mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Point System Options
WordLover
Posted: Saturday, April 4, 2009 5:54:18 PM

Neurons: 120
Could you post a type of TOS that would explain the purpose of the points one accumulates as a forum member? I haven't any idea of what the point of the points are. And why some members have minus points. Think
Luftmarque
Posted: Saturday, April 4, 2009 6:29:02 PM

Neurons: 39,962
I noticed that I went to advanced member when my points passed 90--I too have wondered how one ends up with negative points. When we accumulate enough, can we trade them in for valuable cash prizes? Drool
WordLover
Posted: Saturday, April 4, 2009 10:06:21 PM

Seriously! I thought maybe the people that had negtive points did something wrong and had their points taken away! I've asked that question twice and nobody can answer me.
prolixitysquared
Posted: Sunday, April 5, 2009 4:55:15 PM

Neurons: 3,101
WordLover wrote:
Seriously! I thought maybe the people that had negtive points did something wrong and had their points taken away! I've asked that question twice and nobody can answer me.

I hope you asked this question in your email to the company that runs the forum. I'm definitely curious about the ways of the point system.
arthbard
Posted: Sunday, April 5, 2009 5:33:56 PM

Neurons: 189
WordLover wrote:
I thought maybe the people that had negative points did something wrong and had their points taken away!

That's what I thought, too. Then, I saw it on an administration account, and my mind was officially blown.
WordLover
Posted: Sunday, April 5, 2009 5:47:59 PM

I'm determined to get this all figured and I will certainly share with everyone when I do!
krmiller
Posted: Sunday, April 5, 2009 9:55:41 PM

Neurons: 663
I have a theory on the negative points! I haven't seen any but I did see someone comment that NickN had negative points. But when I saw the post, he had lots of points. Well, on a website I have, there's the possibility accumulate points by commenting, but since I'm in charge and have no use for points, I periodically subtract a hundred points or so from myself. That keeps me out of the top of the points list even though I comment more than anyone else. Maybe that's what's going on here. Is it only administrators who have negative points?
Luftmarque
Posted: Sunday, April 5, 2009 11:29:35 PM

Neurons: 39,962
That theory seems plausible. Is NickN an administrator?
WordLover
Posted: Monday, April 6, 2009 9:34:16 AM

You may be right, krmiller. I just went into NickN's profile, it doesn't give any impression that he/she is an administrator (why would they keep that secret?), but the points were in the positive category again.

Krmiller, do you allow the others to see that your an administrator on your site?
risadr
Posted: Monday, April 6, 2009 10:36:29 AM

Neurons: 3,545
NickN is a moderator, at least. I like the theory that administrators and moderators have negative points because they've subtracted them intentionally, to keep themselves out of the top posters.

krmiller, what sort of website is yours?
SteveB
Posted: Monday, April 6, 2009 11:37:24 AM

Hello everyone,

The idea of the point system is to reward the people who post good information to the forum. The points are subtracted when a post is removed. The system is not yet perfect (well, the entire forum is in beta right now) and is being tweaked.

Thank you for your patience.
Steve
fred
Posted: Monday, April 6, 2009 12:01:22 PM

Neurons: 4,457
SteveB wrote:
Hello everyone,

The idea of the point system is to reward the people who post good information to the forum. The points are subtracted when a post is removed. The system is not yet perfect (well, the entire forum is in beta right now) and is being tweaked.

Steve

What is good?
WordLover
Posted: Monday, April 6, 2009 2:06:11 PM

Well, looky here, we got us an administrator. Where have you been, Steve? We have lots and lots of questions and nobody's bothering to answer them for us. At least you cleared up the questions about the points system. Applause

Have you by chance gone into the post titled, Preserving the Forum, under Knowledge and Culture? We'd like to get a more precise idea of what this forum is all about. You'll see the questions there. We'd love to hear from you.

Thanks Steve!
krmiller
Posted: Monday, April 6, 2009 8:59:50 PM

Neurons: 663
My website is for posting my writing; since I'm the author, everyone knows I'm the administrator!

Thanks for the explanation, Steve.
prolixitysquared
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 10:17:09 PM

Neurons: 3,101
I'm still curious about the finer details of the points system.
Tmc
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2009 3:26:29 PM

Neurons: 128
fred wrote:
SteveB wrote:
Hello everyone,

Steve

What is good?

i would think a "good" post is one that is truly relevant, and not just "Me too" common on many post threads.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2009 4:38:03 PM

Neurons: 656,139
SteveB wrote:
Hello everyone,

Steve

I've seen a newbie posting the same day he has registered, points -120. How on earth did he manage to gain so much minus in a very short time?

Also, could some admin kindly post an answer to some questions and suggests written here lately in another topic (slow loading)?

Thank you Steve.
GoldmanM
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 3:24:35 PM

fred wrote:
SteveB wrote:
Hello everyone,

Steve

What is good?

Because we appreciate a diversity of opinions on these forums, post quality in terms of spelling, grammar, punctuation, depth of opinion, etc. can vary depending on the background of the individual user. It is therefore more appropriate to define a "good" post by what it is not.

A "good" post contains content that is not spam, is not obscene, and does not violate the forum's guidelines and terms of service in any way.

"Bad" posts (the opposite of "good" posts), are removed from the site as necessary in order to maintain the quality and integrity of the forums. Users who have posts marked as spam and deleted lose points, and those who consistently do so can end up with a negative ranking.
TB
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 11:18:53 PM

Neurons: 4,277
GoldmanM,

Thanks for the explanation.

Question:

I have deleted some of my own posts for different reasons... editing issues, duplication of another post, redundant answers to a question or maybe, after consideration, I just don't like my post so I'll delete it. That results in a loss of points which makes me look like I've been BAD Anxious

TFD didn't pull my posts but I still got dinged. Is there some way that you guys can fix it so that the removal of a post by the poster does not result in a loss of points?

I'm still trying to win that toaster. Angel

Thanks
peterhewett
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 8:03:11 AM

Neurons: 3,698
Personally I would rather have no points at all. I think it is a silly idea. The system is subject to the whims, or likes and dislikes of two or three people. Who cares what they think? Looking at some who are in plus points I sometimes wonder about the judgment of the folk who monitor these posts since, presumably, they had something to do with its setup.

I remember one guy who came on who was an absolute nutter, and another who was positively weird ... both had plus points.

You are at liberty to deduct from me, for this post, as many points as you see fit. We are not children to be given 'marks,' we have long since left school.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 9:11:22 AM

peterhewett wrote:
Personally I would rather have no points at all. I think it is a silly idea. The system is subject to the whims, or likes and dislikes of two or three people. Who cares what they think? Looking at some who are in plus points I sometimes wonder about the judgment of the folk who monitor these posts since, presumably, they had something to do with its setup.

I remember one guy who came on who was an absolute nutter, and another who was positively weird ... both had plus points.

You are at liberty to deduct from me, for this post, as many points as you see fit. We are not children to be given 'marks,' we have long since left school.

Agree with Peter. I can see no rational meaning in those points and I don't pay much attention on them, mine or other users. Minus points of course make me wonder.

The forum application's original programmers may have some idea on points. Here they are useless.
GoldmanM
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 2:01:38 PM

TB wrote:
GoldmanM,

Thanks for the explanation.

Question:

I have deleted some of my own posts for different reasons... editing issues, duplication of another post, redundant answers to a question or maybe, after consideration, I just don't like my post so I'll delete it. That results in a loss of points which makes me look like I've been BAD Anxious

TFD didn't pull my posts but I still got dinged. Is there some way that you guys can fix it so that the removal of a post by the poster does not result in a loss of points?

I'm still trying to win that toaster. Angel

Thanks

Answer:

The number of points deducted when deleting your own post is considerably less than when it is done by a moderator or another user marking a post as spam. By having that small deduction system in place, however, we hope to encourage users to consider more carefully the content of their posts before publishing them on the site.

Don't worry though, you're well on your way to that toaster. Dancing
TB
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 2:23:24 PM

Neurons: 4,277
GoldmanM wrote:

Answer:

The number of points deducted when deleting your own post is considerably less than when it is done by a moderator or another user marking a post as spam. By having that small deduction system in place, however, we hope to encourage users to consider more carefully the content of their posts before publishing them on the site.

Ah-ha! I knew it. See, all you naysayers, I knew there was a point to these points...Eh?...Anyway, I'm gonna get a toaster and you won't. Dancing
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 2:52:30 PM

TB wrote:
GoldmanM wrote:

Answer:

Ah-ha! I knew it. See, all you naysayers, I knew there was a point to these points...Eh?...Anyway, I'm gonna get a toaster and you won't. Dancing

Hmm. I was promised a red Jaguar. Liar
countioshi
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2009 1:48:02 AM

Neurons: 87
So points is same as "Thanks" on other forums?
ninestraycats
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 3:01:35 PM

Neurons: 228
I gather that points equal thrice your post count. Why, then, do I have an extra 3? Is there a way to boost someone's points?
The Saurus
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 3:22:00 PM

Neurons: 762
Seems like most everyone's points are thrice bigger than their postcount.
nooblet
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 4:35:27 PM

Neurons: 4,778
My guess is that PMs boost points as well.
boneyfriend
Posted: Monday, March 1, 2010 1:59:42 PM

Neurons: 10,546
Don't know if PM's boost points but I finally have a grip on points and wont worry about them any more. I was in the dark for so long and now I see.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Thursday, March 4, 2010 9:57:47 AM

I can understand minus points, but how is it possible for someone to have minus posts?
Tmc
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2010 7:29:53 PM

Neurons: 128
GoldmanM wrote:
fred wrote:
SteveB wrote:
Hello everyone,

Steve

What is good?

Because we appreciate a diversity of opinions on these forums, post quality in terms of spelling, grammar, punctuation, depth of opinion, etc. can vary depending on the background of the individual user. It is therefore more appropriate to define a "good" post by what it is not.

A "good" post contains content that is not spam, is not obscene, and does not violate the forum's guidelines and terms of service in any way.

"Bad" posts (the opposite of "good" posts), are removed from the site as necessary in order to maintain the quality and integrity of the forums. Users who have posts marked as spam and deleted lose points, and those who consistently do so can end up with a negative ranking.

i'll read more than i normally say, so yes as for "depth of opinion" i sometimes have more to say than write. my spelling is i'm sure on par, get a couple birdies, so far no eagles. my worst among that list is the grammer, as for example i know i run-on, and rarely cap the first letter. or any letters, names places etc, for that matter. is there such a thing as shiftkeyphopia? how many points do we get per post, and would we know if any of ours were edited or deleted by admin?
blue2
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2010 7:45:28 AM

Neurons: 23,044
nooblet wrote:

What's a PM?
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2010 7:49:01 AM

PM is a personal/private message to another user in TFD Forums.
srirr
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2010 7:52:55 AM

Neurons: 484,353
blue2 wrote:
nooblet wrote:

What's a PM?

I thought it is something post menstrual, which boosts the points. Does it?Silenced
bluecloud
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2011 1:36:21 PM

Neurons: 25
Or marking posts as spam, I guess.