mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
The Twenty-One Demands (1915) Options
Daemon
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 98,790
The Twenty-One Demands (1915)

Japan gained a large sphere of interest in northern China through its victories in the First Sino-Japanese War and the Russo-Japanese War, thus joining the ranks of the European imperialist powers scrambling to establish control over China. Japan used its 1914 declaration of war against Germany as grounds for invading German holdings in China. Then, ignoring the Chinese request to withdraw, Japan secretly presented the Chinese president with an ultimatum. What were some of the demands? More...
CheVegas ☁️ ✈ ☁️
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 5:02:38 AM

Neurons: 350,540
What goes around, comes around. Good luck keeping those islands, Japan. Ditto Philippines.

The world has created a new Baby Huey.
TheParser
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 6:31:07 AM

Neurons: 22,062
Germany, I hear, has really, really, really apologized for what "that individual" (he does not deserve to be named) did to his country and the world during the 1930's and the first part of the 1940's.

Japan, I hear, has NEVER REALLY apologized for its horrific and impertinent behavior toward China and Korea during the 20th century.

CheVegas ☁️ ✈ ☁️
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 8:48:29 AM

Neurons: 350,540
TheParser wrote:
...Japan, I hear, has NEVER REALLY apologized...

The Japanese who were responsible are dead now. Who expects the current generations to apologize? Likewise, it makes no sense for a 12 year old American girl to apologize for the historical atrocity of slavery in her republic.
TheParser
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 9:05:27 AM

Neurons: 22,062
Chevegas wrote:
TheParser wrote:

The Japanese who were responsible are dead now.

Yes, I believe that you are correct.

But I have read:

(a) The truth has never been taught to Japanese school children.

(b) Even today, some prominent Japanese leaders do not feel that Japan was actually at fault.

(i) You have probably read that the prime minister of Japan recently visited a place where some military leaders are buried. This was considered a very insensitive act. Some of those leaders were responsible for horrific acts against the Chinese and Koreans. (For example, unspeakable atrocities in Nanking / Nanjing.)

Today's Germans had nothing to do with "that individual" 's inhuman acts, but the German government continues to apologize, to hunt down any Nazi leaders who may still be alive, and to even ban the publication of "that individual" 's book. It has also given much money to Israel.

The world respects Germany for its repentant attitude.

The world is very disappointed by Japan's refusal to completely admit its guilt.

mangezi
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 4:34:10 PM

Neurons: 65,799
Daemon wrote:
The Twenty-One Demands (1915)

Japan gained a large sphere of interest in northern China through its victories in the First Sino-Japanese War and the Russo-Japanese War, thus joining the ranks of the European imperialist powers scrambling to establish control over China. Japan used its 1914 declaration of war against Germany as grounds for invading German holdings in China. Then, ignoring the Chinese request to withdraw, Japan secretly presented the Chinese president with an ultimatum. What were some of the demands? More...
What were some of the demands?

Ranged from Japanese advisors
appointed to the Chinese central
government and to administer the Chinese police force (which would severely intrude on Chinese sovereignty) to allowing Japanese Buddhist preachers to conduct
missionary activities in China.
Guto André
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 9:36:37 PM

Neurons: 25,311
Knowing the negative reaction "Group 5" would cause, Japan initially tried to keep its contents secret. The Chinese government attempted to stall for as long as possible and leaked the full contents of the Twenty-One Demands to the European powers in the hope that a perceived threat to their own political/economic spheres of interest would help contain Japan.
Professor
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 11:35:22 PM

Neurons: 42,404
Chevegas wrote:
TheParser wrote:

The Japanese who were responsible are dead now. Who expects the current generations to apologize? Likewise, it makes no sense for a 12 year old American girl to apologize for the historical atrocity of slavery in her republic.

They have apologized for WWII and Pearl Harbor.a