mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
photographing Options
meredith zita
Posted: Friday, November 8, 2013 7:44:05 AM
Rank: Newbie

Joined: 1/19/2013
Posts: 19
Neurons: 61
Hi everyone!

This is the last sentence of my resume: Enjoy cooking, cycling, photographing and travelling.

Does 'photographing' sound odd here? I intend to say that I enjoy taking photos.

Welcome your suggestions ;)
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Friday, November 8, 2013 7:51:05 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/21/2009
Posts: 43,131
Neurons: 595,331
Location: Helsinki, Southern Finland Province, Finland
It doesn't sound odd, but maybe photography is more used.
thar
Posted: Friday, November 8, 2013 7:51:22 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/8/2010
Posts: 22,793
Neurons: 92,591
'Photographing' does sound odd in this context, it would sound better as the noun - I enjoy photography.

You would only use it with a subject, - I enjoy photographing wildlife.

ed - we disagree about the oddness, but agree about the solution!
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, November 8, 2013 8:01:31 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/12/2011
Posts: 34,427
Neurons: 228,163
Location: Livingston, Scotland, United Kingdom
Hi meredith!

Well, I'm sure you will get two different viewpoints here in your answers.

I think that it should be "photography".

I would say "I enjoy photographing flowers.", but not "I enjoy photographing."

In the English (Collins) dictionary, the verb "to photograph" is only transitive. It has to have an object.
The definition is "To take a photograph of (an object, person, scene etc)"

The American dictionaries seem to also list it as intransitive, "to practice photography".
However there are no examples given, and it sounds wrong to me.

"What do you do for a living?" - "I photograph." - It just doesn't work.

"Photographing" does not mean "photography".

Edit: The others answered while I was composing my 'screed'.
We all agree, anyway.
early_apex
Posted: Friday, November 8, 2013 8:28:43 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/20/2009
Posts: 2,281
Neurons: 12,855
Location: Spindletop, Texas, United States
One of the results of a slow job market is the increase of people offering advice on how to get hired. For some time, I have been told not to list your interests on a resume. I would say only mention things that might in some way be connected with the sort of job you are applying for.

The consensus these days is that you should cite accomplishments rather than list the things you might be doing if you weren't so busy working. For instance, if you entered some of your photographs in an exhibition, and one of them received a prize, you can brag on that, because it shows you have some real talent and that you are not just someone who walks around snapping shots of people with your cellphone. In that way, you are telling the resume reader that someone has recognized your artistic talent, so you are not just fabricating things to say about yourself.

Another result of a slow job market is that people add all sorts of wacky things to their CV's in order to be noticed, but most of the time, it just annoys the person who has to sift through hundreds of resumes in order to find one or two properly qualified candidates. Of course, you want to grab the attention of the sifter, and if possible, amuse them to some extent.

To answer your question, meridith zita, you should say "photography".
frosty rime
Posted: Friday, November 8, 2013 10:49:47 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/4/2012
Posts: 1,446
Neurons: 13,151
it's fine.
towan52
Posted: Friday, November 8, 2013 10:53:35 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 8/28/2012
Posts: 1,983
Neurons: 226,714
Location: Waco, Texas, United States
Snip:
early_apex wrote:
One of the results of a slow job market is the increase of people offering advice on how to get hired. For some time, I have been told not to list your interests on a resume. I would say only mention things that might in some way be connected with the sort of job you are applying for.


Good information ea. Also it's a good idea to mercilessly plagiarise the job description in your CV as this will heighten the chances of getting through automated filters.Of course if you are as old as I am, it won't make any difference! Brick wall
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, November 8, 2013 11:35:28 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/12/2011
Posts: 34,427
Neurons: 228,163
Location: Livingston, Scotland, United Kingdom

Ah yes, the computerised CV reader that throws out any CV not containing the phrases:

"Self motivating unilateral team-member"
"Lean strategy"
"Customer/company transparency."
"Environmentally responsible"
"Leveraging executive's expectations."
"Empowered"
"leadership potential"

I'm not quite sure how to fit them all in my application for the lift-attendant's assistant ...Anxious
early_apex
Posted: Friday, November 8, 2013 11:44:38 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/20/2009
Posts: 2,281
Neurons: 12,855
Location: Spindletop, Texas, United States
towan52 wrote:
Snip:
early_apex wrote:
One of the results of a slow job market is the increase of people offering advice on how to get hired. For some time, I have been told not to list your interests on a resume. I would say only mention things that might in some way be connected with the sort of job you are applying for.


Good information ea. Also it's a good idea to mercilessly plagiarise the job description in your CV as this will heighten the chances of getting through automated filters.Of course if you are as old as I am, it won't make any difference! Brick wall


I probably am as old as you, towan. One technique for getting through the filters is to add keywords at the bottom of your resume such as the ones Drag0 listed, and format them in white-on-white font, so only the machine sees them. ;-)
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, November 8, 2013 11:49:35 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/12/2011
Posts: 34,427
Neurons: 228,163
Location: Livingston, Scotland, United Kingdom
That's cheating!Shame on you

Great idea.
Applause Applause Dancing
towan52
Posted: Friday, November 8, 2013 12:06:13 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 8/28/2012
Posts: 1,983
Neurons: 226,714
Location: Waco, Texas, United States
Drag0nspeaker wrote:

Ah yes, the computerised CV reader that throws out any CV not containing the phrases:

"Self motivating unilateral team-member"
"Lean strategy"
"Customer/company transparency."
"Environmentally responsible"
"Leveraging executive's expectations."
"Empowered"
"leadership potential"

I'm not quite sure how to fit them all in my application for the lift-attendant's assistant ...Anxious


Er, elevate your qualifications Eh?
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.