mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
most commonly seen misspellings ? Options
prolixitysquared
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2009 8:04:05 PM

Neurons: 3,101
What are some misspellings you see on a regular basis ?

How much do they frustrate you ?

I'm always surprised (but I shouldn't be !) when I see only one 'r' in the word 'surprise,' as in SUP-RISE !
mic
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2009 10:36:17 PM

Neurons: 15
Well ... every word processor employs some sort of a spelling checker. Unfortunately, people who conduct e-mail conferences do not necessarily stick to the rules and you might see many spelling errors. This also applies to chat rooms or just simple on-line chat responses via Scype or other link systems. Many errors occur if people don't pay attention or are in a hurry to get their points across.

What bothers me more is the fact that some people neglect their grammar. E.g. When they use that instead of who when referencing a person (a typical American problem, even George W. Bush didn't get this right) or neglect to use the third participle in Past Perfect or Present Perfect tense: I have went / I had went etc. (a typical Canadian problem)

Mic
krmiller
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2009 11:07:33 PM

Neurons: 663
I see "definately" for "definitely" a lot. Drives me crazy. Surely if you just sound it out, you realize there's no "ate" in the word!

mic, "that" for "who" bugs me a lot too! I didn't know it was a particularly American problem (when you say even Bush didn't get it right, that's a little April Fool's joke, right?!). I see "have went" or "had went" a lot too, so I'm not sure it's particularly Canadian.

Let's see, what else is there? "Delerium" for "delirium" (though I think the former might also be the correct name of a band). Of course, mixing up "they're," "there" and "their" as well as "its" and "it's." They all drive me crazy, actually.
Luftmarque
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2009 4:50:19 AM

Neurons: 39,962
I'm with y'all on the "who/that" misuse, though I suspect it's a lost cause. The most fervent (maybe even rabid?) defense of the distinction I've read lately is at The Huffington Post. But that's not really a question of misspelling is it? The one that always raises my blood pressure is loose for lose. Ugh!

As for spell-checkers, I suspect my own ability to spell words has suffered, but that I make fewer mistakes in public since their arrival. Two or three times a week I have the experience of being pretty certain about a word, having it flagged by a spell-checker, and discovering that I had it wrong.
ansarawan
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2009 5:18:02 AM

Neurons: 26
Well, spelling mistakes are very common now a days.
As I understood the main reason for this mistake is MS word which corrects your spellings very well.
When ever we are not using MS word then we are making a lot of mistakes.
Well its good to know the true spellings ...
WordLover
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2009 9:46:59 AM

Neurons: 120
I'd have to say my biggest rankle is its/it's. I see that everywhere! (As on the post above.)Shame on you
bullit16
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2009 10:56:05 PM

Neurons: 87
I HATE definately.
Some that I've also seen a lot of lately:

rediculous
Febuary
libary
sike (instead of psych)
prolixitysquared
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2009 11:03:49 PM

krmiller wrote:
I see "definately" for "definitely" a lot. Drives me crazy. Surely if you just sound it out, you realize there's no "ate" in the word!

mic, "that" for "who" bugs me a lot too! I didn't know it was a particularly American problem (when you say even Bush didn't get it right, that's a little April Fool's joke, right?!). I see "have went" or "had went" a lot too, so I'm not sure it's particularly Canadian.

Let's see, what else is there? "Delerium" for "delirium" (though I think the former might also be the correct name of a band). Of course, mixing up "they're," "there" and "their" as well as "its" and "it's." They all drive me crazy, actually.

I don't know if I should say anything, but I've already seen the 'definately' spelling on here a few times in posts with other topics.

I used to use Microsoft Internet Explorer but abandoned it for Firefox, thankfully for the sake of my computer's perhaps lengthy future. But I noticed right away that there is a built-in spellchecker on here. So anything (or at least most words) misspelled pops up right away with the red lines under it. I actually fixed some person's spelling mistakes in the original quote with my reply below in one post. I digress !

I have to admit though that in the recent past, I somehow did not know that there were two different spellings for stationary and stationery. I am a big fan of snail-mail, so I have cards and pretty paper that I find cheap at the dollar stores and other places. I had been spelling the pretty paper as 'stationary' for ages, not realizing that the word I was using meant the term describing something that is static. But once I learned that I had been making the mistake for so long, I knew I'd never forget it ! That's how I hope to be with a lot of things I'll eventually learn in life.
maha
Posted: Wednesday, April 8, 2009 5:20:21 AM

Neurons: 2
I am not sure whether we can use "peoples" or not. Think

maha
Posted: Wednesday, April 8, 2009 5:28:15 AM

Neurons: 2
i have seen appointement for appointment
attachement for attachment
Epiphileon
Posted: Wednesday, April 8, 2009 5:36:04 AM

Neurons: 166,581
Well folks, I have to admit to being, perhaps the worlds' worst speller, I used to get "their", wrong a couple times in any long essay by transposing the vowels. There is however, something I've noted since I began using Firefox with its built in spell checker; my spellings improved. I think it may be because it irritates me to have to stop mid-thought to get rid of that annoying red underline. I know my grammar and punctuation leave a lot to be desired though, and if any of you feel compelled to correct it, feel free.
By the way, it may be that proficiency in spelling and grammar have strong personality links.
geetha
Posted: Wednesday, April 8, 2009 7:28:48 AM

Neurons: 3
Hi,what does n do in a column and why is egg pronounced different when compared to Egypt?
kaliedel
Posted: Wednesday, April 8, 2009 2:36:04 PM

Neurons: 1,029
maha wrote:
I am not sure whether we can use "peoples" or not. Think

I once had a geography teacher use "peoples" when referring to ethnic groups and other nationalities - i.e., the "German peoples." To this day it still rubs me wrong.

Perhaps not a real misspelling, but one of the most annoying things about online communication today is the common misuse of "you're" vs. "your." I can't think of how many times I've seen an insult like "your stupid." How ironic is that statement?
grammargeek
Posted: Wednesday, April 8, 2009 3:13:11 PM

Neurons: 33,836
I'm tired of seeing "judgement" for "judgment" and "alright" for "all right."
prolixitysquared
Posted: Wednesday, April 8, 2009 8:21:41 PM

grammargeek wrote:
I'm tired of seeing "judgement" for "judgment" and "alright" for "all right."

Judgement is the British spelling while judgment is the American spelling. But I think because we have the word judge with an e, Americans often assume there is an e in judgment as well.

I found this on www.englishplus.com --->

Alright is a nonstandard abbreviation.

Spelling all right as two words is all right.

I think I remember teachers in school saying you could use either but technically, the two word version is a bit more appropriate.
krmiller
Posted: Wednesday, April 8, 2009 11:20:03 PM

prolixitysquared wrote:
I actually fixed some person's spelling mistakes in the original quote with my reply below in one post.

I actually do that all the time Whistle It's kind of passive-aggressive, but I always hope they notice! I don't use Firefox's spellchecker much, but it does come in handy.

kaliedel wrote:
I once had a geography teacher use "peoples" when referring to ethnic groups and other nationalities

That's correct, actually. Look at definition 3: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/peoples

I've never before heard that "judgment" and "judgement" are American and British! I just always understood both to be correct, though I prefer the first. It comes up a lot with Tarot cards--apparently, many people refuse to purchase a deck unless the Judgment card is spelled the way they prefer.

I always mentally pronounce "alright" as "Al (like the name) right."
Drew
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2009 1:32:37 PM

Neurons: 4,487
krmiller wrote:
Of course, mixing up "they're," "there" and "their" as well as "its" and "it's." They all drive me crazy, actually.

I totally agree. The mix-up of "whose" and "who's" is another one that I see a lot.
kaliedel
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2009 2:53:38 PM

Neurons: 1,029
krmiller wrote:

kaliedel wrote:
I once had a geography teacher use "peoples" when referring to ethnic groups and other nationalities

That's correct, actually. Look at definition 3: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/peoples

Oh, I know it's correct, but for some reason, it still sounds like murder to my ears.
Epiphileon
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 5:34:49 AM

Neurons: 166,581
I don't know how common it is but, pronunciation is a word I've had a devil of a time getting correct.
What happened to the "o"?
Toadfoot
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 6:36:43 AM

Neurons: 30
"Hi,what does n do in a column and why is egg pronounced different when compared to Egypt?"

From what I understand the /G/ sound in Egypt and all other words that have the same /G/ sound is due to the origin of the word. Most of these words are from French or other languages. Words that are originally English are pronounced like the /g/ in egg. Not 100% on this one, though. For example - garage and garbage... No idea how to explain this one. reason that they're both of French origin and the French use both /g/ sounds????????

Spelling: its vs. it's and their/there I see all the time. The phonetic spelling of English words drives me crazy too. I blame it on instant messaging. People are in a hurry to be lazy!
GeorgeV
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 10:38:52 AM

Neurons: 2,410
To ansarawan: "Nowadays" is one word, so is "whenever". Instead "true" spelling use "correct".
early_apex
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2009 10:19:30 AM

Neurons: 12,855
Most bothersome to me:

loose instead of lose
it's instead of its
its instead of it's
personell
there instead of their
their instead of they're
they're instead of there
neccesary
verbal instead of oral -- As in, "Candidate must be proficient in both written and verbal communication". Um, exactly how literate do I have to be to work there?
prolixitysquared
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2009 7:23:23 PM

early_apex wrote:
Most bothersome to me:

loose instead of lose
it's instead of its
its instead of it's
personell
there instead of their
their instead of they're
they're instead of there
neccesary
verbal instead of oral -- As in, "Candidate must be proficient in both written and verbal communication". Um, exactly how literate do I have to be to work there?

'Lose' for 'loose' is a good one ! I see that all the time too. I have to admit that I used to spell it incorrectly back in the day myself, but I remedied that by probably junior high. I always used to feel myself cringe when I'd realize that I'd been spelling a certain word incorrectly all along.

When I spell 'necessary,' I usually say it aloud to myself slowly so I know I'm catching all the included letters.
vr091073
Posted: Tuesday, May 5, 2009 1:20:07 PM

Neurons: 720
Mine would be 'millennium', which until last week, I'd only spell with a single 'n'; a solecism which would've probably perpetuated itself had I not resolved to check up the word in order to be clear on the matter. I do confess that I felt mildly perplexed and also somewhat bemused upon realising I had it wrong all along.
Lindamarie
Posted: Tuesday, May 5, 2009 1:59:37 PM

Neurons: 42
Misuse of the apostrophe is one of my pet peeves.
Our high school football managers had jerseys this year with "Your only as weak as you're weakest link" printed on them.
It was NOT a typing error.
Rhondish
Posted: Wednesday, May 6, 2009 1:38:35 PM

Neurons: 787
Lindamarie wrote:
Misuse of the apostrophe is one of my pet peeves.
Our high school football managers had jerseys this year with "Your only as weak as you're weakest link" printed on them.
It was NOT a typing error.

That is just wrong, especially when more than one person must have proofread the text before sending to the vendor.
Rhondish
Posted: Wednesday, May 6, 2009 1:47:43 PM

Neurons: 787
Mine is restaraunt for restaurant.

I do blame spell check (and lack of proofreading one's work) for many of the misspellings I see. I review resume's daily and it is frightening how many people post without proofing. Spell check only looks for correct spelling, not usage. I see you for your, your for you're and vise versa and for for from every day. When I work with my students on reports for school, I have then shut spell check off, print and read from bottom to top. Only after this first proof is done do I let them turn it back on.
sixfoursgirl
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2009 9:40:01 PM

Neurons: 6
WordLover wrote:
I'd have to say my biggest rankle is its/it's. I see that everywhere! (As on the post above.)Shame on you

That/which is another one... as on the post above...
sixfoursgirl
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2009 9:47:32 PM

Neurons: 6
One that makes me laugh = "use" instead of "used" or "suppose" instead of "supposed", as in:

"I use to ride my bike to work."

"I am suppose to take a daily vitamin."

I see this allll the time at work. As my dad would say, "write it as ya hear it!"

grammargeek
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2009 10:30:52 PM

How about "rod iron" for what should be "wrought iron"?
krmiller
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2009 11:20:34 PM

Rhondish wrote:
I review resume's daily

What thing belonging to resume do you review daily? Think

grammargeek, I've never seen "rod iron" for "wrought iron," but I can see how it would make sense... still wrong, though!
grammargeek
Posted: Tuesday, August 4, 2009 3:23:15 AM

krmiller wrote:
grammargeek, I've never seen "rod iron" for "wrought iron," but I can see how it would make sense... still wrong, though!

I see it all over craigslist.
kauserali
Posted: Tuesday, August 4, 2009 5:19:23 AM

Neurons: 1,955
persue for pursue
defination for definition
then for than
hairs for hair... isn't hair plural already?

A very cool website for Common errors in english
alvrez
Posted: Tuesday, August 4, 2009 12:10:05 PM

Neurons: 795
Epiphileon wrote:
Well folks, I have to admit to being, perhaps the worlds' worst speller, I used to get "their", wrong a couple times in any long essay by transposing the vowels. There is however, something I've noted since I began using Firefox with its built in spell checker; my spellings improved. I think it may be because it irritates me to have to stop mid-thought to get rid of that annoying red underline. I know my grammar and punctuation leave a lot to be desired though, and if any of you feel compelled to correct it, feel free.
By the way, it may be that proficiency in spelling and grammar have strong personality links.

I hate that little red line too, now it is even on my blackberry!Brick wall
alvrez
Posted: Tuesday, August 4, 2009 12:12:38 PM

Neurons: 795
According to google, one of the most misspelled words in the English language is "misspelled".