The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Tim Winton´s superb prose Options
man in black
Posted: Monday, November 9, 2009 10:18:16 PM

Neurons: 1,334
I happen to be reading by pure chance a book gven to me as a gift and that I has shelved and forgotten until recently and I must say that since I started reading the first sentences I realized that I had found a magnificient prosist. So far I have had to consult the dictionary on several occassions to look for the meaning of new and exquisite words. His use of metaphors and his well-told story would make you want more and more. Boo hoo! Boo hoo! Boo hoo!
genome
Posted: Monday, November 9, 2009 11:45:51 PM

Neurons: 69
Here is an example of excellent prose. It describes the difficulties encountered in the construction of the Panama canal but is from an essay on the construction of the Suez canal.

“It was neither a hostile army nor political difficulties that obstructed the construction of the canal; neither mountain chain nor desert waste but an insect that raised a barrier of disease and death between endeavour and accomplishment.”
man in black
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 1:35:06 PM

Neurons: 1,334
genome wrote:
Here is an example of excellent prose. It describes the difficulties encountered in the construction of the Panama canal but is from an essay on the construction of the Suez canal.

“It was neither a hostile army nor political difficulties that obstructed the construction of the canal; neither mountain chain nor desert waste but an insect that raised a barrier of disease and death between endeavour and accomplishment.”

Are you familiar with Winton´s writings? Perhaps I am misinterpreting what you try to convey, but you replied back with a quote and I find no sense in what you are trying to say.d'oh! d'oh!
peterhewett
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 10:44:42 PM

Neurons: 3,698
That is beautiful prose and makes reading a joy. It is like music to the ears.