blew through here Monday night, packing 60+ MPH winds {miles, not meters}, and we haven't gotten out of the 30's for a high since, with more coming in now. That said, I know 30's sounds right balmy to some of you, but down here, with the sun shining, our daytime highs even in the dead of winter are usually upper 40's or low to mid 50's, which makes that unusually cold. And our overnight lows don't generally dip to low teens except a few nights in January, but have been there most of the past week and more. So batten down your hatches, folks, it's looking like el Nino is fixing to do us a nasty turn this time again. The last really bad one was in the early 90's when half the country like to floated away between February,when it started here, and midsummer, when the Mississippi, Missouri, and other larger rivers up north and east of here finally tapered off. Our little old Verde, which scarcely resembles a river most of you would recognize as such, really lived up to the name river that year.
RuthP
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 11:47:30 AM

Epi - How are you surviving? The news last night was all about NY in a blizzard and I wondered whether you were having the same.

We are supposed to get "precipitation" this weekend. Eventually it will be rain, but first maybe snow and definitely freezing rain. Joy.
Epiphileon
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 12:20:47 PM

RuthP wrote:
Epi - How are you surviving? The news last night was all about NY in a blizzard and I wondered whether you were having the same.
We are supposed to get "precipitation" this weekend. Eventually it will be rain, but first maybe snow and definitely freezing rain. Joy.

Thanks Ruth, we're doing fine, it was a lovely brisk morning when I left for work today, 16 degrees F. with a lovely 20 mph wind out of the NW, put a nice little nip to the air. The ground makes a great crunching sound as you walk along. All that snow NY is getting is lake effect, that hardly ever reaches us what makes it out of NY is raked out of the air by the Green Mountains in Vermont.
Sorry to hear about the rain and freezing rain, the first is just a drag, the second can be a far cry more, than just a wee bit inconvenient.
I'm hoping to do some pond skating soon, and on to the lakes by January, don't think I'll ever do rivers again, my Lady would have a fit.
Luftmarque
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 12:29:33 PM

Neurons: 39,962
Northern Colorado is participating in this cold snap. I saw -20F on our backyard thermometer yesterday morning, which is the coldest it's been since I moved here last January. Staying inside taking naps with cats is best.
Raparee
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 1:17:13 PM

Neurons: 18,102
Luftmarque wrote:
Northern Colorado is participating in this cold snap. I saw -20F on our backyard thermometer yesterday morning, which is the coldest it's been since I moved here last January. Staying inside taking naps with cats is best.

Mmm...feline heating units are awesome in cold weather. However, they can be a bit smothering when they want to group en masse in hot, humid, and sticky weather. d'oh!
Epiphileon
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 8:57:16 PM

Luftmarque wrote:

Now that's actually cold, when I was in the Air Force my friend and I went skiing in Maine once, when the mountain top temp got to -62. We were of the ski school that thought stopping on the way down was a waste of time. We actually thought it was our goggles fogging that made us stop the first couple runs so, we decided "screw it we're not stopping", we crashed within 30 yards of each other, The vents on our goggles were open and the fluid on the front of our eyes was starting to freeze. We were still complaining it didn't get to 70 below, we really wanted to hear spit freeze before hitting the ground. Maybe a good thing it didn't get there, lips are useful.
Epiphileon
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 8:23:04 PM

Luftmarque wrote:

From the weather site...
-11 °F
Blowing Snow Freezing Fog
Windchill: -54 °F
Humidity: 100%
Dew Point: -11 °F
Wind: 90 mph from the WNW
Wind Gust: 98 mph

Okay so that's from Mt. Washington, which I believe still holds the worlds worst recorded weather record but, it is forcast in the single digits here tonight with windchills around 25-30 below zero.
.wichitarick
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 9:03:17 PM

Neurons: 752
Hello

BRRR. I will finally chime in Boo hoo! can not let you folks get buried or freeze alone.

Yes Mt Washington is still the highest wind speed ever recorded is,nt it? I spent a spring,summer and fall in Conway and over the border at Kezar lake ,"Mainers" have always been some of favorites people .
I knew better about winter BUT went back to Colorado from there so where was the logic in that?
Thanks though, It was in the teens here for a few days, is a high of 48 and a low in the 30,s today and tomorrow. "balmy"(lower heat bill)
I grew up in western Colorado where the winter "average" is 350 inches minimum or the money men start having nightmares.

That 70 below story gave me the "chills"
I admit to be a bit of a city slicker for way to long now but I have paid my dues .
Went out for a pack of cigarettes at 2 a.m. in the winter and passed the bank temperature that said -44 degrees brrr.
The man at the hotel where we bought our cigarettes did not believe us Boo hoo! we took his camera and took a picture of it at -44 and the paper printed that picture for the weekly paper .
WOW our 15 minutes of fame or pain or shame depending on who you asked because my head and face were frost bitten from that stroll.d'oh! d'oh! SNOW ? it is ice and freezing rain here . R.C.
DarkMoon
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2009 7:41:13 PM

Neurons: 46,684
It has been snowing since yesterday in my city in Poland. :) Finally, there is a cover of snow on the streets and trees. I only hope it won't melt until the end of the year. It's great if December is a white and snowy month. However, I listened to the weather forecast, and it seems, we can expect the thaw within a few days.

The weather is quite cold now. It's about -15C (5F). There hasn't been such low temperatures (I mean below 0C) for a few years, so now it's enough to feel like our cheeks and noses are freezing. Luckily, there is no ice-cold wind.

Anyway, it's great to look at the snowy landscapes and to drink a mug of mulled wine at home. :)

Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2009 7:45:51 PM

Neurons: 571,761
It's snowy and freezy here in Helsinki. Forecasts promise it'll be over Christmas. Minus 20 now. Good.
Akkuratix
Posted: Sunday, December 20, 2009 4:57:46 AM

Neurons: 540
We have only a little of snow, temp. -12 deg centigr. hard wind from SW, length of a day is ca. 4 hours but maybe days are going to get longer again, soon!
Happy Christmas.
driven
Posted: Sunday, December 20, 2009 2:26:57 PM

Neurons: 207
We just got 30 inches of snow with a low of 16 F.
murphy
Posted: Sunday, December 20, 2009 4:59:08 PM

Neurons: 233
Driven -I have experienced both by themselves. Can't remeber the two together. Were feeling for you down here.
uuaschbaer
Posted: Sunday, December 20, 2009 5:11:35 PM

Neurons: 6,180
There is a pack of snow like I've never seen before over here. Practically a blizzard outside this morning.
sandraleesmith46
Posted: Sunday, December 20, 2009 5:13:19 PM

Neurons: 2,132
I'll just keep the local conditons to myself, and shiver for you all.Whistle Whistle
26letters
Posted: Sunday, December 20, 2009 6:45:13 PM

Neurons: 2,050
The snow is up to my knees - if I was standing on my head!!! Just kidding. It is deep and it's going to take days to shovel out.

Anxious
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2009 6:56:30 AM

Neurons: 571,761
Helsinki right now
Flurries
-12° (13:50 EET)

Been snowing more or less since Saturday. Some 10 to 15 inches so far. White Christmas this year ;-)
Yesterday needed not to shovel, the wind cleaned whole backyard out.
Epiphileon
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2009 9:23:39 AM

Well we are definitely feeling ripped off here in NH, Cape Cod got nearly two feet of snow, and we got zip, zero, nada. I'm thinking of targeting the snow god with an ICBM full of tanning oil.
RuthP
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2009 2:24:10 PM

Well, we are back to normal winter drizzle. I did go caroling with the neighbors on Saturday night. Nary a drop fell on us and it was warm enough (probably high 40s F) that it was comfortable, too!