mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
disambiguate aim, objective & target Options
Barely literate
Posted: Friday, May 3, 2013 12:05:52 PM

Neurons: 19,621
Could you please disambiguate aim, objective & target for me. All these words appear to me as almost same? Do they constitute any material difference?

Thanks in advance.
chuckc4th
Posted: Friday, May 3, 2013 12:49:10 PM

Neurons: 537
They can in fact be used interchangeably / synonymously. Having said that, I perceive objective to be more akin to destination. For example, one takes aim at the target, one proceeds to the objective.
towan52
Posted: Friday, May 3, 2013 1:56:20 PM

Neurons: 226,609
I tend to agree with Chuck, they are pretty well interchangeable within a similar context. "Aim" would be rarer than the other two used as noun, but it could be used as a verb with them. For example, "He was aiming for an objective or a target."
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, May 3, 2013 3:04:26 PM

Neurons: 228,163
Hi salesh!

While I agree with chuck and towan, there is one slight 'usage' difference.
It is not a difference in definition, but a "from my observation, most people seem to use then this way" idea.

If one is mentioning a longer-term 'target/goal/aim/objective' and a shorter-term one as well, I feel that I have noticed them used this way:

"Our objective/goal is to take over the world market in gas-powered mobile phones. Our target is to be producing 90% of the world's supply by April 2020. The current aim is to buy majority shares in the two main competitor companies."

The 'objective/goal' is more general, the 'target' is somewhat quantitative, the 'aim' is an action.

This is not a definite sequence, but is a pattern I feel is fairly common.
redgriffin
Posted: Friday, May 3, 2013 3:15:57 PM

Neurons: 160,127
chuckc4th wrote:
They can in fact be used interchangeably / synonymously. Having said that, I perceive objective to be more akin to destination. For example, one takes aim at the target, one proceeds to the objective.
Still one can also proceed to the target and take aim at the objective. It's how you look at it.