mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Misery Lit Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2013 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,932
Misery Lit

Misery lit is a genre of biographical literature focused on the protagonist's triumph over childhood trauma. Such texts typically involve physical or sexual abuse, or neglect, perpetrated by an adult authority figure, like a parent. Often written in the first person, the stories usually culminate in some sort of redemption or escape. Frank McCourt's memoir Angela's Ashes is deemed a seminal work of the genre, although not the first. Which book do most people think originated misery lit? More...
GabhSigenod
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 9:36:55 AM

Neurons: 149,736
Misery is not allowed on this rock.
uuaschbaer
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 10:17:36 AM

Neurons: 6,180
Why are miserable things so popular? (Assuming that they are.) It seems, at least, that all* modern, advertised books are thrillers. All* television shows are grimy, all* games are grungy, even films are grim. Eh?

I suppose publishers and broadcasters are participating in an arms race to compete for our attention––the glaring primary colours and contrasts on television is another house peeve I recommend––though I'd wish they'd instead consider offering other things for which people might care in the long run.

Another explanation could be, of course, that I'm getting old at an alarming rate.

* Pretty much.
ithink140
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 10:40:11 AM

Neurons: 17,922
I think defining such stories Misery Lit is rather hard. Over coming the travails of a difficult childhood can be of great interest, instruction and insight to the reader. As long as there is a modicum of humour in the pages and a positive outcome. I love stories with a human touch.