The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

English to italian translation needed for a tattoo (biblical) Options
Lubrew
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2014 3:41:31 PM

Neurons: 10
hi,
I want to get a tattoo that says "love is patient, love is kind" in italian. I've done loads of research and want to go with a biblical translation since it is a quote from the bible. I've found that the bible that is traditionally used in Italy is the CEI version, so the translation for my quote should be
"La carità è paziente, è benigna la carità"
I want to make sure that if someone who speaks or knows Italian saw the tattoo, would they understand it? Does it make sense?
A lot of people here in the states have tattoos that say love is patient, love is kind... If someone in Italy were going to get the same tattoo, would theirs say
La carità è paziente, è benigna la carità?
I appreciate any help!!! Just want to be 100% positive!!!
Vicki Holzknecht
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2014 10:45:26 PM

Neurons: 61,514
Maybe you can use a online translator

Google Translate
Marco D'Andrea
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 3:20:18 AM

Neurons: 5
The Italian version sounds more poetic/literary in phrasing and diction, where the English is more plain and simple. Obviously, keep in mind that the Italian version is not a translation of the English version, rather, they're both independent translations from the same original source.

In terms of vocabulary:

1.love' is normally 'amore' in Italian, but in this verse, it says 'carità'. This word sounds like charity, and in everyday Italian that's what most Italian speakers would mean when they hear or say 'carità': 'to give away something, or anyway help someone in need'. However, I think in Catholic doctrine, the word 'carità' has a more specific meaning.

2. 'kind': in Italian it's usually 'gentile', 'generoso'. 'Benigno' is pretty much the same as the English word 'benign'.

Finally, in terms of phrasing, the structure is a bit more poetic, with a verb/subject inversion in the second half of the sentence. To put it into English it's something like "love is patient, kind is love".

You ask whether someone in Italy who wanted to get the same tattoo would have it written exactly like the CEI version. It's hard to say. I can say for sure that the CEI version is not what an Italian would translate the English verse into. As I said, the word carità instead of 'amore' (for 'love'), is what might throw off a few people reading it. It might sound as if your making a statement for humanitarianism and helping the poor, rather than about Love (not that the two things are unrelated!).

If you want a more straightforward translation of the verse you like, it goes like this:

"l'amore è paziente, l'amore è generoso"

This sounds nice and simple, like the English.

Alternatively, you might look at the dozens of other Italian translations of the Bible and see if you find something you like more.

Lubrew
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 11:20:55 PM

Neurons: 10
Thank you! I was thinking of going with "l'amore è paziente, l'amore è gentile"...
sarah71
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2014 8:24:10 AM

Neurons: 78,934
Lubrew wrote:
Thank you! I was thinking of going with "l'amore è paziente, l'amore è gentile"...

Hi Lubrew,
that's what I would have gone for.

Cheers