The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

More helpful than all wisdom is one draught of simple human pity that will not forsake us. Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, September 5, 2013 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 92,709
More helpful than all wisdom is one draught of simple human pity that will not forsake us.

George Eliot (1819-1880)
MTC
Posted: Thursday, September 5, 2013 10:11:24 AM

Neurons: 8,606

"What will keep you?" said Tom, with cruel bitterness. "Not religion; not your natural feelings of gratitude and honor. And he–he would deserve to be shot, if it were not––But you are ten times worse than he is. I loathe your character and your conduct. You struggled with your feelings, you say. Yes! I have had feelings to struggle with; but I conquered them. I have had a harder life than you have had; but I have found my comfort in doing my duty. But I will sanction no such character as yours; the world shall know that I feel the difference between right and wrong. If you are in want, I will provide for you; let my mother know. But you shall not come under my roof. It is enough that I have to bear the thought of your disgrace; the sight of you is hateful to me."

Slowly Maggie was turning away with despair in her heart. But the poor frightened mother's love leaped out now, stronger than all dread.

"My child! I'll go with you. You've got a mother."

Oh, the sweet rest of that embrace to the heart-stricken Maggie! More helpful than all wisdom is one draught of simple human pity that will not forsake us.

The Mill on the Floss, Book VII, Ch. 1

Bully_rus
Posted: Thursday, September 5, 2013 2:18:21 PM

Neurons: 302,192
Think that we need pity not forever (that will not forsake us) but just for the time being: "in our hardships", "in our trying times", "when we need it" etc. End of the sentence suggest some "to be continued".
jcbarros
Posted: Thursday, September 5, 2013 4:48:35 PM

Neurons: 9,122
Merciless nature. Are we natural beings?