The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Meaning of "lemon tree" in the same name song of Fool garden Options
heomeo
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 10:14:17 PM

Neurons: 6
I love the rhythm and lyric of Lemon Tree (Fool Garden), but wonder the author's meaning for "lemon tree". Who know please share us the knowledge. Thank you!
JPK
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 2:59:34 PM

Neurons: 1,998
it's a tree that gives lemons Whistle

but seriously, I have no idea... sometimes, the object cited is just the object cited and not some kind of metaphor. If it is, the only thing I can think of at the moment is that yellow is the color of jealousy, among many other things. Or maybe the writer just has lemon trees in his backyard!
fred
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 3:08:47 PM

Neurons: 4,457
I thought it was this song... maybe they are related:

When I was just a lad of ten, my father said to me,
Come here and learn a lesson from the lovely lemon tree.
Dont put your faith in love, my boy, my father said to me,
I fear youll find that love is like the lovely lemon tree.

Lemon tree very pretty and the lemon flower is sweet
But the fruit of the poor lemon is impossible to eat.

Beneath the lemon tree one day, my love and I did a lie
A girl so sweet that when she smiled the sun rose in the sky.
We passed that summer lost in love beneath the lemon tree
The music of her laughter hid my fathers words from me:

One day she left without a word. she took away the sun.
And in the dark she left behind, I knew what she had done.
Shed left me for another, its a common tale but true.
A sadder man but wiser now I sing these words to you:

Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 3:38:37 PM

Neurons: 582,274
Not quite, here's the song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCDIt50hRDs
Luftmarque
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 4:18:34 PM

Neurons: 39,962
All I got is a weak association with lemons as undesirables (a lemon car, "when life gives you lemons make lemonade"). Nice song though. Why is a bad used car a lemon anyway?
Geeman
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 5:36:21 PM

Neurons: 125,022
heomeo wrote:
I love the rhythm and lyric of Lemon Tree (Fool Garden), but wonder the author's meaning for "lemon tree". Who know please share us the knowledge. Thank you!

I'd not heard that song before. Thanks for the link.

As for what the songwriter means by "lemon tree" in his lyrics: lemons are often associated with a sour disposition or situation, not just a sour flavor. "When life gives you lemons make lemonade" is a nice way of telling someone to make something good out of bad events. In the lyrics, the writer is expressing a dichotomy between himself and his love interest who points out "blue sky," a metaphor for good times and happiness, but he can only see a "lemon tree." So, he's a pessimist. She's an optimist.

I'm pretty sure I know what the lemon is in The Lemon Song by Led Zeppelin too, but that's a whole 'nother thing....
heomeo
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 11:34:29 PM

Neurons: 6
Geeman wrote:

In the lyrics, the writer is expressing a dichotomy between himself and his love interest who points out "blue sky," a metaphor for good times and happiness, but he can only see a "lemon tree." So, he's a pessimist. She's an optimist.

I like your explain. It seems to be the most suitable one up to now for the song.Applause
Romany
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 4:52:19 AM

Neurons: 54,699
I agree with Geeman. I've always loved the song: its a bouncy little tune which I always assumed was a deliberate counterpoint to the lyrics and rather clever. But I never figured there was any particular message or deep meaning: just an observation of different strokes for different folks. If I had thought about it I had always thought that the fact he was talking an entire tree and not just a sour ole lemon meant that there was hope for him yet - after all, lemon trees, despite the thorns and sour fruit, are very pretty.
fred
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 9:56:21 AM

I'm sitting here in the boring room
It's just another rainy Sunday afternoon
I'm wasting my time
I got nothing to do
I'm hanging around
I'm waiting for you
But nothing ever happens and I wonder

I'm driving around in my car
I'm driving too fast
I'm driving too far
I'd like to change my point of view
I feel so lonely
I'm waiting for you

I wonder how
I wonder why
Yesterday you told me 'bout the blue blue sky
And all that I can see is just a yellow lemon-tree
I'm turning my head up and down
I'm turning turning turning turning turning around
And all that I can see is just another lemon-tree

I'm sitting here
I miss the power
I'd like to go out taking a shower
But there's a heavy cloud inside my head
I feel so tired
Put myself into bed
Well, nothing ever happens and I wonder

Isolation is not good for me
Isolation I don't want to sit on the lemon-tree

I'm steppin' around in the desert of joy
Baby anyhow I'll get another toy
And everything will happen and you wonder

I wonder how
I wonder why
And I wonder, wonder

I wonder how
I wonder why
And all that I can see, and all that I can see, and all that I can see
Is just a yellow lemon-tree

Why does she tell him about the sky?
Why can't he see the sky?
Why is he waiting for the sky teller?
What is the relationship between the sky, waiting, and isolation?
What is the isolation he is talking about?
What is the relationship of the isolation to the sky teller, power, the toy, the desert of joy, and the lemon tree?
Has the sky teller told the lemon tree seer to become someone he is not by telling him of the sky? Why?
Lemon trees are beautiful. Why is the sky much more important?

I'm still wondering about the relationship of the sky teller to the toy. This toy may be the key to the lyrics.

pedro
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 10:27:53 AM

Neurons: 63,022
"I miss the power I'd like to go out taking a shower" stumps me
fred
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 11:05:43 AM

pedro wrote:

What does having known power and now not having and missing it have to do with never having seen the blue sky and wanting to?
What's the relationship of power and sky? What is the relationship of power and lemon tree?

What is a "shower"?
What does it mean "to go out"?
Are these "street" words?
Winnie
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 1:16:58 PM

Neurons: 485
I love this song.
I've always wondered about the lemon tree thing. I thought it was a metaphor for loneliness or isolation, but I still don't get the complete sense of it.
CARRILLO
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 1:38:45 PM

Neurons: 168
uauhhhh
I love the song, but
never paid much attention to the lemon tree
I like lemons a lot, you can cook great cakes, and make very nice and refreshing drinks with lemons
Their juice mixed with honey is a great remedy for sore throats
So never crossed my mind a negative meaning!

I guess I have a simple mind: I thought that he is so depressed and feels so lonely because she has left, that he is unable to leave his room, his isolation, his sadness

The lemon tree, in my mental image of the lyrics, is in his garden, in front of him.....

yeah, but I see know that he may mean something deeper
Winnie
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 1:58:45 PM

Neurons: 485
And why is he seeing a "yellow" lemon tree? Isn't it supposed to be green ?
Romany
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 10:24:56 PM

Neurons: 54,699
Fred, Fred...chill! These are the lyrics to a song by a group of people who willingly admit the word 'Fool" into their title - it's not Dante.

That said, after reading both your posts I actually went on a "meaning" hunt and found that, like me, most people had just interpreted it as a pretty accurate description of someone who was in the grip of a depressive state: isolation, putting himself to bed, heavy cloud inside his head, nothing ever happens etc.

So he's prolly met some chick who was all bright and bouncy and gave him the old "count your blessings" "look around you at the beauty of the world AND THE BLUE SKY" and pull-yer-head-outta-yer-ass spiel. He might have been expecting her to come round and help him lighten the load but she didn't show. And That's It.

So for all her talk, here he is, doing the same ole, same ole, no better off and stuck in his place looking at the view which includes a lemon tree (though it could have been a mango tree or a pecan nut tree or the 'old oak tree'). But it IS a lemon tree and yellow is supposed to be a bright colour but it does nothing for him and anyway, natures overated 'cos lemons are sour and pretty useless anyway. So he gets sour and mad at himself thinking she could have helped him. And na-na-nah-na-na he can go out and have another meaningless encounter with some girl (get another toy) any time he likes, so the hell with it. Stream of consciousness kinda stuff, I guess.

As for the "taking a shower" thing?

Yeah, well, guy's maybe sitting with the other guys, roaching a spliff and trying to write the lyrics to a new song that'll earn them some money, and he's lost his Rhyming Dictionary and he says "Dude. What rhymes with "Lost the power?" (Over life? Relationships? To go outside?) and someone says "Taking a shower." So he looks up and breathes "Dude!" all awestruck at the brilliance of it and he writes it down thinking he's just penned the most profound statement in the universe.

Cos he's out of his tree. Lemon or otherwise.

Then again, maybe I'm just not a deep thinker.
Geeman
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2009 1:21:28 AM

Neurons: 125,022
Winnie wrote:
And why is he seeing a "yellow" lemon tree? Isn't it supposed to be green ?

"Yellow lemon tree" is redundant, and it doesn't sound to me like it's really necessary for the lyric or the beat of the song, so I'd suggest that the writer is hinting at his own fears. Yellow is sometimes used to describe a coward. All he sees is a "yellow lemon tree" so he sees his fears, and his sour demeanor/outlook that is symbolized in a tree, which is rooted to the earth in contrast to his girlfriend who sees the sky....

Regarding the power/shower thing, I'd note that "miss" could mean (amongst other things) that he longs for it, or that he tried to get some and failed, or that he has lost his sense of power. "Power" does, of course, mean influence and authority, but it could also simply be his own will and motivation. (It could also be the electricity, but I'm not really getting that from the rest of the lyrics....)

The line with the shower is that he'd "like to go out taking a shower" which to me implies morbid or even suicidal thoughts. He wants to "go out" in a particular way or condition. Personally, I'd like to "go out" at 92, murdered by the jealous husband of a 22-year-old blond... but the writer seems to be saying that he'd like to die clean and purified. The rest of the stanza seems to imply that he knows he can't or that he's not even motivated enough to off himself. "Put myself into bed" could also be seen as a metaphor for death/suicide. But since "nothing ever happens" those thoughts go unfulfilled.
Desiree
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2009 2:43:26 AM

Neurons: 206,965
Too many questions Fred and I´m sure you know the answers ,but I´ll try to answer your mini-test.
1.- Sky, in lyrics,means purity, immense,immensurable like love can be. She tried to show him, that exist
another space (inner-space ) in which imagination can fly higher than the yellow lemon tree (reality)
2.- Why can´t he see the sky ? He tried, turning his head up,down, around, but he only sees the concrete, the lemon tre, sour. He doesn´t have any imagination,tenderness in love, in the intense emotion, he only see "just another lemon tree " routina, boredoom.
3.- Why is he waiting the sky-teller ? because she is presenting to him another dimension of life, dreams,
emotions, imagination, but he did´nt understand, he can´t express himself in that dimension ,but he is trying to learn, so he´s waiting.
4.- What´s the relation between sky,waiting,isolation? Sky is always changing,clouds,color,light,shape.It´s never the same. WAITING = is boring . The boy´s world is narrow, realistic. No action,strengh. He doesn´t
struggle,waiting. First stanza: boring room = his world -- rainy day = reality,cold, boring -- nothing to do, hanging around = Pasive He´s waiting that the girl shows him another space, fantasy,but he doesnt grasp that idea. Isolation= His inner emptiness. he says Isolation is not good for me , he drives fast=
emotion , he tries to change his pòint of view (action only in thought) but loneliness is in his heart.
5.- In short: he´s talking about his inner-self, his disability to understand beauty, share and grow in loving.
6. What´s the relationship of the isolation, the skyteller, the desert of joy and lemon-tree?
The boy understands his problem : "I´m stepping around = thinking, thinking. "desert of joy " His soul
he lacks "the joy of living"because he´s a prisoner of a hard reality, unable to enchant his life.
7.- No, she ( sky-teller) doesn´t want that he become someone he´s not, because that´s impossible, but she only wants to point out that the world is not only a lemon-tree= a limited world, she tries to give dreams to fullfil, actions to take.
Perhaps, she left him because he was not a partner to be happy, no emotion, no growing up, and he wonders "how -why", may be "another toy " = woman , who can change his boredom. At the end, He stubbornly repeat 3 times "all I can see is just a yellow lemon tree." and I think ,this is the key of the song.
I miss the power =It´s impossible for me to change.I don´t have the ability (the power)I miss it.
I´d like to take a shower = No decision different to say "I´ll take a shower. He´ll follow the routine, everything will be a boredoom "nothing ever happens "(And in an interesting life ,many,many things happen)

The sky is much more important because the rich inner world can surpass and improve the hard reality of
every-day life. "the sky has no limits "

WINNIE: You are right a lemon-tree is green if you are thinking in the " tree" itself, but in a yellow lemon tree you are thinking in lemons that surpass the tree.Too much and too long. Fred is to blame.Sorry

Cathie8653
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2009 6:27:33 AM

Neurons: 254
Luftmarque wrote:
All I got is a weak association with lemons as undesirables (a lemon car, "when life gives you lemons make lemonade"). Nice song though. Why is a bad used car a lemon anyway?

because it leaves a bitter taste as does a lemon.
uslfd
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2009 5:24:06 PM

Neurons: 21
What I see from the lyrics is a bit simpler.

The boy was in love with a girl. Somehow they broke up (probably initiated by the girl).
The boy's still loving the girl and missing and thinking about the girl. (His cloud in his head)
This can be supported by sentences like "hanging around waiting for you", "doing nothing",
"feeling so lonely",
and one would be "driving around and driving too far" when one is really saddened and desperate
"I'm missing the power" refers to the power that he could ask his beloved girl around when he needed her

What about the blue sky?
I'd interpret that as promises made by the girl when they were together.
It could also refer to their dream world in the future they talked about when they were in love.

What about the toy?
The lyrics mentioned he might get another toy and the girl would be shocked.
It might refer to the fact that the girl left him even though she knew he still loved her.
So if the boy gets another "toy" (which probably refers to a female partner), the girl
would be shocked.

What's the lemon tree?!?!
The only thing he sees is a lemon tree.
In my opinion, lemon tree might not have any specific meaning in this context.
However, it might also be that lemon does not taste good which symbolises the situation the boy's facing.
Unpalatable and lonely and sour.
Ryoga_Hibiki
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 4:12:08 PM

Neurons: 3
pedro wrote:

well since its 'just another rainy sunday afternoon' if he walked outside he'd get 'showered' with rain
Kob
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 3:05:40 AM

Your friend is not around. This makes you sad. They tell you soon you shall be with them, but that soon seems to never some. You are horribly isolated, going insane, you can't see the good coming soon, but you continue to wait. You're ready to wait as long as you have to, and you will. Things are hopeless. You soon realize the things you do to try and make it pass are perfect metaphors for what you're going through. Listening to that song makes my mind explode because I do all those things, and for the same reason.I realize that when I'm driving I'm trying to get somewhere, but I can't. And when I feel like going out and being part of it all I decide I'd rather take a shower and isolate myself a bit more. Going to bed after helps the thoughts end for awhile. I always assumed this song was about a long distance relationship, because it fit so perfectly, but it could also just be "Someone cheery making an impact on someone depressed" But that means the reason why the person's depressed is never made clear. He does however say, "I'm hanging around, I'm waiting for you" "I feel so lonely, I'm waiting for you, but nothing ever happens." She is simply not around, but they are still in contact, giving a quite clear understanding of his entire situation. Although, it doesn't matter what it's really about, you interpret it. Art is for enjoyment and the invoking of emotion and thought, and that's what makes it all the more fun to converse about. One song can mean a myriad of different things, and it only takes one more person with you to... Huh...
foxious
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2013 5:31:13 PM

This lyrics refers to a man who had a break up from a long-term relationship (Most probably she has left him with no reason) very recently. I'll explain this withing the lyric.

1:
Quote:
I'm sitting here in the boring room
It's just another rainy Sunday afternoon
I'm wasting my time I got nothing to do
I'm hanging around I'm waiting for you

After such event, people who were victims of a bad relationship (betrayed, left, broke up with without a good reason etc...) Normally Isolate themselves from the rest of society, because they need and want to be alone by themselves. When such thing happens, all the daily things they used to do, will put a pause to, because they are restless and do not have patient, focus etc to do them, nor they want to. This way all they can do is thinking and since it doesn't lead them anywhere it gets boring. It's also wasting time, in the other hand, since it's sunday he has no job to attend to. He is waiting for an explanation of why this has happened... or for her return, some event that puts him out of his misery. wishes to wake up and sees it was just a bad dream... But she doesn't return... It doesn't happen.
If the relation ship is an aged one, the partners become part of eachother and if one's gone, there's a part felt missing.

Quote:
I'm driving around in my car
I'm driving too fast
I'm driving too far
I'd like to change my point of view
I feel so lonely
I'm waiting for you

Impatience forces him to get out of the hell (the room) So he drives in his car with nowhere to go, just driving around. (many people in such cases do it) And he wants to change the way he sees this relationship and the ending. Like, ' she's the one who's lost ' This is a way to calm one self down. But so fast they come back to reality and can not fool themselves. he realizes that he's so lonely without her...

Quote:
I wonder how
I wonder why

Blue sky refers to hope in a relationship. a beautiful life. Blueblue sky means even sweeter relationship. Now that this has happened, he wonders if this was the ending, why did she give him such hopes (False hope (intentionally or not)) and instead he sees a lemon tree (Literally or not) which refers to the girl. because lemon trees give lemon fruits that resembles love and as we all know, lemon fruits are sweet and get bitter at the end. which directly refers to the situation the dude is in. As we already heard, "it's just another rainy sunday afternoon" and a rainy sky is not blue, but dark and grey.
He nods out of a sad realization, and looks around. He may sees many things, but the only thing he notices is just another lemon tree. which shows how his eyes catches to a symbol of the situation he is in. like a kid who only sees toys and candies.

Quote:
I'm sitting here
I miss the power
I feel so tired
Put myself into bed

He's back to house, He feels so powerless, cause he can not do anything about it. wants to take a shower but regardless of his desire, he can not do it and he goes to bed... probably waiting for a miracle... her return, but doesn't happen.

Quote:
Isolation is not good for me
Isolation I don't want to sit on the lemon-tree

We know about the isolation, but he is thinking it's not a good thing, He needs to get out of it, "sitting on the lemon tree" refers to bitter love, he doesn't want to have a bitter ending for his love life. again, he want's to get away from that too.

Quote:
I'm steppin' around in the desert of joy
Baby anyhow I'll get another toy
And everything will happen and you wonder

He is fooling himself by saying these. He is thinking that now he's free and can be joyful, yet he still refers to it as desert which implies being empty. also by another toy he means another girl, which shows he wants to fool himself again that she was just a toy to him, nothing serious, in a revenge and anger mode, he is thinking all that to make her feel bad about herself, that she wasn't important to him and she wonders. but we all know these are empty thoughts and he's TRYING to fool himself. So he comes back to the reality and repeats the "
I wonder how
I wonder why
Yesterday you told me 'bout the blue blue sky"

It's a sad song covered in a happy looking music.

FounDit
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2013 12:14:27 AM

Neurons: 65,610
I always thought the lemon tree represented the girl he loved. Like the tree, she was beautiful and her perfume was sweet, but in the end, she left a bitter taste, both literally and figuratively, and this was what his dad tried to warn him about.
leonAzul
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2013 6:50:32 AM

Neurons: 30,576
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:

I think that fred meant that the Fool's Garden tune makes an allusion to the older song in the phrase "yellow lemon tree", and I think that is very likely.
leonAzul
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2013 6:54:50 AM

Neurons: 30,576
Romany wrote:
Fred, Fred...chill! These are the lyrics to a song by a group of people who willingly admit the word 'Fool" into their title - it's not Dante.

That said, after reading both your posts I actually went on a "meaning" hunt and found that, like me, most people had just interpreted it as a pretty accurate description of someone who was in the grip of a depressive state: isolation, putting himself to bed, heavy cloud inside his head, nothing ever happens etc.

So he's prolly met some chick who was all bright and bouncy and gave him the old "count your blessings" "look around you at the beauty of the world AND THE BLUE SKY" and pull-yer-head-outta-yer-ass spiel. He might have been expecting her to come round and help him lighten the load but she didn't show. And That's It.

So for all her talk, here he is, doing the same ole, same ole, no better off and stuck in his place looking at the view which includes a lemon tree (though it could have been a mango tree or a pecan nut tree or the 'old oak tree'). But it IS a lemon tree and yellow is supposed to be a bright colour but it does nothing for him and anyway, natures overated 'cos lemons are sour and pretty useless anyway. So he gets sour and mad at himself thinking she could have helped him. And na-na-nah-na-na he can go out and have another meaningless encounter with some girl (get another toy) any time he likes, so the hell with it. Stream of consciousness kinda stuff, I guess.

As for the "taking a shower" thing?

Yeah, well, guy's maybe sitting with the other guys, roaching a spliff and trying to write the lyrics to a new song that'll earn them some money, and he's lost his Rhyming Dictionary and he says "Dude. What rhymes with "Lost the power?" (Over life? Relationships? To go outside?) and someone says "Taking a shower." So he looks up and breathes "Dude!" all awestruck at the brilliance of it and he writes it down thinking he's just penned the most profound statement in the universe.

Cos he's out of his tree. Lemon or otherwise.

Then again, maybe I'm just not a deep thinker.

Applause

This is the first time I actually listened closely to the song, and I don't think I could describe my impression any better than this, right down to the color of the "pliers" ("roach clip").
Dancing
Miriam...
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2013 10:43:15 AM

Neurons: 12,634
I have never liked the melody to this song and never really listen to the words past the first stanza, since I never liked the words. After reading this thread, I am amazed at how much other people like this song and the depth of meaning they find in it. It makes me wonder about myself.
Nathan Chronister
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2014 8:29:56 PM

The is also a book called "The Lemon Tree" by Sandy Tolan. I wondered if the song might be connected with that in some way.
Alex V
Posted: Saturday, October 11, 2014 2:31:19 AM

I'm sitting here
I miss the power
I feel so tired
Put myself into bed

The Shower part refers to him actually taking a shower, getting ready to go out so that he can meet new people, but he can't because he is too depressed and tired because of it. And him just going to bed just makes it worst, because well .. nothing ever happens .. and he sits there and wonders, even though he knows WHY nothing happens, it's because he's too depressed / scared / shy to actually go out and meet new people.

the lyrics should have a comma and a "I'm":

I'm sitting here
I miss the power
--> I'd like to go out, I'm taking a shower <--
I feel so tired
Put myself into bed

Jonnybegoood
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2015 8:01:30 AM

Hey!

So I know this is an old topic but I just saw it today, and I must say I was impressed at what you guys were able to come up with! :)
Unfortunately, the real reason behind this song is way less metaphorical and way more tragic:

The singer's fiancée died in a car accident, after hitting - yes, that's it - a lemon tree. Hence the themes of isolation and loneliness.

So there you go.. :)
singingGuy
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2016 4:50:53 AM

In the radio the song writer told, that it has no meaning. He likes the sound of the word "lemon tree". He hope that nobody has to interpret it in school, because it is just a meaningless write-away.

He was waiting in the car for his girlfriend. She was finisching her make-up and he wrote the song. That is the whole story.
MelissaMe
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2016 10:36:27 PM

Neurons: 347,528
fred wrote:
I thought it was this song... maybe they are related:

My mom sang this a zillion times to me! Applause never wondered where it came from.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X2GuwDfXlHk
Fabian Hake
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2016 7:01:47 PM

Neurons: 10
The song is about depressions, that is the official statement of the band.
Fabian Hake
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2016 7:31:10 PM

Neurons: 10
The song is about depressions, that is the official statement of the band as I know.

Ophélie Ghyselinck
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2016 3:05:42 AM

The song writer lost his girlfriend in a car accident. She crashes on a lemon tree and passed away. That's all there is to understand... Lemon tree is not a metaphore.