mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
By what strange law of mind is it that an idea long overlooked, and trodden under foot as a useless stone, suddenly sparkles... Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2013 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 96,486
By what strange law of mind is it that an idea long overlooked, and trodden under foot as a useless stone, suddenly sparkles out in new light, as a discovered diamond?

Harriet Beecher Stowe (1811-1896)
kamilion
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2013 4:34:40 AM

Neurons: 488
kamilion
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2013 4:35:28 AM

Neurons: 488
It's difficult sometimes to go picking mushrooms and expect to find any at the wrong time of year. Moreover some specific mushrooms require right season timing as well as trained little pig gifted with abilities to find them.
MTC
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2013 5:12:17 AM

Neurons: 8,606

The quotation is from the last lines of Ch XXXVIII of Stowe's famous novel, Uncle Tom's Cabin:

"I know no way but through the grave," said Cassy. "There's no beast or bird but can find a home some where; even the snakes and the alligators have their places to lie down and be quiet; but there's no place for us. Down in the darkest swamps, their dogs will hunt us out, and find us. Everybody and everything is against us; even the very beasts side against us,—and where shall we go?"

Tom stood silent; at length he said,

"Him that saved Daniel in the den of lions,—that saved the children in the fiery furnace,—Him that walked on the sea, and bade the winds be still,—He's alive yet; and I've faith to believe he can deliver you. Try it, and I'll pray, with all my might, for you."

By what strange law of mind is it that an idea long overlooked, and trodden under foot as a useless stone, suddenly sparkles out in new light, as a discovered diamond?
Cassy had often revolved, for hours, all possible or probable schemes of escape, and dismissed them all, as hopeless and impracticable; but at this moment there flashed through her mind a plan, so simple and feasible in all its details, as to awaken an instant hope.

"Father Tom, I'll try it!" she said, suddenly.

"Amen!" said Tom; "the Lord help ye!"

(http://www.gutenberg.org/files/203/203-h/203-h.htm#link2HCH0033)
Bully_rus
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2013 5:44:22 AM

Neurons: 332,469
Only context (place, time and people) gives idea life and therefore value.
Maggie
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2013 8:13:01 AM

Neurons: 2,128
If this had been written today, I'd think she was talking about the Constitution.
FounDit
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2013 10:06:32 AM

Neurons: 69,796
Harriet Beecher Stowe (1811-1896)

It usually requires a crusader, in my opinion. In this case, Ms. Stowe serves as an example.

Modern crusaders in our country like Al Gore, Michael Moore, and Bill Maher on the political Left, and Rush Limbaugh, Glen Beck, and Ann Colter on the political Right, all seek to pull society in the direction they think it should go.

Such crusaders usually show up whenever society has drifted too far one way or the other. In most countries, this drift usually results in armed revolutions such as we see on our TV's daily. In the more "civilized" societies, we simply change leadership, and generally wind up in the same place a few decades later, desiring to change back to what we had originally.

We seem unable to find and maintain a middle ground, but that is to be expected, I suppose. When the individual members of society are out of balance, the whole society is also out of balance, and we are always out of balance.

jcbarros
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2013 12:04:57 PM

Neurons: 9,377
It might happen, but I would not call it a law.