The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

i need a set of words to name each rung of a ranking ladder Options
sacression
Posted: Thursday, March 28, 2013 11:34:50 PM

Neurons: 808
As the title,it is my task to design a ranking system for members on a BBS,so now i want to find a set of words to describe the rank of all members.
So if there is assumed to be,say six,rungs of the ranking ladder,could you please help me to get the six words(one word for one rung based on their contribution to the BBS).Hope the set of words could be both clear and professional ( sort of funny could be better),by the way,this BBS is about education materials and information, and the uers are teachers. Maybe the first rung can be called Tot, and the last rung can be called Maestro.That's something i can make out
Please help me on this.
Thanks!
genome
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 1:23:04 AM

Neurons: 69
Please expand BBS.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 1:57:19 AM

Neurons: 224,906
I guess it's Bulletin Board System - like this Forum, but limited to a particular set of members.

On here we have newbies, members, advanced members (with the occasional honourary 'teacher' and one "insufferable pedant"™)

If you want to go from "Tot" to "Maestro", you could have:

Tot
Youngster (or Bairn, Bambino, 'wonder child')
Apprentice
Journeyman
Master
Maestro

That's one set for you.
leonAzul
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 2:26:43 AM

Neurons: 30,816
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
I guess it's Bulletin Board System - like this Forum, but limited to a particular set of members.

On here we have newbies, members, advanced members (with the occasional honourary 'teacher' and one "insufferable pedant"™)

Aye, mate, there can be only one. Whistle

To be frank, the idea of ranking members of a forum is silly, don't you think? The entire virtue of an anonymous group of persons speaking within a forum is a certain democratic flattening of privilege and titles, and all the appurtenances thereto. Dancing Just let their words speak for themselves, and if their words are not clear, then please don't be a dick about it, and just ask for clarification. ;-)

There is something to be said for the idea of identifying persons who are committed to the ideals of a particular forum. The question of how to quantify or label such commitment is an on-going question, and it continues to be researched and refined under the rubric of "reputation".

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 2:48:37 AM

Yes - it's a bit difficult.

You either have to have a 'chairman', who assigns the ranks, or some numerical criterion, which is not very good.

As on this forum - the advance in rank apparently comes with time and number of posts, which means that someone can make regular meaningless 'posts' (but not spam) over a few months and be called an 'Advanced Member'.
thar
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 3:19:39 AM

Neurons: 90,875
leonAzul wrote:

There is something to be said for the idea of identifying persons who are committed to the ideals of a particular forum. The question of how to quantify or label such commitment is an on-going question, and it continues to be researched and refined under the rubric of "reputation".

Here we have the venerable order of the Benign Erudite Whistle

(umm, where is Romany these days Think )
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 7:05:27 AM

Hi thar!

In a recent message (in the Culture forum, I think) Romany said, "After being so long away from English I came back with this burning desire to read my way through every book, article,theory, discovery etc. that had come out while I was in China." so she may be some time ... (as Titus Oates said).

I was trying to remember that brilliant phrase "the Benign Erudite".
sacression
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 7:45:12 AM

Neurons: 808
Truly thanks to everyone here in this forum. Sorry about my poor English when i try but in vain to express myself crystal clear,and also the deep-rooted cultural difference in my mind. So sometimes i feel i ask some question a bit disturbing (or offending )to others when i feel it totally natural in China.
But i must admit it is my best luck to find accidentally this forum in my wildest search for a true and pure learning English corner,though there is a sea of organisations and medium in China aiming at English learner.
Thank you for your inclusiveness and open-mindedness.