mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
What's in your name? Options
sandraleesmith46
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 5:39:49 AM

Neurons: 2,132
Something I've found fascinating, and this goes for all cultures, is the meaning of names, and their origin. My own name Sandra is a derivation of the Italian Alessanda, or Alexandra, meaning "helper of mankind", and Lee is a sheltered place, as in the lee side of an island. Smith is a metal worker. If you think about it that's a pretty heavy handle to stick on a kid, a lot to live up to, or try to live down, whichever way you view it. So what's in some of your names?
vagnersiqueira
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 5:59:05 AM

Neurons: 89
Well...

There isn't anything interesting about my name or its origin, really...
I see people saying that their names have beautiful meanings, like angels, water flowing, the ones that brings peace... My name, for example, comes from the German Wagner, which meaning is the one that buids wagons... Yeap, wagons for trains, subways!!! How marvellous is that??? lol
Blodybeef
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 6:31:56 AM

Neurons: 615,487
My name comes from the belief that, other than our intellect and our scientific advancements, we are nothing but livestock. Not so different from the cow in the field, or the cat that licks itself after eating its meal. Whatever that may be...

Or you may also approach from a different angle and assume that it represents my belief that todays' human relations are shallow, and that I am the beef on your plate, served warm and bloody, and when you will be done with me I will exist no more than the nutritions I have left in you (if any)
:)
yep that's me, the BlodyBeef himself.

(by the way, the missing "o" went bike riding :)
MarySM
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 6:51:07 AM

Neurons: 6,084
My name is actually Mary Jane! Unfortunately, in spanish it translates to marijuana! No I was not named after an illegal substance and "Mary" actually means bitter. The lesson is that our children will never like the names we give them, especially when they are teenagers.
Kat
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 6:52:05 AM

Neurons: 3,389
As far as I know, Katherine means pure
(no comment)
kruger
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 6:55:56 AM

Neurons: 471
I think I had already posted a topic called "Etymology of your user name"
kiran_11
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 7:14:43 AM

Neurons: 77
My name is Kiran Upadhyayula. Kiran means ray of light, and Upadhyayula means teacher. Well, Upadhyay means teacher but it's close enough.
risadr
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 8:08:03 AM

Neurons: 3,545
kruger wrote:

I think that this question is about the meanings of our GIVEN names, not our usernames.

To answer the question, my first and middle names (Risa Lilith) mean, together, "laughter of the night." My married name literally translates to "of the rock," in Italian. My maiden name, I recently found out, doesn't mean anything. My grandfather's father changed our family name from Levine when my grandfather was a small boy, because there were too many Levines in the phone book.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 10:06:52 AM

Neurons: 594,898
risadr wrote:
kruger wrote:

I think that this question is about the meanings of our GIVEN names, not our usernames.

Agree with Kruger and Risa.

My given name is Kimmo. It's an old Finnish name from the times before Christianity came in Finland. My second given name, Sakari, comes from biblical Zacharias.

Kimmo means reflection of light or sparkling. In old Finnish it also meant a gem.

I have explained the meaning and pronunciation of Jyrkkä Jätkä in other topics.
TB
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 10:29:20 AM

Neurons: 4,277
William (Bill)
wi(l)-liam\ is pronounced WIL-yum. It is of Old German origin, and its meaning is "will helmet, protection". For a long time after the Norman conquest in AD 1066, three out of four English boys were given some form of the conqueror's name, William.

My wife says it means 'hard headed'Think
Blodybeef
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 10:37:28 AM

Neurons: 615,487
my NAME? I won't give you my Blody name! on THE net!
(looking nervously around, he taps his fingertips, small drops of perspiration visible on his paling face... rapidly moving pink eyes wide open,)
Anxious
Nuri Can; Nuri meaning of holy light, Can (reads John) means life, but when used as a name it means the soul and essence of a person or a lively and charming person
(facing the facts, he asks "Am I really lively and charming?)Think
Christine
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 10:47:44 AM

Neurons: 15,842
Christine means fair Christian or follow of Christ. A form of Christina. My Greece relatives call me Christina. When I was little I was called Tina.
Galad
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 10:52:00 AM

Neurons: 10,532
Paul:

From the Roman family name Paulus, which meant "small" or "humble" in Latin.
kauserali
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 11:53:34 AM

Neurons: 1,955
My name is Kauser. It is derived from an arabic word kateer meaning 'a lot' and my name means abundance. Its abundance of spirituality, happiness, wealth and all other good things :-D .
It appears in the Quran and is said to be the name of a river in Paradise.
valenarwen
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 12:21:11 PM

Neurons: 1,025
My name is Valentina, latin in origin and it apparently means 'strong, vigorous and healthy'

Yup, that's me :-P
Drew
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 12:23:28 PM

Neurons: 4,487
For the longest time, I've owned a mug that says my name, Andrew, means "strong." I just did a bit of extra research and found that the name apparently derives from Greek and means "man" or "warrior."
Richard
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 2:45:57 PM

Neurons: 1,043
My name means "powerful ruler", which is completely ironic since I am neither powerful nor a ruler.
JPK
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 3:04:23 PM

Neurons: 1,998
Jean means "God's grace"... which is weird because I am neither god's or gracious...

Philippe means "one who loves horses". I don't dislike horses, but I'm not particularly fond of them either!

As for my last name, I have no idea...
zdeb_d123
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 3:12:04 PM

Neurons: 312
First: Bee or "Busy as a bee"
Middle: Compassion
Last: Messenger

Think

These ARE the meanings of my given names.
sandraleesmith46
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 3:24:59 PM

I was looking for given names, not on-line handles. What's fascinating often, as Richard pointed out, is how little our names fit us, or we fit them, or how well. Many of the names of European origin I have known, because I've studied it, and many of the "Biblical" names of Judeo-Christian origin as well, but it's difficult to locate, in books in the US, names based in Asian, or African languages, and I'm sort of a nosy sort. I've learned some of our Native American {formerly red Indians of cowboys and Indians fame} names as well, living in proximity to Navajo, Hopi, and Yavapai Apache reservations, but what got me started on it was working in newborn nurseries in the late 1960's and early 1970's, during the height of the Hippie era in the US, and seeing some of the names mothers were hanging on their kids then. We often wondered, as nurses, WHAT, if anything, those mothers were thinking! And from there, I started wondering if Anglo-Saxon based names meant anything or were just labels, and so on. Thank-you all for your input. It really is fascinating, to me at least.
LeadPal
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 5:13:59 PM

Neurons: 1,413
"God is my judge". I would assume that he is, in fact, most people's judge, but apparently just for people with my name.
Geeman
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 6:07:08 PM

Neurons: 125,022
Geeman is a transformative of my given name, G***, which is from the Old Elvish for "He whose social security number shall not be named."

True story: I was looking up my friends' surnames in one of those on-line resources that compiles such things, and I found out that the name "Juarez" is derivative of both "Army of the South" and "makers of cheese." That, of course, led to a whole set of possible nicknames for that particular buddy....
twinsonic
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 6:21:52 PM

Neurons: 1,322
Nothing. My parents gave my brothers and me names that couldn't be shortened. Mine is Lisa.
I picked names for my children based on how they sounded with the last name. Some were discounted because they meant something odd!
nooblet
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 8:05:13 PM

Neurons: 4,778
My first name roughly means "toll collector" or "at the cross roads." My last name has no known meaning, but is the name of a Jewish tradition. For a long time, I thought my last name was German, but it turns out it is in fact not.

I find it funny that my dad's side of the family is Roman Catholic, yet our last name is Jewish. But after I did some research, it actually makes sense because according to tradition, Jewish women could not choose to stray away from Judaism. However, the men were allowed to choose who they married, and would sometimes marry into families of other religions. So Judaism typically survives through the mother, or did in the past, anyway.

I can't tell you my name, though, because it uniquely identifies me.
rosicrucian
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 9:10:05 PM

Neurons: 425
My parents got my name from Michelangelo Buonarroti. 1475-1564, Florentine sculptor, painter, architect, and poet; one of the outstanding figures of the Renaissance. The good thing is that I know how to draw also, I took Architecture when I was in college. I'm wondering how my parents knew that I'm going to have that talent the same
with Michelangelo. But I'm not saying that the quality of Michelangelo's artworks were the same as what I'm doing.
But still, I'm glad.
sandraleesmith46
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 9:16:35 PM

Nooblet writes that the family is Roman Catholic, but the surname is Jewish in origin. There is another, somewhat darker, possible reason for that. During the Holocaust of WWII, some Jewish people at least nominally converted to Roman Catholicism to avoid the death camps, particularly in Poland. It didn't always work, but they did try that. Some reverted after the war, many didn't.
Articulate Dreamer
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 9:50:21 PM

Neurons: 97,282
My name is Ajit, which translates as invincible in Sanskrit, and has been used as an epithet for the two major Hindu deities, Vishnu and Shiva.
Incidentally, a whole lot of Indian (Sanskrit) names begin with
~'A' (pronounced like the 'u' as in utter) and signify some negation, though with a flattering conotation : Anupam: incomparable; Ajay: undefeatable; Alok: not of (and therefore, beyond) this world.
~'Pra' signifying an emphasis: Prakash: bright light; Praveen: extremely adept; Pramod: giving great happiness
~'su' signifying goodness : Sudeep: Good light; Suneet: well mannered; Suhas: A good smile
~'Vi' signifying, again, emphasis: Vijaya, Vineet, Vishal, Vikram
Whoops! Sorry dinna mean to take up this much space. Angel
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 10:03:13 PM

Articulate Dreamer wrote:

Not at all too much space. Fascinating info. Thanks.
Sanskrit is Indian Latin. What is your native language? Hindi, Bengali, Gujarati, Urdu, Assamese, Oriya, Punjabi?
nooblet
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 10:12:21 PM

Neurons: 4,778
sandraleesmith46 wrote:
Nooblet writes that the family is Roman Catholic, but the surname is Jewish in origin. There is another, somewhat darker, possible reason for that. During the Holocaust of WWII, some Jewish people at least nominally converted to Roman Catholicism to avoid the death camps, particularly in Poland. It didn't always work, but they did try that. Some reverted after the war, many didn't.

That is not the case, for my family name. My family was already living in the US at that time, and unfortunately, some of the people in my family 3 generations before me were supporters of Hitler and were promptly thrown into jail here in the US. But I also contemplated that possibility for a while.

I don't think it's really necessary, but I will say it anyway. Regardless of what some of my ancestors may have advocated, I do not approve of what Hitler did.

Also, my parents decided to get married outside the Roman Catholic Church, and so I was born outside of a religious community and am pretty much agnostic.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 10:18:39 PM

"What is your native language? Hindi, Bengali, Gujarati, Urdu, Assamese, Oriya, Punjabi?"
Well, looking map I'd guess you speak Hindi or Kannada. Or both.
TB
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 11:43:41 PM

Neurons: 4,277
Articulate Dreamer wrote:
My name is Ajit, which translates as invincible in Sanskrit, and has been used as an epithet for the two major Hindu deities, Vishnu and Shiva.
Incidentally, a whole lot of Indian (Sanskrit) names begin with
~'A' (pronounced like the 'u' as in utter) and signify some negation, though with a flattering conotation : Anupam: incomparable; Ajay: undefeatable; Alok: not of (and therefore, beyond) this world.
~'Pra' signifying an emphasis: Prakash: bright light; Praveen: extremely adept; Pramod: giving great happiness
~'su' signifying goodness : Sudeep: Good light; Suneet: well mannered; Suhas: A good smile
~'Vi' signifying, again, emphasis: Vijaya, Vineet, Vishal, Vikram

Ajit, that is fascinating. You would be a good teacher. You make Sanskrit understandable.
RRP
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 12:12:36 AM

Neurons: 514
Short for Rolls Royce Phantom. I was in the plans of making a high-poly 3d model, so I chose the nick to remind myself to get on the project instead of posting and browsing...

Applause good job with staying on the project buddy (sarcasm)
sandraleesmith46
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 1:54:19 AM

TB wrote thanks to Articulate Dreamer for the information, and helping make Sanskrit understandable, and I'll just add mine also. I appreciate all the input. Careful, TB, or you'll get hooked on this too. I keep a running log of the names I've learned in all the various languages, and have a pretty full notebook of them now, but I've been collecting for quite awhile. I find how people name their children tells quite a bit about the culture; what they view as important, how they value the children, and sometimes the parents' aspirations for their children. So again, thanks to everyone.
TYSON
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 2:28:06 AM

Neurons: 3,793
My mother made up my name. That is to say she'd never heard of it before she played around with another, similar name and came up with Tyson.
When I was a kid, some maltese neighbours told me it means 'gift from the gods'.
kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 5:10:02 AM

Neurons: 7,777
kauserali wrote:
My name is Kauser. It is derived from an arabic word kateer meaning 'a lot' and my name means abundance. Its abundance of spirituality, happiness, wealth and all other good things :-D .
It appears in the Quran and is said to be the name of a river in Paradise.

Is it somehow related to the word Kaiser??