mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Phrases that describe people's appearances Options
Mr.19
Posted: Saturday, April 4, 2009 8:44:52 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/29/2009
Posts: 73
Neurons: 266
sunken/hollow eyes
chiselled angular features
a deeply bronzed face
a deeply seamed face
weather-beaten face
tfrank
Posted: Saturday, April 4, 2009 9:25:36 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/16/2009
Posts: 73
Neurons: 219
Location: Pennsylvania
Hmmm.


People or their features:

Lined
Pale
Flushed
Pasty
Have a sheen of some sort


Expressions:

Hard
Soft
Cold
Warm
Inscrutable
Isaac Samuel
Posted: Saturday, April 4, 2009 9:48:46 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/2/2009
Posts: 674
Neurons: 1,222
Location: United States
Poker Face is what you see in a Poker player who doesn't let you guess the strength of his cards.
kushal
Posted: Saturday, April 4, 2009 9:57:46 AM
Rank: Member

Joined: 4/4/2009
Posts: 11
Neurons: 33
Location: India
stone - faced

Momsey
Posted: Saturday, April 4, 2009 10:27:45 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/4/2009
Posts: 211
Neurons: 23,879

A bicycle face --if you see it, you want to step on it.
A moon face
wordnerd
Posted: Saturday, April 4, 2009 1:42:29 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/16/2009
Posts: 38
Neurons: 117
Location: United States
it depends on what and whom you're trying to describe. can you give us some idea of what you're trying to portray? some other phrases in the meantime:

a doughy face
empty eyes
dead eyes
almond eyes
skin as smooth as a baby's behind
ruddy complexion
alabaster skin
furrowed brow
aquiline nose
button nose
rugged features
pouty mouth
cupid-bow mouth
snaggle-toothed
clear-eyed



WordLover
Posted: Saturday, April 4, 2009 5:39:58 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/28/2009
Posts: 40
Neurons: 120
Location: Florida, United States
The title says appearance. Is this just limited to one's face? Or their overall appearance?
risadr
Posted: Saturday, April 4, 2009 8:23:32 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/16/2009
Posts: 1,155
Neurons: 3,545
Location: PA, United States
Pudgy
Portly
Stout
Lean
Built

I'm sure that there are others, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment.
Mr.19
Posted: Sunday, April 5, 2009 6:09:51 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/29/2009
Posts: 73
Neurons: 266
Isaac Samuel wrote:
Poker Face is what you see in a Poker player who doesn't let you guess the strength of his cards.

Isaac Samuel,poker face makes me think about straight-faced used on the occasion when a person is telling a joke but prevents himself from laughing.
Mr.19
Posted: Sunday, April 5, 2009 6:49:57 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/29/2009
Posts: 73
Neurons: 266
WordLover wrote:
The title says appearance. Is this just limited to one's face? Or their overall appearance?

Sorry,I should have made it clear:it's about people's overall appearance.
Mr.19
Posted: Sunday, April 5, 2009 6:57:58 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/29/2009
Posts: 73
Neurons: 266
wordnerd wrote:
it depends on what and whom you're trying to describe. can you give us some idea of what you're trying to portray? some other phrases in the meantime:

a doughy face
empty eyes
dead eyes
almond eyes
skin as smooth as a baby's behind
ruddy complexion
alabaster skin
furrowed brow
aquiline nose
button nose
rugged features
pouty mouth
cupid-bow mouth
snaggle-toothed
clear-eyed


I'm not trying to describe a particular person.Instead,I just like to collect words of this type.
Mr.19
Posted: Sunday, April 5, 2009 9:00:06 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/29/2009
Posts: 73
Neurons: 266
tfrank wrote:
Hmmm.


People or their features:

Lined
Pale
Flushed
Pasty
Have a sheen of some sort


Expressions:

Hard
Soft
Cold
Warm
Inscrutable

The following is the explanation of" Inscrutable" in my dictionary, LONGMAN DICTIONARY of English Languages & Culture.inscrutable:very difficult to understand;whose meaning or way of thinking is not at all clear,mysterious;British and American people sometimes say that people from Asia are inscrutable because they cannot tell what they are thinking from the expression on their faces.

My question is:is this really the way how British and American people think about Asians?
Epiphileon
Posted: Sunday, April 5, 2009 9:07:07 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/22/2009
Posts: 4,287
Neurons: 166,581
Mr.19 wrote:


My question is:is this really the way how British and American people think about Asians?


My question is: What makes you think, most people think when they come to prejudicial conclusions?
Spahkee
Posted: Sunday, April 5, 2009 2:41:43 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/2/2009
Posts: 36
Neurons: 104
Location: United States
Attempting to halt this digression...

-Well worn look-

Afterall, this post is about phrases that desribe people, right?
tfrank
Posted: Sunday, April 5, 2009 3:14:21 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/16/2009
Posts: 73
Neurons: 219
Location: Pennsylvania
Wow, Mr.19, I never heard that one before. I never would have associated a characteristic with any particular ethnic group, and I've never heard this before. I've read/heard the word in reference to expressions that give nothing away, used the same was as "poker-faced," but that's it.

I'm not familiar with the Longman Dictionary. This sounds like it is as insulting a stereotype to non-Asian British and Americans (because British and American citizens can be Asian as well, which that dictionary doesn't seem to recognize!) as it does to people of Asian descent.
krmiller
Posted: Sunday, April 5, 2009 9:42:42 PM
Rank: Administration

Joined: 3/17/2009
Posts: 217
Neurons: 663
Location: United States
Mr.19 wrote:
My question is:is this really the way how British and American people think about Asians?


I think that's an old stereotype, if anything. When was your dictionary printed?

I do have another webcomic to share: http://www.webcomicsnation.com/spike/Templar/series.php?view=single&id=26696
The character who says "inscrutable" is meant to be over-the-top and ridiculous.

Okay, ways to describe people...
craggy
fleshy
callypigian
curvaceous
Titian (red-haired)
gimlet-faced
corkscrew curls
franziska
Posted: Monday, April 6, 2009 7:52:11 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2009
Posts: 54
Neurons: 211
Location: Genova, Liguria, Italy
svelte
athletic
crew cut
hulking
shifty eyed
scowling
fair
bushy eyebrows
pencil thin
skinny
obese
rangy
wiry
sinewy
piggy eyes
lustrous hair
MiTziGo
Posted: Monday, April 6, 2009 10:26:33 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/16/2009
Posts: 1,391
Neurons: 6,142
Phyiscal Appearance-Negative
pizza-faced
pencil-necked
four-eyed
knock-kneed
pigeon-toed
nerdy
geeky

Psychological Appearance
wistful
solemn
pained
awed
contemplative
exalted
excited
Spahkee
Posted: Monday, April 6, 2009 6:35:12 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/2/2009
Posts: 36
Neurons: 104
Location: United States
MichalG wrote:
Phyiscal Appearance-Negative
pizza-faced
pencil-necked
four-eyed
knock-kneed
pigeon-toed
nerdy
geeky

Psychological Appearance
wistful
solemn
pained
awed
contemplative
exalted
excited


Is Exhalted really a 'look'?
krmiller
Posted: Monday, April 6, 2009 9:03:16 PM
Rank: Administration

Joined: 3/17/2009
Posts: 217
Neurons: 663
Location: United States
Spahkee wrote:
Is Exalted really a 'look'?


I'd say it's more an attitude, but so are all the other words on that list, and attitudes can be inferred from appearance. Also, certain clothing might indicate an exalted person.
fred
Posted: Tuesday, April 7, 2009 9:08:10 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/1/2009
Posts: 1,475
Neurons: 4,457
Location: United States
Tall drink of water
4x4
Ethnic nicknames (nice ones, please)
krmiller
Posted: Wednesday, April 8, 2009 10:40:20 PM
Rank: Administration

Joined: 3/17/2009
Posts: 217
Neurons: 663
Location: United States
fred wrote:
4x4


I've never seen that to describe a person. What does it denote? Big and muscular?
franziska
Posted: Thursday, April 9, 2009 6:44:00 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2009
Posts: 54
Neurons: 211
Location: Genova, Liguria, Italy
Eyes can be:
large, small, deep set, slanted, round, thick lashed, watery, well spaced, protruding, rheumy, heavy lidded, dark circled

Hair can be:
curly, straight, wavy, coarse, lustrous, thin, thick, thinning. Of course, one can be bald!

Mouth can be:
slack, thin/thick lipped, wet, smiling, grinning, toothy, puckered, large, pouting, rosebud, stingy

Complexion can be:
fair, olive, dark, sallow, pale, flushed, healthy, sickly, choleric

Nose can be:
long, short, narrow, upturned, crooked, with flaring nostrils, flat, bulbous, roman, beaky

Body can be:
fat, thin, obese, skinny, muscular, stocky, willowy, long/short legged, paunchy, portly, rangy, wiry, plump, statuesque, lissome, svelte, gross

NourinE
Posted: Thursday, April 9, 2009 9:03:17 PM

Rank: Member

Joined: 3/15/2009
Posts: 66
Neurons: 17,767
hi !

slumped
eagle-eyed
plump
thin/slim/slender
cross-eyed
weary
harassed
mischievous
smug

fred
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2009 8:54:38 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/1/2009
Posts: 1,475
Neurons: 4,457
Location: United States
krmiller wrote:
fred wrote:
4x4


I've never seen that to describe a person. What does it denote? Big and muscular?


I think it comes from the 1940's: four feet, zero inches by four feet, zero inches
Just as tall as wide.
Spahkee
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2009 6:21:59 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/2/2009
Posts: 36
Neurons: 104
Location: United States
Built like a "Brick Shit House", is one I've used before to describe a very well developed, clearly obvious, physique.
bullit16
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 12:37:31 AM
Rank: Member

Joined: 3/27/2009
Posts: 29
Neurons: 87
Location: United States
I'm not sure if this is along the lines of what you're looking for, but my dad's favorite saying (and it's become one of mine) for people who have aged poorly was :
"He looks like he died five years ago and no one told him to lay down."
Spahkee
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 6:24:58 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/2/2009
Posts: 36
Neurons: 104
Location: United States
bullit16 wrote:
I'm not sure if this is along the lines of what you're looking for, but my dad's favorite saying (and it's become one of mine) for people who have aged poorly was :
"He looks like he died five years ago and no one told him to lay down."



Hah hah!!

"Old as Dirt" was one I've enjoyed.
klee
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 5:24:40 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/19/2009
Posts: 45
Neurons: 128
Location: United States
Momsey wrote:

A bicycle face --if you see it, you want to step on it.
A moon face


I don't understand the meaning of "bicycle face." Explain!
klee
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 5:26:33 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/19/2009
Posts: 45
Neurons: 128
Location: United States
franziska wrote:
Eyes can be:
large, small, deep set, slanted, round, thick lashed, watery, well spaced, protruding, rheumy, heavy lidded, dark circled

Hair can be:
curly, straight, wavy, coarse, lustrous, thin, thick, thinning. Of course, one can be bald!

Mouth can be:
slack, thin/thick lipped, wet, smiling, grinning, toothy, puckered, large, pouting, rosebud, stingy

Complexion can be:
fair, olive, dark, sallow, pale, flushed, healthy, sickly, choleric

Nose can be:
long, short, narrow, upturned, crooked, with flaring nostrils, flat, bulbous, roman, beaky

Body can be:
fat, thin, obese, skinny, muscular, stocky, willowy, long/short legged, paunchy, portly, rangy, wiry, plump, statuesque, lissome, svelte, gross



I like "svelte." It just has a "ring" to it!
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.