The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Did I translate this right? Options
AIS - Todd
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 7:28:20 PM

Neurons: 9
Hi,

I am ignorant about Latin. I have a blog featuring, among other posts, editorials for which I present a topical subject and ask people "Do you think you have learned all you need to know about this?" The editorials then provide additional information that might help people get the proverbial better grip.

The heading I came up with for these editorials is "Doctissimus Emendator." Is that a nonsensical phrase?

Thanks for any insight.
SandraM
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2013 5:18:34 AM

Neurons: 1,884
Welcome aboard the Latin forum, AIS Todd,
There is no grammatical error that I can see in your suggestion but I am not sure it is what you want, semantically: roughly translated, it means "most learned corrector". Is that what you had in mind?
AIS - Todd
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2013 12:17:34 PM

Hi Sandra,

Thanks very much for the response and for welcoming me here. As I dig more into classical studies (e.g. grammar/dialectics/rhetoric), I find myself more & more interested in this so-called dead language. Doesn't seem too dead to me, and I am grateful that enough people are still fluent.

I think the phrase will work well enough for my purpose. The editorials regard subjects about which people might not (IMO) be getting a straight story from "the news." They aim to correct a few things here & there, and I don't think I can avoid having them come across as a bit condescending -- at least not until I manage to become vir eloquentissimus (if that's anywhere close to a correct translation).

Is there a better phrase that says "mindful counterpoint" in a point-counterpoint scenario? I'm just asking for your personal opinion now, I suppose. Might something like "Doctus Emendator" be considered less conceited? I don't attach a byline to the blog, what I'm trying to get across is that the blog itself is somehow magically imbued with information that other outlets can't or won't offer -- it hits those high notes beyond the range of choral blah blah, shatters that glass separating spin from yada yada...

Is there much difference between "Doctus Emendator" and "Doctissimus Emendator?" Is it that the latter has an implied "very" qualifier baked right in? Perhaps the word "Emendator" makes the phrase sound awkward, but I have no clue what I might try instead. Indeed, it seems to me that the rootiest roots of "ignorance" and "wisdom" were the first words derived from The Word -- and life is a journey between those two bumpers.

Anyway, thanks again for your generosity. I can now second-guess myself a bit less.
SandraM
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2013 5:46:33 AM

Neurons: 1,884
AIS - Todd wrote:
They aim to correct a few things here & there, and I don't think I can avoid having them come across as a bit condescending -- at least not until I manage to become vir eloquentissimus (if that's anywhere close to a correct translation).

You're doing fine so far ;-).

AIS - Todd wrote:
Is there a better phrase that says "mindful counterpoint" in a point-counterpoint scenario? I'm just asking for your personal opinion now, I suppose.

Nothing comes to mind but, then again, any attempt to translate into Latin is a high-level acrobatics exercise IMO.

AIS - Todd wrote:
Is there much difference between "Doctus Emendator" and "Doctissimus Emendator?" Is it that the latter has an implied "very" qualifier baked right in?

Yes, doctissimus is the superlative of the adjective doctus.

AIS - Todd wrote:
Perhaps the word "Emendator" makes the phrase sound awkward, but I have no clue what I might try instead.

I think that any reader when confronted with modern-day Latin phrases accepts implicitly that there is something a little grandiose or corny about them. That's the fun of it.

Salve!
AIS - Todd
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2013 12:06:11 PM

Thanks, Sandra, you've made this learning Latin stuff even more fun than I thought it would be. I'm in the middle of reading (English translation) that great linguistic transition piece, The Divine Comedy. Wouldn'tcha know it, I always thought Dante was some kind of convenience store clerk...