mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Stress Interview Options
kruger
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2009 9:29:52 AM

Neurons: 471
What is the weirdest question you have ever been asked to answer during a stress interview ?

Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2009 9:59:15 AM

Neurons: 599,149
Do you love your dad?
Do you like Gypsies?
Have you ever wanted to become a florist?

kruger
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2009 10:06:59 AM

Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
Do you love your dad?
Do you like Gypsies?

Gee...What were your answers, if you don't mind?
TB
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2009 10:10:08 AM

Neurons: 4,277
Do you hate your mother? (no)
Do you hate your father? (no)
Do you hear voices? (yes, in fact one of them is saying "it's a nice day, go play golf", bye)

If you run fast enough the paranoids will never catch you
kruger
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2009 10:18:04 AM

Once, my friend was asked to answer this question, "Prove that you are a male"

He replied "I ride Pulsar"(Pulsar is the name of a bike and its slogan is "Definitely male").

When my friend said this to me, I told him that the answer was a little gay (since the bike is represented as a male).Shame on you

Is there any other witty answer to this question ?

kruger
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2009 10:19:54 AM

TB wrote:
Do you hate your mother? (no)
Do you hate your father? (no)
Do you hear voices? (yes, in fact one of them is saying "it's a nice day, go play golf", bye)

If you run fast enough the paranoids will never catch you

Nice One.Applause
Christine
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2009 10:21:26 AM

Neurons: 15,842
kruger wrote:

He replied "I ride Pulsar"(Pulsar is the name of a bike and its slogan is "Definitely male").

When my friend said this to me, I told him that the answer was a little gay (since the bike is represented as a male).Shame on you

Take his shirt off.
Epiphileon
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2009 10:24:18 AM

Neurons: 166,696
I'm taking the liberty of expanding your question to include personality inventories, which are like an interview in many ways.
Do you like to play drop the handkerchief?
Are you a special messenger of god?
Are your stools commonly black and tarry?
kruger
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2009 10:30:19 AM

Christine wrote:
kruger wrote:

Take his shirt off.

Good one. Can certainly even take the pants off if the interviewer is a hot woman but wouldn't that be inappropriate for an interview situation?Think

kruger
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2009 10:35:32 AM

Epiphileon wrote:
I'm taking the liberty of expanding your question to include personality inventories, which are like an interview in many ways.
Do you like to play drop the handkerchief?
Are your stools commonly black and tarry?

Good ones Epiphileon. Applause

I would answer the second question this way.

Yes I am ! If you are a demented atheist, Please don't shoot the messenger !Pray
kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2009 10:42:53 AM

Neurons: 7,777
There are always cheap people who keep saying things like "prove you are a male". (by the way, it is not a question strictly speaking, but let's take it as one for convenience). In fact, they do it because such dimwits think they are more "male" or "masculine" than the others. People who ask these questions are almost always bullies and I hate bullies. I do not even give a damn about such scum and I make my disgust visible through facial expression mainly, and if need be, even physical gestures. But there are times when I plainly avoid such "trash" people, because they are obviously low lives and do not deserve attention.
As for that answer, "I ride the Pulsar bike", there couldn't have been a more stupid answer. Just because advertisements say it is masculine to ride such bikes, doesn't mean it IS so. I don't know if that answer is gay or not, because I think gays must be riding bikes too, including pulsar. In such situations, display of wit is unnecessary. And only cheap people who love to show off and lack intrinsic value would care about such fruitless conversations. I have been asked to prove I am a male, and honestly, I became furious quite a few times, and I cursed and abused the bullying person, and boy, didn't I feel good after that!
If asked in an interview, it is a tough question to answer, and probably saying something like "since i ride Pulsar" might actually impress the interviewer. Since I believe the sole purpose of the interviewer behind asking such a question would be to find out if the person taking the interview is capable of tackling tricky and compromising situations. And one who can respond quickly and snappily with something like the one mentioned would in fact give the interviewer the impression (false, mostly!) that the candidate doesn't buckle under pressure. Since these questions are usually dealt with in a different way outside the "fake" world of interviews. So, it actually shows a good presence of mind. It can also be added that interviewers obviously like candidates showing interest in or staying updated about the marketing world and therefore this answer only helps shape that image.
But if not in an interview, it is a different ball game altogether.
Kat
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2009 11:02:55 AM

Neurons: 3,389
I'm not sure if it was a "stress interview", but I was
asked, "What color best describes myself and why".
wercozy
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2009 12:07:22 PM

Neurons: 3,480
Do you have any friends? Name three friends right now!

Are you single? Why?

Do you sleep well at night?

If you have a brain in your head, you know how to answer these questions. Answer them incorrectly and you will be labeled and given a prescription. I don't believe in labels and I don't believe in drugs. I stumped a shrink once by asking him, "what did people do 5,000 years ago before they invented psychiatrists?" It was great fun to watch his 'pained' face.

We are put here on this earth to figure out our own problems. We need to learn how to face our problems and not run away. The rewards of self-help are gratifying and great. Try it, you might like it.
kauserali
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2009 12:35:34 PM

Neurons: 1,955
Kat wrote:

I read in a book that the answer to the question "why you like this color?", is actually the way the questioned person thinks about himself.
kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2009 12:59:58 PM

kauserali wrote:
Kat wrote:

I read in a book that the answer to the question "why you like this color?", is actually the way the questioned person thinks about himself.

I don't think choice of color, music or anything else alone can determine anything about a person. I do not know who formulated such stereotyping, but I certainly do not agree. I have seen it fail myself. I was once told by my gf that because I liked Green Day's rock songs, which showed my lack of sense in music :p, I am a raw person. She then said that a person can be judged or an idea can be had from what kind of music he/she prefers. She inferred that people who listen to more romantic, softer music (meaning pop-like songs) are softer by nature than those who listen to rock. Then, in course of our discussion, I pointed it out to her that I liked Jurassic park's theme and many works of Hans Zimmer, and also other pop songs and softer or sophisticated music like that of Beethoven. While she was shocked to learn this, she was quick to say that she didn't like Beethoven, to which I replied that the said is considered to have produced music appreciated by those who love truly good music and therefore are gentlemen. Another discrepancy was that she was a big fan of Michael Jackson's songs, which even though I liked, could never be considered as "soft". It is electronica pop, at best. And yet she really likes the opera and its music!
Also, I have taken tests on the internet regarding this color thing, and the personality analyses have almost always proved wrong.
kauserali
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2009 5:01:50 PM

Neurons: 1,955
kisholoy mukherjee wrote:
kauserali wrote:
Kat wrote:

I don't think choice of color, music or anything else alone can determine anything about a person. I do not know who formulated such stereotyping, but I certainly do not agree. I have seen it fail myself.......
Also, I have taken tests on the internet regarding this color thing, and the personality analyses have almost always proved wrong.

It doesn't determine what kind of a person he/she is, only how and what he/she thinks about himself. Now, how a person thinks about himself may or not be what he actually is.
bugdoctor
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2009 5:06:31 PM

Neurons: 5,456
I've never had a stress interview. I've been both the interviewer AND the interviewee on a number of occasions, but I've never heard of it until this thread.

Is such a practice commonplace in the U.S.?
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2009 6:30:24 PM

kruger wrote:
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
Do you love your dad?
Do you like Gypsies?

Yes, hope he can feel it up there.
Never thought it like that. Do they like me?
I once met one. Good looking but I came allergic.
Epiphileon
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2009 6:48:14 PM

kruger wrote:

Yes I am ! If you are a demented atheist, Please don't shoot the messenger !Pray

No but I am a deranged nontheist.

[image not available]

Oh and by the way answering yes to that question, will get you a point on the schizophrenia scale.
kruger
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 1:23:28 AM

Epiphileon wrote:
kruger wrote:

No but I am a deranged nontheist.

[image not available]

Oh and by the way answering yes to that question, will get you a point on the schizophrenia scale.

ok but i was just kidding. So, is there any good appropriate answer for those questions ?
kruger
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 1:25:43 AM

Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
kruger wrote:
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
Do you love your dad?
Do you like Gypsies?

Yes, hope he can feel it up there.
Never thought it like that. Do they like me?
I once met one. Good looking but I came allergic.

Applause Second one is good. Answering a question with another question ?
kruger
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 1:32:33 AM

bugdoctor wrote:
I've never had a stress interview. I've been both the interviewer AND the interviewee on a number of occasions, but I've never heard of it until this thread.

Is such a practice commonplace in the U.S.?

Well, It is becoming a vital part of a recruitment program in IT industries for freshers. I m afraid I don't know about other industries but the IT industries I was saying are in US.
kruger
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 1:34:49 AM

wercozy wrote:
Do you have any friends? Name three friends right now!

Are you single? Why?

Do you sleep well at night?

If you have a brain in your head, you know how to answer these questions. Answer them incorrectly and you will be labeled and given a prescription. I don't believe in labels and I don't believe in drugs. I stumped a shrink once by asking him, "what did people do 5,000 years ago before they invented psychiatrists?" It was great fun to watch his 'pained' face.

We are put here on this earth to figure out our own problems. We need to learn how to face our problems and not run away. The rewards of self-help are gratifying and great. Try it, you might like it.

I like doing introspection about myself too.
Raven
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 2:03:57 AM

Neurons: 260
What's a "Stress Interview"?
kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 4:11:58 AM

kauserali wrote:
kauserali wrote:
Kat wrote:

I don't think choice of color, music or anything else alone can determine anything about a person. I do not know who formulated such stereotyping, but I certainly do not agree. I have seen it fail myself.......

It doesn't determine what kind of a person he/she is, only how and what he/she thinks about himself. Now, how a person thinks about himself may or not be what he actually is.

I still don't quite agree. I don't think any one can even know what I think of myself from my choice of color. It is an inexact science, like astrology and I seriously dislike any such practice.
kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 4:13:35 AM

Raven wrote:
What's a "Stress Interview"?

I too wasn't aware of the term. I googled it to find out an answer so obvious that it left me red-faced : An interview that is designed to put you under stress. d'oh!
Epiphileon
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 8:31:18 AM

kruger wrote:

ok but i was just kidding. So, is there any good appropriate answer for those questions ?

So was I Kruger, I forgot the darn Dancing again sorry.
Drop the handkerchief if answered true to that would get you a point on femininity. ( I think this question has been dropped due to general unawareness of the practice.)
I commonly have black and tarry stool would get you a point on the hypochondriasis scale, as well as one of three lie scales (faking bad), this is a sign of a bleeding ulcer which is not a condition that can be endured for a long time.
Oh and these are all true/false questions on a 566 item inventory called the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory, MMPI. As unlikely as it may seem this psychometric instrument has remarkable validity if taken honestly, and if taken with an intent to deceive it, it catches the deception.
Oh and by the way almost all the scales have pathological sounding names, but everyone has a personality, the instrument was originally designed to aid in diagnosis of people with disorders. The Schizophrenia scale is also seen as a measure of creativity, and high scorers on scale 4, psychopathic deviance make effective leaders, whether for good or bad, for example it is thought by those who think about such things that John Kennedy, and Charles Manson, would both have scored high on that scale.
kruger
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 8:35:39 AM

Epiphileon wrote:
kruger wrote:

So was I Kruger, I forgot the darn Dancing again sorry.
Drop the handkerchief if answered true to that would get you a point on femininity. ( I think this question has been dropped due to general unawareness of the practice.)
I commonly have black and tarry stool would get you a point on the hypochondriasis scale, as well as one of three lie scales (faking bad), this is a sign of a bleeding ulcer which is not a condition that can be endured for a long time.
Oh and these are all true/false questions on a 566 item inventory called the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory, MMPI. As unlikely as it may seem this psychometric instrument has remarkable validity if taken honestly, and if taken with an intent to deceive it, it catches the deception.
Oh and by the way almost all the scales have pathological sounding names, but everyone has a personality, the instrument was originally designed to aid in diagnosis of people with disorders. The Schizophrenia scale is also seen as a measure of creativity, and high scorers on scale 4, psychopathic deviance make effective leaders, whether for good or bad, for example it is thought by those who think about such things that John Kennedy, and Charles Manson, would both have scored high on that scale.

Thanks Epi
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 12:04:40 PM

I still don't quite agree. I don't think any one can even know what I think of myself from my choice of color. It is an inexact science, like astrology and I seriously dislike any such practice.

Everyone can definitely tell what you are thinking when you are absolutely out of all colors. Whistle
Geeman
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 5:28:51 PM

Neurons: 125,022
I've never been to a stress interview, and probably would consider any corporation that used them a waste of my time and energies... but a friend of mine went on one and he said the most interesting question he got was

Name all the United States Presidents in order since 1900.

I don't know what that had to do with the job, but he said he did it backwards since he's not the kind of person who memorizes that kind of information. After all, they didn't say in WHICH order....
rosicrucian
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 10:00:17 PM

Neurons: 425

How will you describe the color blue to a blind person?
TB
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 10:46:26 PM

Neurons: 4,277
rosicrucian wrote:

How will you describe the color blue to a blind person?

I would say the color blue 'feels' like a warm tropical sea or it 'sounds' like a gentle rain shower on a summer day.

To try to describe a color to a blind person using 'visuals' would indicate that you haven't quite grasped the facts stated in the question. That doesn't mean you're abnormal but it is not a logical attempt to answer the question. If a company is looking for a 'problem solver' you might be in trouble. To answer the question using other senses (to 'feel' or to 'hear' the color) indicates a logical attempt to address the question using the tools at hand.

Usually the point of most of these questions (without any real correct answer) is simply to get you talking long enough for a trained examiner to determine if there is some remarkable pathology ("A departure or deviation from a normal mental condition"). Keep the answers short, logical and don't try to out-think the test.

Remember The "K.I.S.S." System... (Keep it simple stupid.)

rosicrucian, in the sentence above the term "stupid" is not directed at you. The "K.I.S.S." method or system is an American saying that means...Don't complicate things needlessly.