mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
A very few—as heroes, patriots, martyrs, reformers in the great sense, and men—serve the state with their consciences also,... Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, July 4, 2013 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 98,814
A very few—as heroes, patriots, martyrs, reformers in the great sense, and men—serve the state with their consciences also, and so necessarily resist it for the most part; and they are commonly treated as enemies by it.

Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)
Bully_rus
Posted: Thursday, July 4, 2013 4:14:47 AM

Neurons: 350,719
Snowden our new hero?
seobyclh
Posted: Thursday, July 4, 2013 6:31:46 AM

Neurons: 105
Daemon wrote:
A very few—as heroes, patriots, martyrs, reformers in the great sense, and men—serve the state with their consciences also, and so necessarily resist it for the most part; and they are commonly treated as enemies by it.

Henry David Thoreau, best known for his quote, "The Mass of Men Lead Lives of Quiet Desperation," was also highly opinionated about politics and politicians. His work "Civil Disobedience" is well worth reading for those who have an interest in that arena.

Thoreau takes much study and thought to adequately "dig into" the intrinsic meaning of his words. One cannot simply touch the surface with Thoreau, without being consumed by all the great words written by the great thinker and philosopher.

Thank you Daemon for bringing Thoreau to us this day!
Verbatim
Posted: Thursday, July 4, 2013 7:31:32 PM

Neurons: 248,987
Daemon wrote:

Thoreau's essay "Resistance to Civil Government" (1849) could be said to have taken John Stuart Mill's "On Liberty" (1859) a few radical steps forward, except, of course,
it had been written first.

But to the point of the quotation, its premise may be hard to accept, if for no other reason than the impossibility of scrutinizing "conscience" in any general sense.

seobyclh
Posted: Thursday, July 4, 2013 9:12:56 PM

Perhaps, it would be best to know the reasons behind the statement made by Thoreau. "Resistance to Civil Government (Civil Disobedience) is an essay by American transcendentalist Henry David Thoreau that was first published in 1849. In it, Thoreau argues that individuals should not permit governments to overrule or atrophy their consciences, and that they have a duty to avoid allowing such acquiescence to enable the government to make them the agents of injustice. Thoreau was motivated in part by his disgust with slavery and the Mexican–American War."

Being vehemently opposed to anything, including Government, that would lead to others having control of thought, would seem to me to be the point of all of this.
Miriam...
Posted: Thursday, July 4, 2013 10:48:21 PM

Neurons: 12,634
To Seo: I think government uses television as form of thought controle and as means of passive sedation.

seobyclh
Posted: Thursday, July 4, 2013 11:29:41 PM

Miriam... wrote:
To Seo: I think government uses television as form of thought controle and as means of passive sedation.

I could not agree more. All one need do is watch TV, with all its commercials, to know that mind control is fully at work. That is precisely why my family has given the TV up, except for what WE wish to watch. Not what THEY want us to watch.

Great comment Miriam...thanks!
Miriam...
Posted: Friday, July 5, 2013 8:47:54 AM

Neurons: 12,634
Sorry Seo. I was trying to post this comment from my phone. Like so many of my posts, I see glaring mistakes when I read them later; but I am glad you understand and agree with my comment.:)
The Writer
Posted: Saturday, July 6, 2013 12:03:32 AM

Neurons: 84
seobyclh wrote:
Miriam... wrote:

I could not agree more. All one need do is watch TV, with all its commercials, to know that mind control is fully at work. That is precisely why my family has given the TV up, except for what WE wish to watch. Not what THEY want us to watch.

Great comment Miriam...thanks!

If you really pay attention you will see that Hollywood is tied in with the government and if you really want an education do some research on the movie Wizard of Oz.