mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
How Can I Learn American Writing Styles? Options
Faizan Samiullah
Posted: Sunday, June 9, 2013 5:49:46 PM

Neurons: 3
Hey all,

I am a newbie in this forum. I am a content writer and good at English writing, but I want to learn some american

writing styles. Kindly give me some ideas.

Regards,

Faizan Samiullah
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2013 12:04:11 PM

Neurons: 594,898
Read some American books, magazines, and newspapers.
Aleeya
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2013 10:26:47 PM

Neurons: 3
Read online American newspaper and articles on American websites
Tovarish
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2013 10:28:16 PM

Neurons: 39,933
Do you get US TV?, you can adapt general speech patterns to words, may make it less formal.
saachi
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2013 4:16:46 AM

read some magazines,American books,American movies,articles..you also take help from net.
Litwittylou
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2013 1:25:16 PM

Neurons: 42

"The good writers are Henry James, Stephen Crane, and Mark Twain. That's not the order they're good in. There is no order for good writers.... All modern American

literature comes from one book by Mark Twain called 'Huckleberry Finn.' If you read it you must stop where the Nigger Jim is stolen from the boys. That is the

real end. The rest is just cheating. But it's the best book we've had. All American writing comes from that. There was nothing before. There has been nothing as good

since."

-- from Ernest Hemingway, "The Green Hills of Africa" (1934)

"Huckleberry Finn took the first journey back. He was the first to look back at the republic from the perspective of the west. His eyes were the first eyes that

ever looked at us objectively that were not eyes from overseas. There were mountains at the frontier but he wanted more than mountains to look at with his restive

eyes--he wanted to find out about men and how they lived together. And because he turned back we have him forever."

-- F. Scott Fitzgerald (1935)

"I believe that, admitting all his defects, he wrote better English, in the sense of cleaner, straighter, vivider, saner English, than either Irving or Hawthorne. I

believe that four of his books--'Huck,' 'Life on the Mississippi,' 'Captain Stormfield's Visit to Heaven,' and 'A Connecticut Yankee'--are

alone worth more, as works of art and as criticisms of life, than the whole output of Cooper, Irving, Holmes, Mitchell, Stedman, Whittier and Bryant. I believe that he

was the true father of our national literature, the first genuinely American artist of the royal blood."

-- from H. L. Mencken, Review of Albert Bigelow Paine's biography of Mark Twain, in "The Smart Set" (February 1913).

In case anyone missed my point, if you want to learn a pure American writing style, start with Huckleberry Finn.

Then try the writers above who critiqued it-- Fitzgerald, Hemingway and Mencken. You can toss in Faulkner, too, I suppose.

Just my opinion.

Lou

Jacklynembrey
Posted: Friday, August 2, 2013 4:13:19 PM

Neurons: 33
well! there is many resources available online free and best some options below:
read a lot of US essay or US document to learn US style many online site available who provide you that and if possible then take writing classes that have US teacher and take practice and then give your essay to US friend or relative if you have and ask them for checking.