mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Favorite Word Puzzles/Games Options
EllieMae
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 1:07:15 AM

Neurons: 6,579
Hi Fellow TFD & Forum Fans:

I was just wondering what kind of word puzzles/games you enjoy; are they in purchased puzzle books/magazines, online, board games (such as the infamous Scrabble--one of my favorites), something you've designed for yourself, or ?????

Some of mine are:
Scrabble (as mentioned)
Codewords (found in purchased word puzzle magazines)
crosswords
Boggle
Hangman
Not sure of the name for this game (if it even has a name) but the game in which players must say something like "My name is Anne, I'm from Alberta and I like apples" and as the play goes to the next player, that player must use the next letter in the alaphbet in the same manner and so on. There are many variations of this game, I believe.
An online variation of Scrabble, called Scrabble Blast is also quite fun.

My other question is this: Do you play just because you like the games or do you play to improve your vocabularly and/or keep your mind sharp?

And---if you have customized your TFD page, have you picked any of the games from here? I like Match Up and Hangman. I keep all my Match Up results so I can improve my vocabulary.

P.S. Sorry about the large text--I tried to go back to default but it wouldn't work (at least not on preview)d'oh!
shaoley
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 1:38:45 AM

Neurons: 740
I like those word puzzles/games you've mentioned. One of my friends routinely buy a newspaper and there's a page intended for word games and sudoku I would fugitively snatch and play with it.

Whenever I customize my page I align the word for the day, the hangman and the match up in a row from left to right with different colors because I like to work with things that appeals to my senses.

I can recommend text twist, hangaroo and bookword. You need to download the games so you can play with them eventhough you're offline.

TYSON
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 1:59:56 AM

Neurons: 3,793
I love scrabble. Trivial pursuit was a favorite for a while too.
Romany
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 3:44:39 AM

Neurons: 58,236
EllieMae - another Boggle fan! I love it because its quick and really puts you to the test whereas, at time, various people have driven me up the wall with Scrabble and Trivial Pursuits by bickering and tapending ages to go.

In fact I played Boggle even in the Delivery Room because the two minute time limit fitted in so well between contractions!!
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 7:50:20 AM

Neurons: 599,149
There is an on-line scrabble in TFD main page. You just have to pick it up from left side's Add/remove content link.
I like hangman and match up too.
bugdoctor
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 7:56:32 AM

Neurons: 5,456
I enjoy crossword puzzles - and I usually do the word match on TFD every day.
pedro
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 8:19:47 AM

Neurons: 63,022
Chess, Bridge (despite the arguments afterwards!)- there are good chess sites on the web http://www.chessmaniac.com
http://www.itsyourturn.com/ (free too!) where you can play people from all over. Bridge is more of a problem as my potential partners and opponents seem to be dying off at a rate. I like crosswords too - sometimes find the Guardian (UK) impossible though. Won't play scrabble unless there's a good dictionary around to settle disputes
capo403
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 11:52:24 AM

Neurons: 1,815
I like crossword puzzles, but I like acrostic puzzles even better. I also like logic puzzles and cryptic crosswords (but I'm not too good at solving the latter). I sometimes get puzzle books that contain a variety of puzzles, but prefer those with only my favorites.

I had a boggle game as a teenager, but haven't played for years. There are word games in my mother's newspaper that I like to solve, including Jumble.

Recently, I discovered a website called Lumosity, which has a variety of word games. I especially like Word Bubble, which I found very addictive.
rosicrucian
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 8:49:57 PM

Neurons: 425
I love playing chess but I haven't play for almost a year now, thank you for that link pedro.
I have a friend and I think we've play chess almost hundred times and never have a chance to beat him.Brick wall
Dreamy
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2009 3:43:25 AM

Neurons: 10,806
Choose words that have the same number of letters as the position of their first letter in the alphabet.

A
Be or By
Can, Cat, Cap, Cot, Cod etc.
Deny, Defy, Drop, etc

Mathematician has 13 letters and starts with the 13th letter of the alphabet, so there, ha, that's got you.
mimosa
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2009 4:58:53 AM

Neurons: 72
I love to scrabble, in English, to improve my vocabulary.
Anyone familiar with www.freerice.com ?
Joseph Glantz
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2009 6:06:12 AM

Neurons: 6,040
I like the "jumble" - as in the first to make just one word out of the following letters is a genius - dnrwooe
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2009 2:16:23 PM

Does anyone here play Hattrick?
It's a world wide football (soccer) manager game, some 1 million players around the Globe.
grammargeek
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2009 2:31:36 PM

Neurons: 33,836
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
It's a world wide football (soccer) manager game, some 1 million players around the Globe.

I know little to nothing about sports, but I thought "hattrick" (or hat trick?) was a hockey term. d'oh!
early_apex
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2009 3:11:09 PM

Neurons: 12,855
Joseph Glantz wrote:
I like the "jumble" - as in the first to make just one word out of the following letters is a genius - dnrwooe

oneword?
Joseph Glantz
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2009 3:31:31 PM

Neurons: 6,040
early_apex wrote:
Joseph Glantz wrote:

oneword?

Essentially. The answer is two words - "one word." So a jumble and a play on words.
PransomeHince
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2009 7:02:08 PM

Neurons: 156
Each day, after I check out the word of the day, I go the the ARRP games site. There they have a word search, crossword, jigsaw and sudoku puzzle page. I feel it is part of my daily routine to complete these in my futile attempt to keep my, ahem, brain active. Sometimes it just don't work.
twinsonic
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2009 11:23:07 PM

Neurons: 1,322
My favorite is the good 'ol crossword puzzle. I buy the big NY Times Sunday puzzle books (At Half Price Books, so they are cheap!). I do the daily one in our local paper if I get a chance. I also like the daily Decodaquote and Jumble. I enjoy this site's word match. My father used to play a word game where you change one work into another, using other words. Like Dog to Cat would be easy...dog-dot-cot-cat. They can get hard.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2009 6:47:47 AM

grammargeek wrote:
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:

I know little to nothing about sports, but I thought "hattrick" (or hat trick?) was a hockey term. d'oh!

In the beginning it was Summer, so soccer was invented before ice-hockey and first hat trick was done with a ball, not a puck.
Epiphileon
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2009 7:44:09 AM

Neurons: 166,696
grammargeek wrote:
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:

Hello GG your question got me curious, and JJ your statement made me smile, I thought hmmm, so "In the beginning it was summer, and the lord saw the open fields of grass, and the lord thought, "Wow what great places for kicking a ball around!" and lo, the lord god created soccer and saw that it was good." So anyway I did a bit of searching and found this at Wise Geek.
Quote:

However, the term hat trick in sports has its roots in cricket, where a bowler was given a hat after successfully taking three wickets. Now in cricket, a bowler who successfully defeats three batsmen is thought to have performed the hat trick. It has to be three in a row to be considered a hat trick.

The hat trick migrated to the world of both forms of hockey. It generally meant that a player had scored three times in a game. Thus it didn’t have to be three in a row, but simply three in a game for a player to have successfully completed a hat trick.

According to one source, soccer is nearly 3000 years old, where hockey seems only a few hundred. Of course hockey would be pretty hard without skates.

Ellie Mae, one of my favorite word games when I was young was called Probe, each player had a rack that had, I think 12 spaces for letter cards that where place face down, play proceeded round the table by guessing another players letters, guessing wrong passed the play, guessing a word eliminated that player and was worth bonus points to the guesser.
Another, I do not recall the name too offhand, for two players only involved letter blocks inserted in a vertical grid, one at a time, to spell words on your side of the grid, points were scored upon word completion, your opponent of course would try to thwart your words by using the same letters in reverse for a word on their side.