mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Peter Mark Roget (1779) Options
Daemon
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,155
Peter Mark Roget (1779)

If you have ever used a thesaurus, you have Roget to thank. He was an English physician who created not only the Thesaurus of English Words and Phrases—a comprehensive classification of synonyms that he published in 1852 during his retirement—but also a slide rule for calculating the roots and powers of numbers. Roget was an obsessive list-maker, and it has been speculated that he worked on the thesaurus to combat depressive tendencies. What institution did Roget help to establish? More...
Professor
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 12:46:06 AM

Neurons: 42,404
Daemon wrote:
Peter Mark Roget (1779)

If you have ever used a thesaurus, you have Roget to thank. He was an English physician who created not only the —a comprehensive classification of synonyms that he published in 1852 during his retirement—but also a slide rule for calculating the roots and powers of numbers. Roget was an obsessive list-maker, and it has been speculated that he worked on the thesaurus to combat depressive tendencies. What institution did Roget help to establish? More...

Several years ago, when I was 19 I had a mentor that gave me his thesaurus. At that age I though that it was an amazing book and I used it often over the years. I still have it albeit dogeared and tattered. My mentor has long since passed but I think of him often and of the gift he gave me.
CheVegas ☁️ ✈ ☁️
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 4:55:02 AM

Neurons: 350,540
It is amazing that a man's avocation led to one of the most famous reference books in the English-speaking world. Impressive!
Absurdicuss
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 5:58:43 PM

Neurons: 30,734
Awesome, cool, wicked, gnarly.
MTC
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 8:11:50 PM

Neurons: 8,606

Thesarus: The jungle of English words and phrases arranged in rows and columns like corn.

Apocrypha of MTC