mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
I heartily accept the motto, "That government is best which governs least"; and I should like to see it acted up to more... Options
Daemon
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 98,814
I heartily accept the motto, "That government is best which governs least"; and I should like to see it acted up to more rapidly and systematically.

Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)
Professor
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 12:54:41 AM

Neurons: 42,404
Daemon wrote:
I heartily accept the motto, "That government is best which governs least"; and I should like to see it acted up to more rapidly and systematically.

Of course Government is one of the pillar of civilized humanity but there are four others that must be in balance or society will collapse---economic, spiritual, environment and youth. Without all five society will cease to function. When one gets out of balance, turmoil results. So in the end we need just enough government and not a gram more. To much and the economic leg becomes affected, too little and the environmental leg becomes affected. We need to have balance.
CheVegas ☁️ ✈ ☁️
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 2:09:18 AM

Neurons: 350,540
Corporations are not "people," even though the law deems them as such. They are motivated solely by profit, and must be regulated. Thoreau could not have foreseen the untold corruption, economic fallout, and the personal and environmental disasters elicited by irresponsible corporate activities.

Socially, okay...less governing is better. In the elevated spheres of Capitalism, however, more regulation is needed.

I utterly dare any Tea Party advocate or Gordon Gekko-wannabe to debate me on this subject. (Yes, I'm sabre-rattling on this one.) If you feel emboldened, here's some backstory to consider before throwing down the gauntlet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y888wVY5hzw or https://archive.org/details/The.Corporation

If this doesn't convince you, I have plenty of other aces in the hole, and a veritable cornucopia of examples and evidence.

/end vitriol
HasmukhDoshi
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 4:25:03 AM

Neurons: 200,117
True!
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 4:30:45 AM

Neurons: 656,606
And the people are best who need least governance.
Klaas V
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 7:50:51 AM

Neurons: 4,802
Am I the only one who's noticing some anarchistic sentiment here and now?
Marguerite
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 7:52:54 AM

Neurons: 23,973
chevegas: I signed on long ago. Corporations will defiinitely make life unlivable for the majority on earth. All you have to do is step out your door to see it. Government has no choice but to regulate such unbriddled greed. But our government is not about to do that anytime soon. We are governed by craven pyschopaths who are on board with the corporations.
Bully_rus
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 8:21:42 AM

Neurons: 350,719
Daemon wrote:

It was impossible then why it must be more plausible now? If government leave for good a medicine, education and something else, is it really will be the best government at all? Think that time needs a precise decisions not simple ones.
TheParser
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 8:29:14 AM

Neurons: 22,062
Daemon wrote:
"That government is best which governs least."

That is a very attractive idea.

Sadly, it will not work.

Two-legged animals are like the four-legged ones: they are separated into the predators and the prey.

Government is the only protection that the prey have against the predators.

Here is a minor example:

Here in my city, many taxicab drivers used to have a secret button to make their meters go faster. Finally, a few years ago, the city leaders (after getting complaints from residents and foreign visitors) mandated new tamper-proof meters. Of course, like all predators, I would not be surprised if some drivers find a way to tamper with those new meters, too.

Oh, yes, I have just finished reading an article in a reputable business magazine that some American slaughter houses do not have sanitary conditions. In other words, we never know what has been put into the meat that we buy.

It seems that in 2014, we need MORE government to protect the prey, not less.

Oh, and what those young gentlemen who have been walking down the streets of our large ciites and knocking people down. Talk about predators!
CheVegas ☁️ ✈ ☁️
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 9:01:04 AM

Marguerite wrote:
We are governed by craven pyschopaths who are on board with the corporations.

You are 100% correct.

Funny you mention "psychopaths." The documentary I refer to in my previous post psychoanalyzes Corporations as if they were in fact "people." Based on their behavior, they are ultimately deemed textbook Psychopaths. The politicians are simply their whores and gigolos.

Two of my favorite YT videos are the prophetic warnings of Ike and Murrow regarding "bedfellowship" of Big Biz and Political Prostitutes. They too were 100% correct:

1. President Dwight D. Eisenhower: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg-jvHynP9Y & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu6NfCdGIIQ
2. Edward R. Murrow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8QR_FERgvs & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cfwsfGqgPM
FounDit
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 10:26:51 AM

Neurons: 72,706
*Mounting soapbox*:

Corporations are greedy and corrupt! People who wield power in Government are greedy and corrupt! How shocking!

Really? Is anyone truly surprised? Humans are born totally selfish. They must be taught to think otherwise. Socialization skills such as respect and consideration must be inculcated in the young in order to make society function with any kind of sensible order.

I know it has become a favorite political talking point, but it’s almost silly to hurl epithets at corporations and government as if some great truth had been discovered.

Neither government regulation nor free-wheeling capitalism will result in a well-run society. There must be a balance between those two, and that balance must come from we the people, not in depending on the altruism of corporations or government. They are run by humans, and humans are selfish.

So quit whining and start paying attention to what is happening around you, get involved, and vote. Our founders gave the power to us, so if you give it away to politicians or corporations, you have no right to complain.

*End of Rant*

userpinkie777
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 10:42:05 AM

Neurons: 38,663
As long as there is no tyranny and democracy reigns, I see no problem with being governed in America. Think
Cat
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 10:42:49 AM

Neurons: 194,017
I second your response, FounDit!
Franklyn Wesley
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 12:05:06 PM

Neurons: 7,175
Daemon wrote:

Quote:
jcbarros
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 1:30:47 PM

Neurons: 12,902
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely, so..."Vive l'anarchie!"Dancing
Verbatim
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 2:53:13 PM

Neurons: 248,987
Daemon wrote:

The opening paragraph from Thoreau's "Civil Disobedience", when read carefully, indicates what he thought government was, an expedient (noun).
In a nice word play he asserts what governments are like, inexpedient (adjective). Thoreau was yearning for the perfect government, the quality of good government.
When men are prepared for it --not as yet-- government will govern not at all. He, unlike someone else, stopped short of saying that men deserve the government they have.
And for clarity Thoreau makes his point in paragraph [3]. Here are the quotes with my emphasis added:

""I HEARTILY ACCEPT the motto, — "That government is best which governs least";(1) and I should like to see it acted up to more rapidly and systematically. Carried out, it finally amounts to this, which also I believe, — "That government is best which governs not at all"; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have. Government is at best but an expedient; but most governments are usually, and all governments are sometimes, inexpedient.""

"" [3]But, to speak practically and as a citizen, unlike those who call themselves no-government men,(4) I ask for, not at once no government, but at once a better government. Let every man make known what kind of government would command his respect, and that will be one step toward obtaining it.""

Therefore, Let every man make known what kind of government would command his respect means more than just "voting the rascals out",
or else government will always be inexpedient at best, and wide open for the worst, by way of rotating the same rascals in.
Chaireas
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 3:21:41 PM

Neurons: 68,479
Klaas V wrote:

I hear you. Think
fad
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 5:11:54 PM

Neurons: 645
I think when he was talking about governing less, he meant not intervene in people's private affair.
Miriam...
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 6:13:21 PM

Neurons: 12,634
I think WHAT is being goverened is what is important. Have you ever wondered why in a school, or a school bus, or a work place, for example, that bulling or violence takes place? I always wonder: Well, where are the teachers-or the bus drivers-or the monitotors, managers,or the *police* -when there is a real need for them? And , why do they not intervine or protect the person/child/old person when a crime or travestries against one's dignity, or an injustice is being commited?

Absurdicuss
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 9:19:55 PM

Neurons: 30,734
FD wrote:

Neither government regulation nor free-wheeling capitalism will result in a well-run society. There must be a balance between those two, and that balance must come from we the people, not in depending on the altruism of corporations or government. They are run by humans, and humans are selfish.

So quit whining and start paying attention to what is happening around you, get involved, and vote. Our founders gave the power to us, so if you give it away to politicians or corporations, you have no right to complain.

A call to action FD, and rightly so.

Our natural rights pre-exist the founding of government. This is the cornerstone of American exceptionalism in that our founders codified this truth into the constitution.

The power of our government is derived from "We the People" by consent. The past hundred years has seen a transformation of our elected official form governors to rulers.

As already stated: power corrupts. Why? because the default state of the heart of man is corrupt.

May I recommend that anyone interested in researching the basis for FD's comments Google quotes from the founding fathers of the United States.
dusty
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 10:05:23 PM

Neurons: 5,765
yeah right! FD&A, we're an example of democracy at it's finest!

One where the Voice of the People is only the majority of one third of the voice, which is a one third who is heavily manipulated by the AP (asscoiated press AKA apostle paul) and no matter how much repubs blame it about people not caring that is nothing but a croc of crap, secure online casting of ballots known as Voting, would not only yield the True majority of the People's Voice, but it would save millions in money any several times that amount in per capital hours of TIME, hell it might even thwart the Capitalistic Republican's unspoken last ditch nuclear plan of attack which is to report the winner so that the ACTUAL VOTE OF THE ELECTORATE can continue to be the dog wagged by the tale and then where are WE THE PEOPLE AT?

anyone who claims to believe in a Democracy, yet doesn't care about The Voice, couldn't give a crap about what the Voice Speaks, there only concern is whether or not they can manipulate it, and therefore control it.

It's like championing Democracy, so long as you don't vote for Islam as opposed to voting for Christianity, even though they worship the same GOD, it's just that the mainstream manipulated framed mind of Judaism, Islam, and esp Christianity chose to worship in a god dammed fashion wherein Truth is not the priority, but rather the psychology behind the lies the masses believe. The problem are those who don't respect the will of the People, which is not the majority of one third, but of the MAJORITY.

Henry David's Spirit was resurrected, just like all were 33 years after a date that served as a Spiritual Meridian in Time, that began with Christ Returning at birth, and again and again through many hosts which are Houses, and nothing will prevent that fact that He is Risen, People will either voluntarily choose to live responsibly of they will never actually know what Life Is and they failed to recognize this as there last chance at Living the rest of their Lives in His House, His Kingdom, and if they are just going to sleep walk, good riddance, as their pretenders dance or immitation of being awake or awoken won't make the cut of the good written name, One Name in The Book doesn't cut it, everyone has a record in the Book of Life, and one in Death, you need to remember Your name and recognize it the Second Time, or else it's only one, and that's a life but not lives, and it doesn't even really count in being written in the Book where the Living names are and their Lives.
dusty
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 10:43:01 PM

Neurons: 5,765
and rather than keep editing and add content to my previously posted reply, I just keep going rather than change what is left for people to see.

In Thoreau's words, it seems he is speaking more along the lines of what Verbatim heard, it's time for people to start speaking out. Yes everyone should be allowed privacy of their vote if they choose it, but these days, when so much more is understood about the Real difference between right and wrong, between respect when there is an absence of Love, there is no longer any excuses. It can't be justified by the tired old excuse that humans are selfish, there is no "selfish gene", that crap is learned just like bigotry.

But WE know better, these days WE understand why wrongful discrimination is wrong, and if People Don't speak out or have the courage to not fall into line with the perceived frame of mind of the majority --- WHICH NEVER IS WHAT THE ACTUAL MAJORITY THINKS OR BELIEVES --- but rather what We are tricked, fooled into believing is the way the majority views each topic.

If nobody ever stood up to confront the White Male's view of Heaven, it would likely turn into the Hell it sometimes feel like, the very real hell as it is experienced by those we turn our backs to their suffering and pretend they don't exist because it isn't convenient.

I'd like to see the how faithful, upstanding, never changing course and how much of Reality white males really understand after suffering the minor pain of a back ache, tooth ache, or improperly functioning organ, after just a week, or if they had to suffer a months worth of life in someone's shoes they would rather forget about, because it isn't convenient and the foolish belief that the have not's didn't work as hard and therefore didn't deserve it.

It's not just the lower class Americans that I am talking about, in fact it isn't them at all, relatively speaking the only thing they have to bitch about is the white male upper class.

We cannot live in the future as present day Americans currently live and survive

not unless planned.

And the truth is that the life we do live doesn't have to change all that much so long as we can give up the wasteful life that is the result from demanding everything be within access on the slightest whim

Choice is Good, but believing it's good to have it all available instantly as opposed to planning it out a month ahead of time isn't freedom, that type of whim is called an addiction.

It's not that what we have is the curse, it's having to have it all in position for any of US to grab within ten minutes should we be fall for the strong psychology employed by today's advertising firms.

Denial will kill US, not denying the Truth will enable those who choose to, to Live
CheVegas ☁️ ✈ ☁️
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2014 2:17:54 PM

FounDit wrote:
*Mounting soapbox*:

Corporations are greedy and corrupt! People who wield power in Government are greedy and corrupt! How shocking!

Really? Is anyone truly surprised? Humans are born totally selfish. They must be taught to think otherwise. Socialization skills such as respect and consideration must be inculcated in the young in order to make society function with any kind of sensible order.

I know it has become a favorite political talking point, but it’s almost silly to hurl epithets at corporations and government as if some great truth had been discovered.

Oooo...yours is blue, it must be true! BTW, I didn't detect "whining" in prior posts; more like bitching, and rightly warranted. Also, people on this site are fairly wise, from what I've read--your suggestion for local involvement and civil participation is likely misplaced.
Klaas V
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2014 1:30:24 PM

Neurons: 4,802
Chaireas wrote:
Klaas V wrote:

I hear you. Think

tack så mycket, Chaireas
You are number one.

Now we're talking more or less about politics a riddle:

Invented in Germany;
practiced at their north-western neighbor;
became a fine art in Italy.

What is it?