mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Do you have a phobia ? Options
kruger
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 1:19:46 AM

Neurons: 471
I recently posted a topic about "triskaidekaphobia". I find the reason for having the fear of number 13 to be truly interesting.

Do you have a phobia ? If so, why ?

Lancaster
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 1:28:47 AM

Neurons: 54
elevators, especially when alone.
kruger
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 1:38:20 AM

Neurons: 471
Lancaster wrote:
elevators, especially when alone.

May I know the reason, If you don't mind ?

I heard that acrophobic people also have the fear of getting down at elevators. Is it true ?
shaoley
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 1:44:19 AM

Neurons: 740
I have an androphobia..14 years ago a classmate stole me a kiss and kept on chasing me that's how it all started...
wercozy
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 1:54:22 AM

Neurons: 3,480
I only had only a fear of riding an elevator once in my life. It occurred while going up. There was this extremely large elderly woman just ahead of me and she was not terribly steady on her feet. I remember planning a strategy. If she lost her balance, I was going to shove her out of my way and hope she wouldn't drag me down with her. Riding the elevator is a lot like playing Russian Roulette when there are a lot of other people riding at the same time.
Raven
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 1:59:07 AM

Neurons: 260
I'm agoraphobic. It's a pathological fear of being in public places, often resulting in the sufferer becoming housebound. I think I developed agoraphobia in my early twenties and I've been so ever since. I don't mind it really, but sometimes it's hard for people I know and those that care about me.
peterhewett
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 2:05:22 AM

Neurons: 3,698
Nah.. I don't have a phobia over anything... except perhaps the fear of a nasty person shoving me out of the way if I lose my footing on an elevator.
wercozy
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 2:40:13 AM

I have a fear of hateful vicious Christians who wish harm on our president.

Here's what they think is funny, cute, or patriotic:

"Pray for Obama, Psalms 109:8-9" and then they place the phrase on a button worn by a Teddy Bear. There's also bumper stickers and T-shirts for sale.
wercozy
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 2:49:20 AM

Raven: If you talk to your doctor about this problem, I'm sure a treatment plan can be created. Beta blockers work. Fish oil reduces stress on the human body. Join an agoraphobia support group to get the information and guidance you need. Whatever you do, stay away from the shrinks. They are quacks.
kiran_11
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 2:57:38 AM

Neurons: 77
I have cynophobia... fear of dogs. It all started when I was barely 7 years old. I went to a public swimming pool to watch my cousin swim. I was waiting for him to come out of the water so we could go home together with his mother. A gigantic dog came out of nowhere. It didn't have a leash and ran straight to me, of all the people there! I was totally freaked out. That's how it happened, and I've been scared of dogs ever since.
bogdanno
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 3:09:13 AM

Neurons: 1,128
Not really phobias, but I have strange fears like
fear that the room where the central heating is will explode if I turn on/off the light
fear that the floor of my bedroom will fall down because of too many things-I live on the second floor
They may me temporary though.

Margarit Bamllari
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 3:27:04 AM

Neurons: 780
I have earthquakes phobia.

The place we live, geologically is pretty much active but not with devastating effects. We have tremors every now and then but not with damages.

I don't like them at all. I am scared to the extreme. And I have a lot for friends and colleges who have the same phobia.
Anxious
Tmc
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 3:28:13 AM

Neurons: 128
wercozy wrote:
I have a fear of hateful vicious Christians who wish harm on our president.

Here's what they think is funny, cute, or patriotic:

"Pray for Obama, Psalms 109:8-9" and then they place the phrase on a button worn by a Teddy Bear. There's also bumper stickers and T-shirts for sale.

that is truly sad, but as of yet i've not seen those buttons/stickers. for those wondering and not want to look it up, i did - spoiler alert :: 8 May his days be few; may another take his place of leadership. 9 May his children be fatherless and his wife a widow.

as for the agoraphobia, don't loose hope; you're not alone. i know quite a few that are this way, 3 in fact.

i get an uneasy feeling when the house is quiet , like if i'm the last or first one awake.

sandraleesmith46
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 4:07:24 AM

Neurons: 2,132
I have a pretty strong fear of intimacy with others, stemming from early incestuous abuse, and I have had therapy so it is better, but will probably never go away entirely, at this late stage in my life. It's not agoraphobia. I can go wherever I want, whenever, it's about getting close to people and letting them close to me. emotionally. Very few have ever gotten to know me because I wouldn't let them for a very long time. I could almost always talk to anyone, at any time, about the superficialities of life, and that was okay. But true intimacy was just too scary. And it still makes me anxious. It's sad so many of us learn these fears that hamper our lives.
Angel-Baby
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 4:32:15 AM

Neurons: 243
I have three (somewhat strange) phobias:
I have a fear of semi trucks. I have been pushed into too many ditches around them. They are the reason I will no longer drive a white car during the winter. I give them wide berth on the highways.

I also have a fear of ladders... not heights, just ladders and other kinds of lifts. I have no problems with elevators because they are like being in little, well-lit closets. But mechanical lifts or ladders that teeter and sway, not for me. I am getting better with the ladders though. I can now climb step ladders and about to the third or fourth step on extension ladders.

I'm slightly claustrophobic. However, it is only when I am in one of three places... underwater (no scuba diving for me), in cities surounded by tall buildings (avoid them like the plague), and car washes. Once a year I take my car to a car wash to see if I can make it through without freaking. This year I had to sit on my hands so I wouldn't open the door to get out midway through the cycle.
Blodybeef
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 5:43:18 AM

Neurons: 649,963
It is not like fear, but I do not like crowds or crowded areas. I think I have developed it while I walked in the crowds of Eminonu, a historical and commercial site in Istanbul...
I was young then and believed I could find items cheaper in their sources (which is Eminonu for most of Turkey.) Now I work in an office, with not so many people. Now I am content.
vagnersiqueira
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 5:49:21 AM

Neurons: 89
Well, for starters I live alone...

It is not like a phobia, I think it is more like a fear, and sometimes it is very hard for me to sleep well throughout the night... Sometimes I have the feeling that I am not alone at my house, like someone is trying to break into it, and stole something or either have me killed...

I am frightned of finals at college... I've been studying for my finals since the begining of the semester, and I still feel that somehow I will fail in some of them, even knowing that I am like 3 points tops from passing in every single subject... How crazy is that???
pedro
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 6:21:39 AM

Neurons: 63,022
Heights- stems from a time when I saw part of a safety rope out of place ( a tourist spot called Old Harry Rock)and wandered over to have a look . I found myself staring at my feet protruding over a sheer drop into a swirling sea. I'm afraid neither parent was a swimmer so we didn't get the customary initiation as children so I suppose there wa an element of aquaphobia as well. I have overcome that enough to manage to swim a length (whilst the wave machine was on, but heights still disturb me.
Kat
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 7:25:34 AM

Neurons: 3,389
DRIVING (on highways or mergingPray)
Sweaty palms, anxiety, nausea, fear of someone crashing into me.
I believe it stems from growing up in the Bronx where there was
plenty of public transportation...that and seeing a car accident
at least once a week.
When I finally did learn how to drive after moving to NJ at the age
of 20, it didn't help that the driving teacher was a serious pot head.
Thank goodness I live in rural NC now and traffic is fairly tame most
of the time.
risadr
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 8:49:10 AM

Neurons: 3,545
I have a few very strong fears, but I don't know that any of them would be considered phobias. I also recognize that many of them are ridiculous, but that doesn't change the fact that they terrify me. Among my list are:

spiders
cephalopods (squid and octopi, primarily)
deer with antlers
pigeons
closed spaces

There are others, but I try not to dwell on my fears.

Tmc wrote:
i get an uneasy feeling when the house is quiet , like if i'm the last or first one awake.

Me, too. Never understood why, and I don't really consider it a fear, just a feeling of unease. And it doesn't bother me so much if I'm alone, only when I know that there are other people home.
Nappypoet
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 3:13:54 PM

Neurons: 135
I wouldnt call it a phobia as such...maybe a fear basically...of success...somewhat like the Jonah Complex...My past accomplishments are forgotten and the ever-present goal strikes me as yet another of many others to come...which I know deep down i can overcome yet the fear of gaining more and more is great...when I think about it it actually sounds silly...but it feels real...i am torn between perfectionism and procastination...which doesnt help now that i am an undergrad...of Psychology...a bit ironic, maybe...I dont even like working with groups cause i dont even trust others to do the right thing...
zdeb_d123
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 3:41:47 PM

Neurons: 312
Driving over bridges! Especially thoses with vast amounts of water flowing under them. Sick
I guess it is remnants of the "89" quake in San Fran..... That experience TRULY SUCKED!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7Q0_Z-9839c

It's not me in the video... but just the sight gives me goosebumps!

Gephyrophobia....That's me!

JPK
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 3:55:24 PM

Neurons: 1,998
risadr wrote:
I have a few very strong fears, but I don't know that any of them would be considered phobias. I also recognize that many of them are ridiculous, but that doesn't change the fact that they terrify me. Among my list are:

spiders
deer with antlers
pigeons
closed spaces

Tmc wrote:

Me, too. Never understood why, and I don't really consider it a fear, just a feeling of unease. And it doesn't bother me so much if I'm alone, only when I know that there are other people home.

no antlercraft for Risa? :(

(if you have no idea what I'm talking about: http://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postst4516p2_What-s-the-deal-with-aircraft-.aspx)

Personally, the time after everyone has gone to bed and all is quiet is my favorite...

I have a case of the vertigo though. Ladders = ick.
grammargeek
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 4:07:26 PM

Neurons: 33,836
JPK wrote:
risadr wrote:

spiders
deer with antlers
pigeons
closed spaces

Tmc wrote:

no antlercraft for Risa? :(

(if you have no idea what I'm talking about: http://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postst4516p2_What-s-the-deal-with-aircraft-.aspx)

Personally, the time after everyone has gone to bed and all is quiet is my favorite...

I have a case of the vertigo though. Ladders = ick.

Maybe Risa prefers sheepcraft to antlercraft. Lucky for her though, TB has clarified that antlercraft are restricted to Canadian airspace. (It's a good thing you don't suffer from antlercraftphobia, JP!)
twinsonic
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 6:15:15 PM

Neurons: 1,322
Driving across bridges and anything to do with dams. I think it stems from childhood vacations where too often there would be dams (Hoover, Grand Coulee, etc) where we would go out to the middle of and my mother would urge, "Look down, Lisa! Look down!" Also, we would picnic at the Sunol Water Temple, and there again, I would be encouraged to "Look down, Lisa!" I can still picture that water wooshing down below. It is a beautiful building, but just now I looked up photos and am feeling rather ill. I do not drive to San Francisco, it would mean crossing the Bay Bridge, so I take BART (a train) if I want to go. If I fly, I take a shuttle to the airport, if I can't leave from Oakland. I really, can't drive across a big bridge. I can ride, if someone else drives, that is fine.
I don't like heights a bit, probably due to the same as above. Funny, one of my brothers doesn't drive over bridges either!
zdeb_d123
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 6:40:03 PM

Neurons: 312
A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -Steven Wright Whistle
Geeman
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 6:55:52 PM

Neurons: 125,022
I used to have a phobia of roller coasters. I don't have a memory of how that came about, but I suspect that when I was a kid I complained about not being allowed on a ride at some amusement park and my mom made a big deal about how dangerous they were. I do remember her talking about how dangerous carny rides are....

So I never went on a roller coaster until I was 20. At least, not any of the serious ones. I'd go on the wimpy rides, complaining about the long lines at the serious roller coasters, or I'd beg off saying I'd "go get something to eat" or with some other excuse.

I'm reliably told that I was quite pale when I went on that ride, and I remember feeling like I wanted to crawl out of my own skin. As soon as we'd completed the first decline, though, I was over it. It was as if it'd never been an issue. Funny how the mind works that way, huh?
TB
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 7:37:30 PM

Neurons: 4,277
kruger wrote:

Do you have a phobia ?

people who drink and drive
nooblet
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 8:22:57 PM

Neurons: 4,778
Geeman wrote:
I used to have a phobia of roller coasters. I don't have a memory of how that came about, but I suspect that when I was a kid I complained about not being allowed on a ride at some amusement park and my mom made a big deal about how dangerous they were. I do remember her talking about how dangerous carny rides are....

So I never went on a roller coaster until I was 20. At least, not any of the serious ones. I'd go on the wimpy rides, complaining about the long lines at the serious roller coasters, or I'd beg off saying I'd "go get something to eat" or with some other excuse.

I'm reliably told that I was quite pale when I went on that ride, and I remember feeling like I wanted to crawl out of my own skin. As soon as we'd completed the first decline, though, I was over it. It was as if it'd never been an issue. Funny how the mind works that way, huh?

One of my friends from high school was deathly afraid of rollercoasters, too. Of course, my friends and I didn't know that he was deathly afraid of rollercoasters until AFTER we had made up to the Six Flags and were waiting in line for one of the big rides. We eventually were able to coerce him into riding with us, and he ended up having a blast as soon as he realized the sheer amount of awesome that was to be had.
RuthP
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 10:41:54 AM

Neurons: 87,618
TB wrote:
kruger wrote:

Do you have a phobia ?

Not a phobia; common sense!
TB
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 11:01:53 AM

Neurons: 4,277
RuthP wrote:
TB wrote:
kruger wrote:

Do you have a phobia ?

Not a phobia; common sense!

Hi Ruth,

Strictly speaking you are right. It bothers me that I once enjoyed driving but now (especially since I became a father) I view all cars as a threat to my family.

We kicked this around in another thread:

The numbers vary but I've read that as many as one in three drivers has had a drink and that half may be sleep deprived, never mind the texting, reading, phone calls and general lack of attention.

Stay safe.

gamerboy
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 11:05:30 AM

Neurons: 278
I have a phobia of being cut by anything. it all started when I was 10. i was building a fort in the woods when the axe i was using hit my hand between my knuckles... my hand only scarred luckily. now when ever my brother is around me with a knife he pretends to stab me which is just wrong and cruel.Anxious
Tmc
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 2:11:47 PM

Neurons: 128
Geeman wrote:

carny rides are very unsafe. think about it; they are built to be broken down in 3 days time. then they are rebuilt in the next town. repeative or not, i'm sure someone forgot to tighten that bolt. atleast when you go to the amusement park they are built to last. atleast until the crowds get bored of them and want something bigger, faster, and nauseating.
kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 2:18:35 PM

Neurons: 7,777
I have plenty of phobias:

fire phobia
spider phobia
cockroach phobia
getting-crushed-under-the-wheels-of-a-vehicle phobia
falling out of a bus phobia
falling down the stairs phobia
getting squeezed between the doors of an elevator phobia
getting my fingers cut off by running fan/blades phobia
getting late for exams phobia
falling into an open drain/sewer phobia
falling off a rickshaw phobia
slipping in the bathroom phobia
getting electrocuted phobia

Phew...only to name a few!
Raven
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 2:46:10 PM

Neurons: 260
Wercozy said: "Raven: If you talk to your doctor about this problem, I'm sure a treatment plan can be created. Beta blockers work. Fish oil reduces stress on the human body. Join an agoraphobia support group to get the information and guidance you need. Whatever you do, stay away from the shrinks. They are quacks."

Hey, Wercozy, I've got news for ya, Agoraphobia is a phobia, just like all the other unreasonable fears out there. Telling an Agoraphobic to join a "support group" is the worse thing you can suggest since Agoraphobics have a fear of groups of people. I notice your message lacks empathy, but all the rantings of a know-it-all. My brother is a shrink and has helped thousands of children and families in his 30+ years of practice, so I'll be sure pass on your uneducated opinion to him.