mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Antibiotic Overuse Rampant in US Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2013 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,128
Antibiotic Overuse Rampant in US

Antibiotic overuse is a major cause of antibiotic resistance, but that is not deterring US doctors from prescribing enough antibiotics to dose four out of five Americans each year. In 2010, 258 million courses of antibiotics were prescribed by US doctors. Geography may play influence the frequency with which doctors prescribe these drugs. The states of West Virginia, Kentucky, and Tennessee, for example, averaged 1,200 prescriptions for every 1,000 people, whereas Alaska, Oregon, and California had 600 or fewer. More...
Bully_rus
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2013 2:36:36 AM

Neurons: 361,581
Antibiotic overuse is a major cause of antibiotic resistance, but that is not deterring US doctors from prescribing enough antibiotics to dose four out of five Americans each year.

Nothing personal, only big, big business.
Tovarish
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2013 3:02:55 AM

Neurons: 39,933
Is this really the case?..... or is it the antibiotics administered to cattle and fowls pre consumption?
Bully_rus
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2013 3:52:18 AM

Neurons: 361,581
Two different businesses, one problem.
Tovarish
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2013 7:47:21 PM

I have been in a medical situation with the super bug and 3 others, and I can guarantee that I have not been an antiB abuser, they are stubborn little buggers.
thar
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 1:48:50 AM

Neurons: 97,320
I think if people realised and understood the mechanics and inevitability of resistance, they might have a different attitude - but then again, maybe not.

It is so selfish, demanding antibiotics for every little bug, even the ones that are not bacterial, so future generations will die of simple diseases that can no longer be treated.
(all good for the drug companies though - they will get massive grants to develop new antibiotics when resistant diseases really start to kill again, not just 'other people' with TB.
Tovarish
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 6:47:00 AM

I may be wrong thar, but isnt TB resistant to antiB's because people are not taking the full script?

Also in 3rd world countries medication is extremely expensive and people cannot afford continual medical support.
thar
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 7:34:47 AM

Neurons: 97,320
Tovarish wrote:
I may be wrong thar, but isnt TB resistant to antiB's because people are not taking the full script?

Also in 3rd world countries medication is extremely expensive and people cannot afford continual medical support.

There are the two problems, the acute where people don't finish the course of antibiotics so some are left alive, and are selectively more resistant than the original population, or the general overuse where contunual exposure to the antibiotics which selects for more resistant strains. You are right, both are an issue, but both have the same result, and both are fixable to a certain extent!Brick wall