mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Who is fooling whom? Options
TheParser
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2013 7:39:00 AM

Neurons: 22,062
I have just read that 70% of students in country X who apply to American universities submit plagiarized admissions essays.

My questions to you:

1. If a student from country X submits an essay written in "perfect" English, is it not obvious that s/he plagiarized (copied or hired a native speaker to write it for him/her)?

2. Some people attribute such a high rate of cheaters to "cultural differences." Is that a reasonable excuse?

James

P.S. I guess that a clever cheater would include a few non-idiomatic sentences on purpose. Hope that no cheater reads this suggestion!
uuaschbaer
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2013 8:16:27 AM

Neurons: 6,180
1 is obviously false and, one might imagine, detrimental to the selection process. (Well, I have to concede that it might work out reasonably well on the whole for some countries but it isn't exactly fair or ideal.) Whether students from country X are so easily disabused of the notion that plagiarism is permissible that the matter of plagiarized admission essays becomes insignificant seems to me a question requiring a lot of experience to answer, however, a plagiarized admission essay isn't just evidence of plagiarization but also a missing admission essay; how would you judge these students?

By the way, why are we calling it country X? For fear the students might chin a teacher of English in spite?
TheParser
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2013 8:39:29 AM

Neurons: 22,062
uuaschbaer wrote:

By the way, why are we calling it country X?

Thank you for your reply.

As an American, I have been taught to be super careful not to hurt others' feelings. So I did not mention the specific country in case someone from that country was reading my post.

At another website, I was the victim of a vicious, insecure bully, so I have learned to be very gentle and kind in my posts.

James
uuaschbaer
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2013 9:24:15 AM

Neurons: 6,180
TheParser wrote:
uuaschbaer wrote:

As an American, I have been taught to be super careful not to hurt others' feelings. So I did not mention the specific country in case someone from that country was reading my post.

At another website, I was the victim of a vicious, insecure bully, so I have learned to be very gentle and kind in my posts.

James

I see (and you're welcome). On reflection I might've phrased the beginning of my post more delicately as well; sorry about that. You shouldn't have to be so thoughtful, though, in order not to be bullied. For what it's worth, if you ever find it happening again I don't mind being indelicate on your behalf.
Kami
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2013 10:20:15 AM

Neurons: 687
TheParser wrote:
uuaschbaer wrote:

James

wow!, That's so insightful and humbling but ironically, others' feelings are hurt the most by the nation.
jcbarros
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2013 12:01:29 PM

Neurons: 9,377
Where are all this leading us to?