mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
South African Hospitals Sending Home Patients with Deadly TB Options
Daemon
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 98,814
South African Hospitals Sending Home Patients with Deadly TB

Researchers have identified an alarming practice in South Africa that is contributing to the spread of extensively-drug resistant (XDR) and totally drug-resistant (TDR) tuberculosis. When patients with these highly drug-resistant strains of TB do not respond to treatment, South African hospitals routinely discharge them and allow them to return to their homes, where they may expose relatives and other members of their communities to the disease. The problem is that doctors need to free up beds in TB hospitals for patients who may respond to treatment, but there are few residential or palliative care facilities to accept the patients they discharge. More...
CheVegas ☁️ ✈ ☁️
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 3:33:16 AM

Neurons: 350,540
It appears I'll be deleting that trip from my "bucket list." I always looked forward to a drive from Cape Town and north through Namibia, then east to Victoria Falls.

Ah, well...it ain't worth gettin' da consumption over, no sir!
mangezi
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 3:04:41 PM

Neurons: 65,799
Chevegas wrote:
It appears I'll be deleting that trip from my "bucket list." I always looked forward to a drive from Cape Town and north through Namibia, then east to Victoria Falls.

South Africa is where I am and surprisingly, this is my first time hearing about it. I listen to talk radio shows and will put it up for debate. South Africa has one of if not the best facilities in Africa.
Yakcal
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 4:54:10 PM

Neurons: 31,961
muketah wrote:
Chevegas wrote:

South Africa is where I am and surprisingly, this is my first time hearing about it. I listen to talk radio shows and will put it up for debate. South Africa has one of if not the best facilities in Africa.

When I read, muketah, that you live there and hadn't heard about this, I, the cynical part of me at least, immediately supposed that that was by design. Why would the authorities want this news spread in the area that this is taking place? If people are being sent home with the two types that cannot be treated, and that practice is widely known, that may make someone who has a case that can be treated less likely to go for treatment believing that they may just be told to go home.

I'm sure facilities are top-notch there, but if the cases that cannot be treated continue to increase there will come a time when local authorities must consider some sort of quarantine, lest the entire region become infected with either the XDR or TDR strain of the disease.