mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Bessie Smith (1894) Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2013 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,236
Bessie Smith (1894)

When Smith was just a teen, she became the protégée of Gertrude "Ma" Rainey, one of the earliest blues singers. After making recordings, she quickly became the favorite singer of the jazz public. The power and somber beauty of her voice, coupled with songs representing every variety of the blues, earned her the title "Empress of the Blues." Numerous critics have regarded her as the greatest of all jazz artists, and her fame increased enormously after her death in what tragic accident? More...
Miriam...
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2013 10:57:50 PM

Neurons: 12,634
After reading about the unusual circumstances surrounding Bessie Smith death, I can say that the possibility that Miss Smith was denied treatment in a hospital for white people could very well have happened. I have an aunt who lives just outside of Clarksdale, MS., and was there myself about five years ago, and can say that prejudice against blacks still exists--especially with people my age and older. Two of my second cousins were taken out class by their grandmother because the school was predominantly black and put in a private school. Listening to my uncle and aunt talk about the blacks leaves no doubt about what they think. I also remember being with another aunt in a public waiting room when I was child, before air conditioning was the norm in public buildings, and being led out of the room because of the many black people there, and the heavy order of perspiration in the room which she found offensive.
excaelis
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 3:10:20 AM

Neurons: 32,652
Oh my, how beautiful...

It Won't Be You - 1928