The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Marco Polo (1254) Options
Daemon
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 92,466
Marco Polo (1254)

Marco Polo was a Venetian trader and explorer who, together with his father Niccolò and his uncle Maffeo, was one of the first Westerners to travel the Silk Road to China and visit with Genghis Khan's grandson, Kublai Khan. Polo helped generate extraordinary interest in the Far East among Europeans, and his book, Il Milione, was an instant hit at a time when books had to be painstakingly copied by hand. What famous explorer carried a heavily annotated copy of Polo's book? More...
Joseph Glantz
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 9:01:40 AM

Neurons: 6,040
I always liked Italo Calvino's book Invisible Cities in which Marco Polo explains to Ghengis Kan all the fabulous and not so fabulous cities he's seen
dp
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 9:11:16 AM

Neurons: 224
And who can forget his adventurous journey to a Chinese bath-house, in which he got salt in his eyes and had to narcissistically find his way out by yelling loudly his own name while the locals avoided and taunted him!
Isaac Samuel
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 10:11:51 AM

Neurons: 1,222
In late eighties, my business took me to places like Hong Kong,Manila and Jakarta where I frequently favored an air carrier known as Cathay Pacific because of their superior food and service. On board, they treated the members of the Marco Polo club, who were usually wealthy business men from Hong Kong, as elites.

Only today, I came to know that Cathay is a term purportedly given by Marco Polo to China during medieval era.I can understand Now why the Chinese business men ,who were against annexation of Hong Kong(a British colony) with China, eschewed the name China and preferred to be called Cathay because it has the European flavor. One of those vestiges of Imperialism born of a make-believe story!