The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Only ignorance! Only ignorance! How can you talk about only ignorance? Don't you know that it is the worst thing in the... Options
Daemon
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2013 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 91,494
Only ignorance! Only ignorance! How can you talk about only ignorance? Don't you know that it is the worst thing in the world, next to wickedness?

Anna Sewell (1820-1878)
MTC
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2013 6:12:31 AM

Neurons: 8,606

In Ch 19, "Only Ignorance," of Sewell's novel, Black Beauty, Joe, a boy, has just permitted Black Beauty to be over exerted , nearly causing the horse's death. Tom has just asked John to go easy on the boy who only acted out of ignorance, and John responds:

"Only ignorance! only ignorance! how can you talk about only ignorance? Don't you know that it is the worst thing in the world, next to wickedness? -- and which does the most mischief heaven only knows. If people can say, `Oh! I did not know, I did not mean any harm,' they think it is all right. I suppose Martha Mulwash did not mean to kill that baby when she dosed it with Dalby and soothing syrups; but she did kill it, and was tried for manslaughter."

"And serve her right, too," said Tom. "A woman should not undertake to nurse a tender little child without knowing what is good and what is bad for it."

"Bill Starkey," continued John, "did not mean to frighten his brother into fits when he dressed up like a ghost and ran after him in the moonlight; but he did; and that bright, handsome little fellow, that might have been the pride of any mother's heart is just no better than an idiot, and never will be, if he lives to be eighty years old. You were a good deal cut up yourself, Tom, two weeks ago, when those young ladies left your hothouse door open, with a frosty east wind blowing right in; you said it killed a good many of your plants."

(http://www.online-literature.com/anna-sewell/black-beauty/19/)

This passage provides plenty of fodder (pun intended) for a law school discussion on the Law of Torts. Chew it over.

Bully_rus
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2013 12:06:47 PM

Neurons: 292,312
Is this only ignorance or simply stupidity?

>> I do not know how long I was ill. Mr. Bond, the horse-doctor, came every day. One day he bled me; John held a pail for the blood. I felt very faint after it and thought I should die, and I believe they all thought so too.

http://www.online-literature.com/anna-sewell/black-beauty/19/
DarkMoon
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2013 6:15:43 PM

Neurons: 46,684
There is another ignorance quotation I like. This one is from Martin Luther King: "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

We can discuss if ignorance is a conscientious choice, or people are completely unaware of being ignorant. Therefore, it's a condition they can't prevent themselves from, for reasoning process, and analysis of cause and effect relations fail or don't exist. What its source is, whether it's the absence of knowledge only, I can only ponder on. Finally, is this condition curable at all, and there is a ray of hope left?
Verbatim
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2013 12:03:02 AM

Neurons: 247,369
Daemon wrote:
Only ignorance! Only ignorance! How can you talk about only ignorance? Don't you know that it is the worst thing in the world, next to wickedness?

Anna Sewell (1820-1878)

Worse than ignorance "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing". The phrase anonymously coined from Alexander Pope (1688 - 1744), found in An Essay on Criticism, 1709,:
"A little learning is a dangerous thing; drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring:there shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, and drinking largely sobers us again."

This in turn may have been inspired by something Sir Francis Bacon wrote in his essay Of Atheism, 1601, which was:
"A little philosophy inclineth man’s mind to atheism; but depth in philosophy bringeth men’s minds about to religion."
The source for all this: The Phrase Finder http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/a-little-knowledge-is-a-dangerous-thing.html

Come to think about it, a lot of knowledge poorly digested is the most dangerous thing.