mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
If I got places, sir, it was because I made myself fit for 'em. If you want to slip into a round hole, you must make a ball... Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 94,569
If I got places, sir, it was because I made myself fit for 'em. If you want to slip into a round hole, you must make a ball of yourself.

George Eliot (1819-1880)
Bully_rus
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 5:46:32 AM

Neurons: 316,010
But if you won't play all along and want to stick in that cozy hole forever, all you need to do is to whittle yourself into a square keg or peg.
Verbatim
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 2:00:23 PM

Neurons: 248,292
Daemon wrote:
If I got places, sir, it was because I made myself fit for 'em. If you want to slip into a round hole, you must make a ball of yourself.

George Eliot (1819-1880)

Nothing flossy about that statement from "The Mill on the Floss". We adapt or languish. The individual not capable to adapt may be a rebel, or a misfit,
depending on the circumstances and his rationale for not adapting. Some will not, others cannot.
thar
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 3:28:43 PM

Neurons: 91,848
Well, 'George' certainly adapted to fit.....
MTC
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 7:08:18 PM

Neurons: 8,606

Eliot's quotation is a litmus test for conformists. Non-conformists and those with an independent temperament will react by turning red. Conformists will retain their neutral hue. Readers may judge for themselves which category posters fall into by their responses. I think the test results are clear enough thus far.

About this quotation the usual caveat applies: it is not by the author, but by one of her characters ,Mr. Deane, a successful businessman and Tom Tulliver's uncle in The Mill on the Floss. Mr. Deane, a spiritual antecedent of George Babbitt, explains his formula for "success" to his young nephew who seeks his assistance in finding a "placement", aka job. Tom has been forced to interrupt his classical education by his father's improvident litigation which has bankrupted the family. Tom's impractical education ill suits him to the world of business, but now circumstances will force him to hold his nose, plunge in, and dirty his hands. (I like to mix metaphors.) You may remember "The Graduate," an iconic film starring Dustin Hoffman, which explores some of the same themes as The Mill on the Floss. In an analogous scene from the film, a Deane/Babbitt-like character whispers his formula for "success" to Hoffman, the young Harvard graduate: "One word:Plastics." ( www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSxihhBzCjk‎)