mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Chinese-English translation of two quotes - on youth and life Options
3unorchid
Posted: Thursday, May 2, 2013 9:14:52 AM

Neurons: 898
I came across two quotes that happened to echo my recent thinking, so I tried to translate them from Chinese into English, they are as following:
  1. All, but youth, can be started over again. So many things, they are beautiful when in youth, but stupid when (you are) beyond it.
  2. We often make two mistakes in life: to live in the eyes of others and to eye others' life. Actually, you don't have to prove anything to anyone if only you know to your heart that you are happy. Also, do not focus too much on others' steps to miss your own.
Could anyone have a revision of it for me? Thanks!
PS:
The Chinese versions are as following:
1. 什么都可以从头再来,只是青春不能。那么多事情,跟青春绑在一起就是美好,离开青春,就是傻冒。
2. 生活有两大误区:一是生活给人看,二是看别人生活。只要自己觉得幸福就行,用不着向别人证明什么。千万不要光顾着看别人,而走错了自己脚下的路。
Thanks ^_^)Y
FounDit
Posted: Thursday, May 2, 2013 12:43:23 PM

Neurons: 68,660
I came across two quotes that happened to echo my recent thinking, so I tried to translate them from Chinese into English, they are as following:
  1. All, but youth, can be started over again. So many things, they are beautiful when in youth, but stupid when (you are) beyond it.
By “revision”, I’m guessing you mean a re-wording of the English? It isn’t bad as it is, with the exception of the word, “stupid”. This doesn’t follow in my thinking. You begin by comparing the beauty of youth, and end with the stupidity(?) of age. These two, beauty and stupidity, do not seem comparable to me.

“All but youth can be started again. So many things are beautiful when in their youth, but beauty fades when beyond it.” This seems closer to what I think you are trying to say.

I have to say I disagree with the idea, however. There is far more to beauty than simple youth.

2. We often make two mistakes in life: to live in the eyes of others and to eye others' life. Actually, you don't have to prove anything to anyone if only you know to your heart that you are happy. Also, do not focus too much on others' steps to miss your own.
Could anyone have a revision of it for me? Thanks!

This one I would not change too much, but would word as:
“We often make two mistakes in life: to live in the eyes of others, and to eye the lives of others. You do not need to prove anything to anyone if you can be happy in your own heart. Also, do not focus so much on the steps of others that you fail to watch your own.

Hopefully, others will provide you additional thoughts as well.

3unorchid
Posted: Friday, May 3, 2013 3:15:43 AM

Neurons: 898
Angel Thank you, Foundit.
Actually I mean: there are things that are beautiful in our youth but would look stupid if done beyond our youth. By youth, I mean that of us, not of "the things".
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Friday, May 3, 2013 3:45:40 AM

Neurons: 625,347
3unorchid wrote:
Angel Thank you, Foundit.
Actually I mean: there are things that are beautiful in our youth but would look stupid if done beyond our youth. By youth, I mean that of us, not of "the things".

We have a saying in the U.K. - 'Mutton dressed as lamb'. Normally referring to older women who dress and make up like twenty-somethings. They do look stupid - especially when they are driving an open-topped sportscar.
necksbetrim
Posted: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 11:36:32 AM

Neurons: 3
Here is my go at trying to create something a little closer to the original:

1. 什么都可以从头再来,只是青春不能。那么多事情,跟青春绑在一起就是美好,离开青春,就是傻冒。

All things can be repeated -- except for one's youth. There are so many things that are beautiful and good when bound together with youth, and yet become stupid and false when separated from it.

2. 生活有两大误区:一是生活给人看,二是看别人生活。只要自己觉得幸福就行,用不着向别人证明什么。千万不要光顾着看别人,而走错了自己脚下的路。

There are two great errors in life: one is to live for the sake of impressing others, and the other is to not live and instead be impressed by others. All that matters is your own happiness. You have nothing to prove. Whatever happens don't get so caught up in watching another make their way that you lose sight of your own feet.
vivi7127
Posted: Thursday, May 9, 2013 5:03:46 AM

Neurons: 9
1.万事皆可重来,唯青春难复。多少事,有青春则美,离则黯。

All things can be repeated -- except for one's youth. There are so many things that are beautiful and good when bound together with youth, and yet become stupid and false when separated from it.

colophon
Posted: Thursday, May 9, 2013 2:07:40 PM

Neurons: 9
All but youth can be started over. There are many things that in youth are fine, and beyond it are foolish.

There are two great mistakes in life: to live for the eyes of others and to eye others' lives. You have nothing to prove if you're happy, and if you watch other's steps you'll miss your own.
boa
Posted: Friday, May 10, 2013 8:49:47 AM

Neurons: 1,175
By “revision”, I’m guessing you mean a re-wording of the English? It isn’t bad as it is, with the exception of the word, “stupid”. This doesn’t follow in my thinking. You begin by comparing the beauty of youth, and end with the stupidity(?) of age. These two, beauty and stupidity, do not seem comparable to me.

“All but youth can be started again. So many things are beautiful when in their youth, but beauty fades when beyond it.” This seems closer to what I think you are trying to say.

I have to say I disagree with the idea, however. There is far more to beauty than simple youth.

FounDit, I am pretty sure that you are just missing the point here. The things done in one's youth may look beautiful as they go along with the one's age. In other words, when you are sixteen and you have unrealistic expectations or hopes it is OK. You see the world the way a sixteen year old person sees it. And it may be beautiful. But when you are much older then such an attitude is no more acceptable and it doesn't get approved of by others. That's the point. This saying doesn't compare "beauty and stupidity" on their own as you have taken it, somehow .

"I have to say I disagree with the idea, however. There is far more to beauty than simple youth. "

This chines proverb even slightly doesn't try to bring it forward that "beauty" is ONLY simple youth as you seem to disagree with. But it never stated what you are disagreeing with.
2Treez
Posted: Friday, May 10, 2013 7:20:22 PM

wow,

i am so moved by heart/felt 'honesty'.

my heart beats forward with the hope
and prayer that only a someone will ring
the bell of truth!

Jacklynembrey
Posted: Saturday, August 3, 2013 4:55:30 PM

Neurons: 33
i try my best to translate it...
1.Everything can start all over again, only youth can not. So many things tied together with youth is OK, leave the youth, is foolish.
2.Life has two errors: First live show, two is to look at the lives of others. As long as they feel happy on the line, do not need to prove anything to others. Do not patronize look at the others, but the wrong way beneath their feet.