mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Humans 1, Robots 0 Options
meredith zita
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 11:23:47 AM

Neurons: 61
Hi everyone!

I saw this headline in a news article from The Wall Street Journal.
Here is the source: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303492504579115310362925246.html

My Question is: If a binary code(1,0) used in a headline with a potential meaning, is it the use of intertextuality?

If not, is it a use of metonym or pun? But I assume that intertextuality means a text linked to another text, or media, but I am not sure when it related to a computer jargon. I think there should be a language device that belongs to a text when its meaning is related/leading to other specific field.

I hope I can get what exactly language devices it's belonging to. Thanks.:)
IMcRout
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 12:12:05 PM

Neurons: 563,379
First of all, it's a pun. It relates, for examples to a report on the progress of, say, a football match (not American), in which one team has scored a goal. It does not necessarily mean that the game is over yet or that the other team has lost - although it can. It most often is just the stating of the current score.

I do not think it has anything to do with the binary code.
Spiral
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 7:16:19 PM

Neurons: 1,628
The article is very interesting and has so far attracted 400 comments.

The basic premise is that human checkout personnel are better than the automated checkouts that the shopper can use.

I wouldn't say that Robots score zero in this respect because once you get the hang of them the automated checkouts are a breeze, and usually there are no queues at them when I'm in the store.

Why not call it a draw: Humans 1, Robots 1.
meredith zita
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2013 1:28:05 AM

Neurons: 61
IMcRout wrote:
First of all, it's a pun. It relates, for examples to a report on the progress of, say, a football match (not American), in which one team has scored a goal. It does not necessarily mean that the game is over yet or that the other team has lost - although it can. It most often is just the stating of the current score.

I do not think it has anything to do with the binary code.

Thank for your answer. um, the article once mentioned 'The human has a more pleasing, less buggy interface.' in which 'buggy' implied errors of robot's system,so what if the headline has something to deal with this jargon? what language device could it possibly relate to?
IMcRout
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2013 4:42:39 AM

Neurons: 563,379
Just as the 'less buggy interface' probably relates to the experience each of us - at least those, who use computers - has had concerning faulty operating systems, malfunctioning software, crashes with ensuing loss of data etc., this headline appeals to the assumption that each of us - knowingly or not - has heard, watched or read sport results.
Many of these come in this format: Team A x points, Team B y points, with the values for x and y for games like basketball or the American form of rugby usually being higher than in other sports.

So the frame of reference here can be called 'sport results / scores'.
early_apex
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2013 11:07:12 AM

Neurons: 12,855
I read the article, and what the author is saying is true. First seen as one more way to shift a larger part of the labor to the customer, the automated checkout machines are really limited. First of all, why can they not take coupons? Second, why do I have to go three levels deep in images screen to select the code for bananas? Third, because the bagging area is tracking weight down to the gram, because it thinks you are stealing somehow, you can't use your own bags and you can't move full bags to the cart until the transaction is finished. Also, if I happen to be buying beer or wine, a supervisor has to come look at me to determine that I look like I am older than 21 (Jeez, dude, you look over 50! -- which I do, because I am 64). Sometimes they can do this from across the room (it's pretty obvious), but it is still a pause while the machine stares at me like I am trying to break the law.

Only if you are purchasing a few items is it faster, and then only because the lines are short because the interface is so bad. If it feels like the transaction is quicker, it is only because the stupid machine is keeping you busy all the time doing some action or another. I do not normally seek out interactions with strangers, but I will talk to the checkout clerks, because part of their job is to be marginally friendly, and sometimes they turn out to be friendly naturally. Even the rudest cashier is more polite than the machines, in their current configuration.

It's OK to use machines to replace monotonous tasks, so people can be elevated to more human tasks, but the replacement has to have a value to the user as well as to the owner.

By the way, I much prefer using ATMs to dealing with tellers inside the bank, but that is more because my need for cash does not always coincide with banker's hours. In addition, when I draw cash using the ATM, I get a printed receipt of the transaction, which I do not get when I sign for the money at the teller's window.

Interesting article, meredith, thanks for sharing. When I read it, I wondered if buggy was a pun, because grocery carts are also called buggies. Maybe it was unintentional, because it created more confusion than humor.
TL Hobs
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2013 12:37:44 PM

Neurons: 6,101
First of all, Thanks, Meredith, for teaching me a new word. I have not heard of metonymy before. I learned something, which is part of the value of this forum.

I will agree with IMcRout that it is a pun. The reference is to a game score, in which the Humans win by one point. This is commonly given as a contest between monkeys and a football. Sometimes, the football wins. The use of "1,0" can also refer to binary code, which obfuscates the structural designation. I'll go with the game score.

On the side track started by early apex, I prefer to interact with the checkout clerks, especially if they are friendly. Their job must be one of complete boredom from the monotony of doing the same thing over and over again, plus having to deal with the public, some of whom are not friendly to them. I like to bring them out of their defensive shell by asking obtuse questions, such as "Do you take cash with proper identification?" Just checking to see if they are still mentally active....

Somebody's got to do it.