The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Definition of god Options
abcxyz
Posted: Tuesday, December 8, 2009 3:28:05 AM

Neurons: 3,200
What exactly is the definition of god? I searched TFD and this scary-looking page came up.

Is there any fixed definition of god on which theists and atheists both agree?
Epiphileon
Posted: Tuesday, December 8, 2009 5:14:13 AM

Neurons: 166,396
abcxyz wrote:

Not possible, an atheist's definition of god would be something like, "That which does not exist."
As far as any chance of universal agreement on what god is, among those who use the word to describe some numinous other, the probability of that is exactly zero, in my opinion.
Blodybeef
Posted: Tuesday, December 8, 2009 5:44:40 AM

Neurons: 615,487
A most objective definition could be ;
That which millions have fought and died for over millenia.
Center of each and every moral systems, religions.
abcxyz
Posted: Tuesday, December 8, 2009 5:55:52 AM

Epiphileon wrote:
abcxyz wrote:

Not possible, an atheist's definition of god would be something like, "That which does not exist."
As far as any chance of universal agreement on what god is, among those who use the word to describe some numinous other, the probability of that is exactly zero, in my opinion.

Alright then, is there a definition of god on which all the theists would agree, at least in this forum?
Nobigdeal
Posted: Tuesday, December 8, 2009 6:15:21 AM

Neurons: 12
Alright then, is there a definition of god on which all the theists would agree, at least in this forum?[/quote]

I believe that as far as Muslims, Christians and Jews are concerned, God is the creator of everything; only He deserves to be worshipped.Brick wall
Blodybeef
Posted: Tuesday, December 8, 2009 6:19:49 AM

Neurons: 615,487
Nobigdeal wrote:

I believe that as far as Muslims, Christians and Jews are concerned, God is the creator of everything; only He deserves to be worshipped.Brick wall

I think this definition is adequate enough.
Isaac Samuel
Posted: Tuesday, December 8, 2009 8:11:01 AM

Neurons: 1,222
"GOD" is a figure of speech used to denote anything enigmatic; such as 'God knows' 'Inshallah' etc to explain the
"UNKNOWN" by human beings. A plausible definition to God,in my opinion is Enigma or something mystique that can not be explained,shall we say?
roverT33
Posted: Tuesday, December 8, 2009 8:58:09 AM

Neurons: 12,884
God is just one name of over 400 that he has. Why do you need to define ?, go seek him out. If you do it right you will hear the Voice of the spirit(It's more like a whisper). Don't just look in one place and think you have found him. There are a lot of false Prophets about, which his word warns you of....
gamerboy
Posted: Tuesday, December 8, 2009 9:17:34 AM

Neurons: 278
abcxyz wrote:
What exactly is the definition of god? I searched TFD and this scary-looking page came up.

I followed your link and found it very amusing. At the same time it was a little disturbing that there was no definition. Brick wall
AJC
Posted: Tuesday, December 8, 2009 9:18:13 AM

Neurons: 2,436
Nobigdeal wrote:
Alright then, is there a definition of god on which all the theists would agree, at least in this forum?

I believe that as far as Muslims, Christians and Jews are concerned, God is the creator of everything; only He deserves to be worshipped.Brick wall [/quote]

This seems to be a pretty universal definition.

Why does your first post have a button (upper right corner) that is marked "mark as spam"?
early_apex
Posted: Tuesday, December 8, 2009 9:21:58 AM

Neurons: 12,855
gamerboy wrote:
abcxyz wrote:

I followed your link and found it very amusing. At the same time it was a little disturbing that there was no definition. Brick wall

You have to scroll down the page to get to the definition section.
early_apex
Posted: Tuesday, December 8, 2009 9:25:49 AM

abcxyz wrote:

God is the creator of the universe, the Almighty, the I AM.

As such, he cannot be fully defined by mere mortals. Any attempt at definition would be too confining.
early_apex
Posted: Tuesday, December 8, 2009 9:27:02 AM

AJC wrote:

Why does your first post have a button (upper right corner) that is marked "mark as spam"?

Everyone gets those on their first posts.
DarkMoon
Posted: Tuesday, December 8, 2009 9:34:54 AM

Neurons: 46,684
It's intriguing as well as thought-provoking, that people, including me Angel, tend to capture everything in the succinct, up-to the-point definitions. Brief sentences, which are supposed to come out with the essence of the problem. Think The rest seems to be an attempt to figure out the right responses, if it is ever possible to unveil them at all.
pedro
Posted: Tuesday, December 8, 2009 9:41:01 AM

Neurons: 63,022
AJC wrote:
Nobigdeal wrote:

This seems to be a pretty universal definition.

Why does your first post have a button (upper right corner) that is marked "mark as spam"? [/quote]

some people enjoy spam
abcxyz
Posted: Tuesday, December 8, 2009 9:59:14 AM

Nobigdeal wrote:

I believe that as far as Muslims, Christians and Jews are concerned, God is the creator of everything; only He deserves to be worshipped.Brick wall [/quote]

Thanks! I needed it to understand whether I'm a theist or an atheist.
AJC
Posted: Tuesday, December 8, 2009 10:02:42 AM

Neurons: 2,436
early_apex wrote:
AJC wrote:

Everyone gets those on their first posts.

Ah. thank you.
abcxyz
Posted: Tuesday, December 8, 2009 10:06:29 AM

early_apex wrote:
abcxyz wrote:

God is the creator of the universe, the Almighty, the I AM.

As such, he cannot be fully defined by mere mortals. Any attempt at definition would be too confining.

WARNING, WHAT YOU ARE ABOUT TO READ IS RELIGIOUS IN CONTENT AND MAY CAUSE YOUR HEAD TO EXPLODE
Dancing

Does every theist believe that god is almighty? Because the paradox 'if God is almighty, can He create a stone that He cannot lift himself?' disproves it.
abcxyz
Posted: Tuesday, December 8, 2009 10:09:13 AM

early_apex wrote:
gamerboy wrote:
abcxyz wrote:

You have to scroll down the page to get to the definition section.

Oh, I found it. Thanks.
TB
Posted: Tuesday, December 8, 2009 10:34:27 AM

Neurons: 4,277
abcxyz wrote:

WARNING, WHAT YOU ARE ABOUT TO READ IS RELIGIOUS IN CONTENT AND MAY CAUSE YOUR HEAD TO EXPLODE
Dancing

Does every theist believe that god is almighty? Because the paradox 'if God is almighty, can He create a stone that He cannot lift himself?' disproves it.

I forgot to mention that there is a charge for using my warning sign.

Good idea btw Applause
Luftmarque
Posted: Tuesday, December 8, 2009 11:13:30 AM

Neurons: 39,962
"God is a concept by which we measure our pain."
--John Lennon, quoting somebody else
pedro
Posted: Tuesday, December 8, 2009 11:17:19 AM

Luftmarque wrote:

never quite sure what he meant there but someone stole my copy of that album at a party
early_apex
Posted: Tuesday, December 8, 2009 11:43:40 AM

abcxyz wrote:
Does every theist believe that God is almighty? Because the paradox 'if God is almighty, can He create a stone that He cannot lift himself?' disproves it.

You have departed the consensus zone. Your first sentence will not be answered. The fact that man can devise a paradox does not impinge upon the existence of God.
musicwriter
Posted: Tuesday, December 8, 2009 12:03:34 PM

Neurons: 921
We need a theologist here to clarify the difference between the God of monotheistic religions and the gods that were made from bronze and worshiped by pagans, such as the early Greeks and Romans.
abcxyz
Posted: Tuesday, December 8, 2009 12:14:59 PM

TB wrote:

I forgot to mention that there is a charge for using my warning sign.

Good idea btw Applause

LOL all right, here you go.

P.S. Your caution doesn't work at all. In fact there isn't a more sure way to make everyone who visits this thread read my post.
Eagertolearn
Posted: Tuesday, December 8, 2009 1:37:19 PM

Neurons: 9
Think Funny That in all Religions,there is an Enigma or Mystique that we all want it to be God,that very word will help us survive in a chaotic World.
kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Tuesday, December 8, 2009 2:54:15 PM

Neurons: 7,777
I think there is no fixed definition of God. There may be one or a few similar ones that most agree with, but there also has to be some people who have a different definition of God. I think the problem with definitions is that, even if you are a moderate and your intentions are good, you can be "deemed" extremist once you fall in some category like atheist, theist etc. I have always found these "ists" and "isms" very dangerous. So many people around the world die due to differences in opinions on God, religion etc. I don't understand something; if all religions and their gods preach non-violence, how come people are so violent? Why kill each other in the name of religion and God? That is why I fear these definitions so much these days. I remember how in our Mumbai riots, the religiously bent murderous rioters used to ask anyone on the road their names or their religion. What a shame! I am a hindu, only because I was born to Hindu parents and my name is that of hindus. But I don't care about it, since neither do I practice any rituals of my religion, nor do I have anything against people of other religions. But in case of a riot, my religion would become my identity. And I could be slashed, burned alive or beheaded just for that. The same would have happened of course if I were a muslim. Also, the people of my own religion can also kill because they might think I am not devoted enough! How disgusting is that? I don't know about all, but many people believing in god and religion, seem to be very cruel. Everybody has equal rights in this world, and anybody can say anything about everything.

Now coming back to god, I don't like the concept of worshipping. Why should I submit to anyone or anything?? Scientists are brilliant and intelligent, but I won't bow to them either; I will give them respect. I would respect anyone or anything that is worthy of it. But I wouldn't be subordinate to any. And so shouldn't anyone else.

More than the definition of God, I would like to know why people refer to god as "Him". Why not "It"? Is god a human being? Then where is he?? Some say he is almighty, some say he is everywhere. But I can't see him anywhere. Science tells us that if something isn't occupying volume, it isn't there! Unless it is energy. And if god is an energy, then of course why "Him"? See, that's the problem with the present situation. We cannot really be sure. Since you, abcxyz, seem to be interested in logic and paradoxes, let me ask you if you can prove that there can be no human being or creature or even anything that is responsible for everything that has happened so far, from the beginning of time (if there is any such thing). And then, there is no way to be sure that our science is full-proof or that there might be things we might not be able to explain with the present science. Or maybe, in the future, these very rules will prove if such a thing as almighty or an invisible "force" exists or not. Till then, we have to keep our options open.

Now coming to your paradox with "almighty". Now see, languages have limitations, just like human beings. If THE Almighty, that many describe God as, is someone/something that can do anything at all, then your paradox certainly successfully finds a fault with that definition. But you see, what's the point of sticking to the literal definition of the word almighty? What I mean is, if someday I found out that scientists have proved that there is indeed someone/something that has been responsible for EVERYTHING so far, then I wouldn't be any less awestruck by the magnanimity of that hidden force or whatever it might be. And it wouldn't matter if it couldn't "create a stone that it cannot lift". So what if he/it couldn't do that? He created what we call the universe, isn't that mighty enough?? Like hell it is. You may say I have diverted from the original definition of almighty, but so be it. How does it make a difference.

I am ok with the concept of god by which you call him or rather simply utter "Oh god, please help" in times of distress. That's what I do. I consider god to be that chance factor, that unpredictability of life, and also the miracle, that we all hope would happen in tough times.

And I don't know if there is some definition out there that would make me an atheist or a theist. I don't want to be any, since I don't care. Also, I am afraid that on being labelled as one, I might become the enemy of another. But all I can say is that, since there has been a lot of bloodshed in the name of god and religion, I wouldn't mind one bit if these ideas were abolished. Probably, I would have a better chance of surviving the wars between conflicting ideas regarding these.

To summarize

I don't mind people saying there is some "almighty" or invisible force responsible for certain things. However, that is ok for me only if God is sought as an explanation for things that CANNOT be proven by our sciences. Otherwise, I find it totally unnecessary. (mind you, the invisible, invincible force i talked about just a while ago may be the actual reason why everything happens, including those which we thought could be explained by science. But since the existence of that mysterious "almighty" hasn't yet been proven, I will keep my options open but believe in the present scientific theories for the moment.) The problem is when you analyze the matter as a cause and effect problem, you will see that belief in god and religiousness has had very bad effects. This is a fact, and an unquestionable one. To counter that, some might give the example of communist nations like Soviet, but I don't believe that the oppression there had much to do with atheism or non-belief in god etc. They simply had bad leaders, who didn't care about the people. Hitler, the biggest enemy ever of mankind, believed in god. He believed in Christianity. And yet, he was nothing but a mass murderer. And there are many who believe in god and in religion and are good people also. So, these things are independent of each other. I am not saying people should stop believing in god and religion either. I do not support any extremism. And I certainly do not support discriminating on the basis of concepts on god and religion. I believe in this: all men were born equal and are to be treated equally, no matter what their belief is.
stentorianmouse
Posted: Tuesday, December 8, 2009 3:39:25 PM

Neurons: 60
abcxyz wrote:
Epiphileon wrote:
[quote=abcxyz]

I don't quite agree. if God doesn't exist it doesn't mean that everything that doesn't exist is God.

It's a bit like saying, the sky is blue, so the sky is "that which is blue".
kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Tuesday, December 8, 2009 4:38:40 PM

roverT33 wrote:
God is just one name of over 400 that he has. Why do you need to define ?, go seek him out. If you do it right you will hear the Voice of the spirit(It's more like a whisper). Don't just look in one place and think you have found him. There are a lot of false Prophets about, which his word warns you of....

See, I think there are nothing like false prophets or real prophets. Only good and bad human beings.
kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Tuesday, December 8, 2009 4:39:46 PM

pedro wrote:
Luftmarque wrote:

never quite sure what he meant there but someone stole my copy of that album at a party

Ya, what does that line mean??Think
26letters
Posted: Tuesday, December 8, 2009 4:40:06 PM

Neurons: 2,050
A god can be anything that becomes an object of worship by those who serve them.

It can be Almighty God - as in Genesis 1:1 = “In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.” (NAB)

This is the God that a true Christian gives exclusive devotion to - Mark 12:30 = “Therefore you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all you soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.” (NAB)

Not all who claim to worship Almighty God are truly doing so, which means their real god is something else. - Matthew 15:8,9 = “This people pays me lip-service, but their heart is far from me; their worship of me is in vain, for they teach as doctrines the commandments of men.” (NE)

There are many things worshipped - 1 Corinthians 8:5,6 = “Even though there are so-called gods in the heavens and on the earth - there are, to be sure, many such “gods” and “lords” - for us there is one God, the Father, from whom all things come and for whom we live; and one Lord Jesus Christ …” (NAB)

Some worship the god of “good luck“, or “fate” - Isaiah 65:11,12 = “but you who forsake the Lord, forgetting my holy mountain, You who spread a table for Fortune and fill cups of blended wine for Destiny, You I will destine for the sword …” (NAB)

Even one’s physical needs can become one’s god - Philippians 3:19 = “They are heading for destruction, appetite is their god, and they glory in their shame. Their minds are set on earthly things.” (NE)
Nobigdeal
Posted: Wednesday, December 9, 2009 11:05:14 AM

Neurons: 12
[43] Have you (O Muhammad (peace be upon him)) seen him who has taken as his ilâh (god) his own desire? Would you then be a Wakîl (a disposer of his affairs or a watcher) over him?

God ceated everything including space and time; He needs no space to exist. [11] The Creator of the heavens and the earth. He has made for you mates from yourselves, and for the cattle (also) mates. By this means He creates you (in the wombs). There is nothing like Him; and He is the All-Hearer, the All-Seer.

No matter how far the human brain can get, it shall always be limited and therefore completely unable to understand what it is all about. Ignoring sides of the truth makes us far from understanding reality of things. Man ignores much of what is on our planet, leave alone what's beyond it. [103] No vision can grasp Him, but He Grasps all vision. He is Al-Latîf (the Most Subtle and Courteous), Well-Acquainted with all things.

Do we have souls? Well, can anyone explain what makes us animate, alive? [85] And they ask you (O Muhammad (peace be upon him)) concerning the Rûh (the Spirit); Say: "The Rûh (the Spirit): it is one of the things, the knowledge of which is only with my Lord. And of knowledge, you (mankind) have been given only a little." So if we can't know much about what we are, how are we supposed to know what's behind this perfect universe that can in no case be the output of chaos or even more than one creator?
micahartist
Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2012 12:09:43 AM

Neurons: 3
i read here on http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/the-present-with-religion/ultimate-truth.html on page 24 that GOD is an ancient word meaning literally "that which is." G-that O-which D-is. click on the link if you want to read about it yourself. it is saying that GOD is not a man up in the sky, nor does he not exist. but he is rather life itself, and everything included in life. He is not an almighty being but the unexaggerated thing called life. and he is the truth OF life.
That which is: The literal meaning of the word “truth” is “that which is.”
The living truth = that which is.
That which is = the present.
That which is = GOD.
If you do not know the truth this is GOD's and your relationship: GOD Brick wall
if you do, this is it: GODDancing
it doesnt say believe a certain religion, it says if you know the truth of life, you know GOD
Blooper
Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2012 12:21:47 AM

Neurons: 2,292
According to Southampton FC fans Matt Le Tissier is god
pedro
Posted: Monday, September 3, 2012 5:25:15 AM

According to some Tootenham fans, Andre Villas-Boas is about to be thrown out of Heaven.