mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
How is it that the poets have said so many fine things about our first love, so few about our later love? Are their first... Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, July 1, 2013 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,695
How is it that the poets have said so many fine things about our first love, so few about our later love? Are their first poems their best? Or are not those the best which come from their fuller thought, their larger experience, their deeper-rooted affections?

George Eliot (1819-1880)
MTC
Posted: Monday, July 1, 2013 5:37:28 AM

Neurons: 8,606

How is it that the poets have said so many fine things about our first love, so few about our later love? Are their first poems their best? Or are not those the best which come from their fuller thought, their larger experience, their deeper-rooted affections?

Why? Aren't roses more appealing than rutabagas?

from the Apocrypha of MTC

Hupomone
Posted: Monday, July 1, 2013 7:07:35 AM

Neurons: 1,431
This quote means more to me now than back when. Why? (Fuller thought.) I think fuller now.
Aziz
Posted: Monday, July 1, 2013 9:48:56 AM

Neurons: 74
First love and first poetry both begin with "innocence". In later part, thought and experience come at the cost of innocence and shine of nostalgia.
jcbarros
Posted: Monday, July 1, 2013 11:59:13 AM

Neurons: 14,289
The first love never goes away.
FounDit
Posted: Monday, July 1, 2013 12:33:20 PM

Neurons: 75,232
Daemon wrote:

George Eliot (1819-1880)

Why?
Because first love drenches our brains in hormonal chemicals that are not so heavily present in later love. And because it is a fresh experience for youth, they feel they are the first to know about it, and must proclaim their discovery to all who will listen.

But later love knows pleasures that first love cannot yet understand. And with age comes the peaceful understanding of quiet satisfaction in companionship that needs not be shouted to the world.
Verbatim
Posted: Monday, July 1, 2013 2:03:46 PM

Neurons: 249,482
Daemon wrote:

George Eliot (1819-1880)

Adam Bede's soliloquy, after a little help from Mother Lisbeth, upon finding out his "later love" for Dinah. His own answer: "The boy's flutelike voice has its own spring charm; but the man should yield a richer deeper music." Adam Bede, Book Six Chapter 51
Bully_rus
Posted: Monday, July 1, 2013 3:50:22 PM

Neurons: 366,693
Later love beginning with what? Second, third, fourth etc? Which one?
seobyclh
Posted: Monday, July 1, 2013 4:13:25 PM

Neurons: 105
Daemon wrote:

George Eliot (1819-1880)

I think that its all about who you leave the party with, NOT who you bring to it! Of course, I know very little. I have only been married to the same great and wonderful woman for 40 years. What do I know?

A LOT!