mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
give for / to ?? Options
ipipip
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 4:05:49 PM

Neurons: 1,285
1.VERB (批准;许可) To license a person or activity means to give official permission for the person to do something or for the activity to take place.

From - here

Is "give for" a wrong phrase? I suppose that it should be "give to the person". Am I right?

What is meant by "give for" here?

Thanks a lot.
FounDit
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 4:24:44 PM

Neurons: 80,501
ipipip wrote:
1.VERB (批准;许可) To license a person or activity means to give official permission for the person to do something or for the activity to take place.

From - here

Is "give for" a wrong phrase? I suppose that it should be "give to the person". Am I right?

What is meant by "give for" here?

Thanks a lot.

"For" is one of those prepositions in English that can do so much. In this case, it does say almost the same thing as "give to the person", but here it is being used as this definition:

for:
a. Used to indicate the recipient or beneficiary of an action:

A person or entity is the recipient of the license or permission. The person or entity is being allowed to do something. The form of that permission is usually a piece of paper that is given "to" the person or entity, but can also be said in this manner: The person, or entity, has been "licensed" for ...something.
coldpearls1022
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 8:52:18 PM

Neurons: 3,157
I think "for" here simply marks the subject of the infinitive governed by "permission". For instance, we can say "It is hard to stay objective" if we leave the subject of the infinitive indefinite, but if we want to specify it we can also say "It is hard for those involved to stay objective". So in the present case: "permission to do sth" - "permission for s.o. to do sth".