mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Genetic Mutation Slows Metabolism Options
Daemon
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2013 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,932
Genetic Mutation Slows Metabolism

Obesity has long been viewed as a controllable condition that results from a combination of laziness and a lack of self-control. Although it is true that eating too much and exercising too little are factors in weight gain, scientific evidence is increasingly pointing to biological contributors as well. Researchers have found a genetic mutation that seems to increase appetite and slow metabolism. Many with this mutation are severely obese by early childhood. Previous research has uncovered several other genes that predispose people to obesity. More...
Yakcal
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2013 11:41:49 AM

Neurons: 32,863

I was in grammar school in the 60s, and I knew a kid that had this problem. The socially acceptable term, at the time, was 'heavy'.

It seemed clear to me, even as a child, that there had to be some other explanation besides over-eating and under-exercising to explain the situation. The kid was just as active as the rest of us, ate only when we ate, and was just like the rest of us except for the weight. The 'go-to' answer then was that it was a glandular issue.

The people that have to contend with this problem are among the last 'minorities' to be considered for protection by society, at large.

In the west the preferred body type is not the obese man or woman, but the thin angular frame of a track and field athlete.

I cannot even imagine the sum total of the hurt and pain that the 'over-weight' in our society have had to endure throughout their lifetimes. I can only cringe and hang my head shame as I recall some of the things that were said by me and the other children to this kid. And I think we all know how very direct and personal kids can be in their taunts and slights at the kids that did not 'fit in'.

I am gladdened to recognize that the idea of 'body acceptance' is growing and that we are figuring out that it is not the size, color, or mass of a person that matters or makes him what he is; it is what is inside and what he does with that, that will define him.

May God bless us all; every one.