mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
The Artificial Heart Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, November 4, 2009 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 94,677
The Artificial Heart

A synthetic heart remains one of the long-sought holy grails of modern medicine. Although the heart is conceptually simple—it is, in essence, a muscle that acts as a pump—it contains subtleties that defy straightforward reproduction. Though artificial hearts have been successfully implanted, they are suitable only as temporary replacements in patients awaiting transplants; no device has yet been developed for total replacement of the heart. What is the longest an artificial heart has been used? More...
UserName
Posted: Wednesday, November 4, 2009 11:13:40 AM

Neurons: 135
Its great that we have the technology to save a life, but this, in my opinion, is kind of like playing God.
MiTziGo
Posted: Wednesday, November 4, 2009 11:50:30 AM

Neurons: 6,142
Is it any more like playing god than placing one person's organ in another person's body?
RuthP
Posted: Wednesday, November 4, 2009 11:52:08 AM

Neurons: 87,618
UserName wrote:
Its great that we have the technology to save a life, but this, in my opinion, is kind of like playing God.

Hmmmm. Is this really any more playing G*d than being able to safely amputate a gangrenous leg, do open heart surgery, or treat pneumonia with antibiotics?

I love your signature line. Gracie Allen is one of my all-time favorite comedians.
Drew
Posted: Wednesday, November 4, 2009 12:23:40 PM

Neurons: 4,487
UserName wrote:

How is the implementation of an artificial heart different than any other kind of life-saving technology?
grammargeek
Posted: Wednesday, November 4, 2009 1:47:49 PM

Neurons: 33,836
I met Dr. DeBakey once, very briefly, during an open heart surgery that I was observing.
Desiree
Posted: Wednesday, November 4, 2009 8:05:46 PM

Neurons: 207,221

I wonder if all emotions are centered in the heart, how can an artificial heart will functions to
that respect. I wonder if one artificial heart could accelerate its beatings when I´m in love
or when I feel a strong emotion or perhaps , will it stay hard and incapable of showing emotions?
like a robot. Nobody and nothing have been said about that . Who knows ?
RuthP
Posted: Thursday, November 5, 2009 2:37:33 PM

Neurons: 87,618
Desiree wrote:

I wonder if all emotions are centered in the heart, how can an artificial heart will functions to
that respect. I wonder if one artificial heart could accelerate its beatings when I´m in love
or when I feel a strong emotion or perhaps , will it stay hard and incapable of showing emotions?
like a robot. Nobody and nothing have been said about that . Who knows ?

Couldn't pass this one up. We now consider the heart to be the seat of emotions, but actually, many peoples consider the seat to be the liver. Hepatology by Hans-Dieter Kuntz;
Desiree
Posted: Thursday, November 5, 2009 9:54:38 PM

Neurons: 207,221

RuthP, Thanks for your information. Hepatoscopy means ,divination by inspecting the livers of
animals,specially in Babylonia , liver was considered the source of the blood and hence
the base of life itself . Then ,the heart was thought the organ of feelings and nowadays
the brain as an emotional center,specially the hipothalamus and the hippocampus. Some think
that heart and brain are the center of emotions . No definite conclusions.