mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Is Christianity a pacifist doomsday cult? Options
Teluu
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 2:55:46 PM

Neurons: 1,412
I think you can say when christianity started to rise it didn't improve life much at all, but to say it brought bloodshed? The Romans, Huns, Mongols, Persians etc, didn't need religion to be incredibly violent. Seems to me that the bible is a mixed bag of all the good and bad man has in his mind. Maybe at a time when there were very few books available this bible gave rational people in the general population a chance to ponder the state of man and society. Christianity is a pacifist doomsday cult full of inconsistencies and few solutions to social problems, and it was supposed to be the state religion. Perhaps this helped lead to independent thought and divergence of opinion in the west along with the concept of the equality of all humans.
dusty
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 4:55:34 PM

Neurons: 5,765
It's a little hard for me to consider Christianity as Pacifism, especially when going back to it's origin. When I look, I see the the BIG THREE (Judaism, Islam, and Christianity) as using the same sources for their scriptural texts.

and what it looks like to me, is the three very different and distinct religions today, are the product of two of three factions of the same religion way back when. Considering that these are the three whose warring threatens to destroy the entire world, It is hard for me to label them Pacifists.
excaelis
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 5:10:55 PM

Neurons: 32,652
"...supposed to be the state religion..." ? I don't believe it was, you know:

" Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's; Render unto God that which is God's ".

A clear division of church and state I'd say.
leonAzul
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 5:24:47 PM

Neurons: 31,166
Teluu wrote:
I think you can say when christianity started to rise it didn't improve life much at all, but to say it brought bloodshed? The Romans, Huns, Mongols, Persians etc, didn't need religion to be incredibly violent.

It seems to me they all made sure that their priests and shamans were right there stirring things up at every opportunity.

Teluu wrote:

Seems to me that the bible is a mixed bag of all the good and bad man has in his mind. Maybe at a time when there were very few books available this bible gave rational people in the general population a chance to ponder the state of man and society.

I think you might be on to something here.

Teluu wrote:

Christianity is a pacifist doomsday cult full of inconsistencies and few solutions to social problems, and it was supposed to be the state religion. Perhaps this helped lead to independent thought and divergence of opinion in the west along with the concept of the equality of all humans.

I'm not sure it is possible to summarize Christianity as completely pacifist, especially considering the history of the Crusades, more recently the "troubles" in Ireland that emerged along sectarian lines, and the saber rattling of those who wish to count themselves among the raptured. They may be loud, but that doesn't mean they are necessarily representative of the full spectrum of Christianity.

excaelis
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 5:27:34 PM

Neurons: 32,652
But one has to remember that 'The Troubles', though aligned on sectarian axes, are essentially economic at root.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 5:35:20 PM

Neurons: 604,649
We'll see it in the day of Armageddon ;-)
Epiphileon
Posted: Wednesday, May 1, 2013 5:15:28 AM

Neurons: 167,071
Christians probably ought to be pacifists, but they are as good at making war as any other group. I would not say they represent a doomsday cult by definition; however, I would say anyone who believes in "God's inviolate will", is at least a passive danger to civilization. Even if it is true we are on the path to extinction, "so what?" "God's in control." If that is anywhere in one's mentality, even the possibility that we may be endangering the future of the species, is not going to be taken seriously.
Teluu
Posted: Wednesday, May 1, 2013 4:04:10 PM

Neurons: 1,412
"Jesus died for your sins"??? Even though I heard it thousands of times since infancy, the idea that a loving God requires human sacrifice makes no sense to me now. In fact, it seems bizarre!
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Wednesday, May 1, 2013 5:04:45 PM

Neurons: 648,610
excaelis wrote:
"...supposed to be the state religion..." ? I don't believe it was, you know:

" Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's; Render unto God that which is God's ".

A clear division of church and state I'd say.

Not in any way, ex. This passage from Mark's Gospel, 12:17, is Jesus' reply to an ad hoc committee of powerful men who wanted, on the one hand, to advance their religion's independence from the State, and on the other to consolidate the State's authority over the religious organisations of their time. These men were Pharisees and Herodians, normally bitter enemies, but who came together to try to defeat Jesus' mission to free God's people from the religiosity of the Jews and the tyranny of Pagan rulers. Unashamedly disingenuous and hypocritical they put a trick question to Jesus: Should they pay their tribute to God and withhold it from the State, or the other way around? They expected Jesus' reply to be controversial enough to discredit him in the eyes of the people or of the Roman authorities and so drive a wedge between Church and State. But Jesus told them that they must do both. Whatever you owe to the world you must pay it. Whatever you owe to God must be rendered to God.
leonAzul
Posted: Wednesday, May 1, 2013 5:18:12 PM

Neurons: 31,166
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
We'll see it in the day of Armageddon ;-)

Armageddon came and went, several times.

As an archetype of political foolishness, it still endures.
Think
Weirdo101
Posted: Sunday, May 5, 2013 12:26:08 PM

Neurons: 277
I think we ponder on the differences between religions too much and not enough on the similarities.
LostinSC
Posted: Sunday, May 5, 2013 8:35:19 PM

Neurons: 1,328
"I think we ponder on the differences between religions too much and not enough on the similarities."

Well put, Weirdy..

There should be logical boundries, however..

Wicca is an almost completely decentralized religion. Finding similarities is difficult, at best.

kamilion
Posted: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 9:36:21 AM

Neurons: 488
What will an either answer YES/NO to your question change about Christianity itself in general? Christianity gets countlessly labeled during its existance but all it does de facto it leads to a confusion in debates on the topic rather than serves any sensible purpose. Even if it is pacifist doomsday cult it is still harmless inevitable end expecting 'society' which can be simply called Christianity I think.