mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

As on date and On date Options
tennythomas
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2013 2:41:01 AM

Neurons: 3
Hi everybody,

I have a question to ask..

What is the difference between "physical verification of the store as on march 31" and
"physical verification of the store on march 31"?

Thanks in advance...
Shivanand
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2013 4:46:25 AM

Neurons: 229,316
Hi tennythomas, welcome to the forums! "Physical verification of the store as on march 31" is correct,whereas, "physical verification of the store on march 31" means that the verification is done on the 31st of March, which is obviously not correct!

Cheers!
Swami108
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2013 12:54:40 AM

Neurons: 603
I still think they both mean the same. Shiva, Could you please elaborate this a little more?
Shivanand
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2013 1:46:24 AM

Hi Ashish,

Physical verification of the store as on march 31 means verification or audit of the items in the Stores. This helps reconciliation of records with respect to the physical stock available as on a particular date meaning that the accounting is done upto that date.March 31 is normally the end of the financial year and all the verification shall have to be as on that day.

physical verification of the store on march 31 means that the activity was carried out on (not as on) the 31st of March, which is incorrect.

In the above sentences, the date upto which the verification is done makes more sense than the date on which it is done!

Cheers!
leonAzul
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2013 2:05:03 AM

Neurons: 30,816
shivanand wrote:
Hi Ashish,

Physical verification of the store as on march 31 means verification or audit of the items in the Stores. This helps reconciliation of records with respect to the physical stock available as on a particular date meaning that the accounting is done upto that date.March 31 is normally the end of the financial year and all the verification shall have to be as on that day.

physical verification of the store on march 31 means that the activity was carried out on (not as on) the 31st of March, which is incorrect.

In the above sentences, the date upto which the verification is done makes more sense than the date on which it is done!

In American English, the idiom "as of [date]" means "up till [date]". The expression "as on [date]" is meaningless and incorrect.

I'm curious what evidence you have that the second meaning "on [date]" to express a scheduled inventory is not the one intended. It makes as much sense to me to send out a memorandum concerning a scheduled inventory as it does to refer to the period of time covered by an inventory.

The original question asked what is the difference, not which is correct.
Shivanand
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2013 2:17:47 AM

Hi Leon, your questions are logical. There indeed are no suggestions/evidence as to the meaning of the two sentences. Even the second sentence(on 31st March) is also grammatically correct! Therefore, I had take a call based on the most plausible situation! May be the OP has to clarify on this!

As for your observation on as on/as of, I plead total ignorance!

Cheers!
leonAzul
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2013 2:43:22 AM

Neurons: 30,816
shivanand wrote:

As for your observation on as on/as of, I plead total ignorance!

I didn't mean to sound so heavy-handed. Perhaps it is I who am ignorant of the idiom "as on [date]".
excaelis
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2013 3:35:29 AM

Neurons: 32,652
It seems to me that ' on March 31st ' would only deal with the events that occurred on that date, whereas ' as of March 31st ' would include observation and recording of comparative inventories, sales etc over a given period with March 31st as the end date .