Improve English Options
jaikumart
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 7:15:58 AM

Neurons: 33
Refer some best site for improving my English
Djalma
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 8:45:22 AM

Think Well, I guess a good starting point is to have your browser 'HOME' set to TheFreeDictionary.com. It has fun games like hangman besides more interesting ones such as Match Up and Spelling Bee. You can also sign up the RSS feed for the Word of the Day. If by any chance you need to consult any entries, you get US and UK pronunciation with a simple click on their flags. I'm sure there are other great resources to help you but as a starting point more than the content, this forces you to stay 'in touch' with the language day in day out.

Rgds
Boo hoo!
Djalma

PS.: It has News and History too!
CARRILLO
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 8:46:03 AM

Neurons: 168
Read novels. Choose good writers. At least for me this is the best way to improve my vocabulary, grammar, sense of rythm etc

Romany
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 8:55:07 AM

Neurons: 56,028
There are two sites in particular I refer students to: one is :- esl.about.com this has many dialogues that you can listen to so that you actually get to hear native speakers pronunciation. There are lots of excercises, explanations, a forum, advice and interactive centres.

The second is:- eslpod.com this is a really valuable site to enable you to learn through exercising your listening skills. It has entire courses ranging from beginner to more advanced levels. They do ask for donations but do not work on a pay per unit basis.

If niether of these two sites are what you are looking for then just google English Second Language and see what comes up. The most valuable site for many students are those like the above with a button which lets you hear and repeat a word over and over until you are sure you have the pronunciation.

Hope this helps a little. Good luck
Margarit Bamllari
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 9:09:08 AM

Neurons: 742
My own experience. Among other methods, You MIGHT need a small english(pocket edition) dictionary. Any. After you find a definition highlight it; so when you open that page for another definition, you can see that word again. Keep highlighting all the definitions as you encrease your vocabolary.
Another thing I have done in my long efforts to improve english. Keep small pieces of paper with new words with you so you can go over and over until you memorize them.
Old days methods but they work wery well as the new once do.
jaikumart
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 9:11:12 AM

Corillo ,
If you dont mind could you please recommend some good authors.
CARRILLO
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 11:22:04 AM

Neurons: 168
Well Jaikumart, that is really a matter of taste,what genre do you like reading? my choice might be horrible for you. Besides my first tongue is not English, and my opinion is biased, because:

I don´t like books with big words that stress very deep thoughts.
I like books where deep thoughts are written in an easy language, but well written
Besides I am quite partial to crime and detective novels and
finally I enjoy reading so much that I forgive poorly written books if the plot is catching (well, I know, if they are really badly written I get very angry, an example is a book from Stephen King, don´t remember the title, it was such a piece of junk that I wrote in it "this is the worst book I've ever tried to read" of course I wasn´t able to finish it!)

Anyway, here it goes

Seriuos books
Somerset Maugham short stories. I think he uses the language prettily, nice rythm, few words, a lot of meaning. Besides his stories are pretty fun and tell us a lot about human nature

Iris Murdoch: great novelist, amazing usage of English. "The sea the sea"

J. M. Coetze: again, very polished English, quite dark, painful topics though, "Disgrace"

Tolkien, he writes quite flowery or old-fashion, but reading "the lord of the rings" you learn a lot of vocabulary (then, how useful that vocabulary will be in your day-to-day life it is another matter!)

Easy reading books, well written (in my opinion, of course):
J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter: fun, might seem childish, but is not that easy!
Alexander McCall Smith, I particularly like his series "44 Scotland Street"

Crime:
Colin Dexter: very good writter, he is quite picky with his English, always highlighting how well it is written, but otherwise you learn!

Val McDermid: Very good crime books, in terms of plots,writting etc

Hope it helps!

wercozy
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 1:57:21 PM

Neurons: 3,480
Well, I would start out with any of Sir Walter Scott's books. Sir Walter Scott makes the English language come alive with a rich eloquent style, descriptive terms, and saddened awareness that a beautiful language has been replaced with slum-dog pidgin-English.

If you've never read 17th century literature you may find yourself looking up every other word in the dictionary for awhile. But by the end of the book you may have graduated to looking up just one word per page.

If you have the time, treat yourself to the luxury of a really well written and entertaining book by Sir Walter Scott.
genome
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 2:00:48 PM

Neurons: 69
Dear Jaikumart,

In order to improve English:

1. Increase your recognition vocabulary: This is best done by continuous reading. Have a fixed time for reading everyday either early in the morning or late in the night after your day’s work/study is over. If you have a habit of reading you might begin with serious books; otherwise you might start with thrillers. E.g.: Frederick Forsyth's novels. He writes idiomatic English that is easy to follow. Have a dictionary by your side and keep referring to it whenever you find a word that you do not understand. Do this religiously. As time passes, your need to refer to the dictionary reduces.

2. Learn to speak with correct pronunciation: At this stage do not bother about accent – American, Australian or British. The important thing is to learn correct pronunciation. Regularly listen to good English language broadcasts / telecasts. As you are from India I would suggest you listen to channels like BBC, CNBC and National Geographic. You can learn correct pronunciation of individual words through 'The Free Dictionary' by clicking on the speaker icon.

3. Increase your functional vocabulary: This means putting your recognition vocabulary into practice. Use the words your have learnt in speech and writing. Let your teacher (or friends) correct you. Do not worry over sniggers. Over a period of time you will be able to speak well.

A final piece of advice: Remember there are no shortcuts to hard work. If some 'institute' promises you instant improvement or improvement within a month or two do not believe it and do not waste your money. You can learn yourself by religiously applying the methods suggested above.

Good Luck and God Speed!

Sincerely,
Genome
Kami
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 6:04:27 PM

Neurons: 687
Visit www.english-zone.com This site answers all your grammar questions.
jaikumart
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2009 2:13:53 AM

Any more updates guys
Yousef
Posted: Monday, November 9, 2009 1:15:43 PM

Neurons: 6
Hello, I'm happy to join here it's really a useful website.
also I need to improve my English language.
my teacher said" the more you read the better you write". This is a basic rule we should apply it in our English studying. About reading it's better for you to read something line with your level. If you are a beginner like me Dancing it's a hard to read novels which include some thing hard. it's better to read short stories ETC.
THANKS TO ALL
REGARDS
uuaschbaer
Posted: Monday, November 9, 2009 1:34:40 PM

Neurons: 6,180
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/ I don't use it, but the effort spent is impressive.
antranhoaih2
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 5:16:02 AM

Neurons: 21

Just u love English, u get it the best!

English is interesting in some ways. i think the more u know about English, the more u love English.

Just learn English like something u like to do.

Listen a lot, write a lot, speak a lot, create for urself an English environment. Everything will follow the natural rules. U get what u want in the most comfortable way.

Have fun!
b.durai
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 9:12:28 AM

Neurons: 61
Try to tease others in English. It will be interesting too.Whistle
rosicrucian
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 6:02:12 PM

Neurons: 425
We're on the same shoes jaikumart. What I do is read novels and dictionaries
and be familiar of some words including usage and pronunciation. You can also
watch English movies or CNN, National Geographic Channel, etc.
You can try that too.
grammargeek
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 6:15:55 PM

Neurons: 33,836
rosicrucian wrote:
We're on the same shoes...

Is that a Filipino saying that's been translated into English? I've never heard anybody say that before.
rosicrucian
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 9:27:17 PM

Neurons: 425
grammargeek wrote:
Is that a Filipino saying that's been translated into English? I've never heard anybody say that before.

It's like an English idiom but not exactly the same, that means we're on the same situation.

Please excuse if I have some mistakes, I'm still practicing English.Anxious
grammargeek
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 9:37:04 PM

Neurons: 33,836
rosicrucian wrote:
grammargeek wrote:

It's like an English idiom but not exactly the same, that means we're on the same situation.

Please excuse if I have some mistakes, I'm still practicing English.Anxious

OK, I just wondered.Angel
sujavinay
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2009 8:44:20 PM

Neurons: 11
Hi. You can try subscribing to some sites where you get to learn a new word everyday. The words are mailed to you. Its great. Try, freedictionary.com.
shaoley
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2009 9:01:16 PM

Neurons: 740
I read a lot of novels and short stories as well as watch and listen to english movies, news and songs. Since I can hardly express myself in english verbally I write whatever comes across my mind and say it, in that way little by little I realized that through writing you can easily apply what you learn and eventually you become used to it.
kaistenolee
Posted: Friday, November 27, 2009 4:43:45 AM

I am improving through vocabulary.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Friday, November 27, 2009 5:18:53 AM

Neurons: 587,447
Read magazines that meet your own interests, hobbies or profession. As a teenager I used to read Melody Maker and New Musical Express since I worked as a deejay in a club.
cleopatra clover
Posted: Saturday, December 5, 2009 11:59:06 PM

Neurons: 999
TFD is the best site.... you are on the right track and you have to post more comments.
Besides that, lots of reading and read aloud.