mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Sympathy constitutes friendship; but in love there is a sort of antipathy, or opposing passion. Each strives to be the other,... Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2013 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,236
Sympathy constitutes friendship; but in love there is a sort of antipathy, or opposing passion. Each strives to be the other, and both together make up one whole.

Samuel Taylor Coleridge (1772-1834)
Verbatim
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2013 2:15:52 PM

Neurons: 249,307
Daemon wrote:
Sympathy constitutes friendship; but in love there is a sort of antipathy, or opposing passion. Each strives to be the other, and both together make up one whole.

Hard to say what kind of love Coleridge is talking about. Love can be egotistic and dominant and that may qualify it as unsympathetic, at the originating end.
Spurned love, much like being spurned intellectually, may be cause for opposing passion because love was not returned with sympathetic agreement, from the other end.

Antipathy follows on the heels of being spurned: It claims the self-defense as a reason when self-interest is the motive. Is that still love?
dusty
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2013 5:44:46 PM

Neurons: 5,765
It is hard to hear what Coleridge is thinking. The only thing I can come up with is the word antipathy being used as if to mean anti-pathogenic, or a force against things that cause harm via disease, because like Verbatim mentioned

"Love can be egotistic and dominant and that may qualify it as unsympathetic"

and I don't think there is anybody who has experienced Love that can deny that there are certainly times it feels that way, both towards the people you love and other times they way their love for you feels.

But hopefully those are more temporary feelings in regards to love. Hopefully they are more temporary as opposed to the more permanent ways you view and feel love and express love. Being Human, I think it is impossible to not at some point in time been in an heated argument and vehemently disagree, and be so infuriated that in the heat of the moment many people might think the the quarreling lovers hate each other, and that certainly might be true, however I would think, I would hope that those temporary feeling of being upset would be thoughts a person rarely feels, hence the more temporariness of their nature.

But it is sometimes those extremely temporary emotions that have the strength of tidal waves, so it isn't exactly something that can be ignored, but rather dealt with properly in healthy ways like a tidal wave barrier, otherwise those fifty year waves can destroy (fifty meaning every year there is a one in fifty odds which is NOT the same as happening once on average every fifty years)

Maybe he is just explaining when lovers find they aren't compatible to be together in today's traditional sense of "more than friends" and why that love often effects a "broken up" pair in ways that do not allow friendship in the traditional manner, which traditional and likely rather ignorantly places all authority to define the relationship on whether or not there is a sexual aspect.

And I don't know if it is societies unhealthy view of sex, which is not at all do people being "prudes" but rather the way those in control of our societies "police" and "enforce" there view on a universally sacred topic such as sex. In regards to sex, the part that is so unhealthy and damaging is the employment of shame, or undesired humiliation that is accepted by society as OK means to police and enforce a view of sexuality

which is wrong, flat out wrong, and a serious violation against a person to do them wrong in regards to a sacred aspect of their life

otherwise, if not being caused by the flawed beliefs in loved adopted by the masses, I suspect the reason that one person cannot be friends with another after "breaking up" is due to foul play. As in being treated wrongly, as in one or both parties behavior being not the type of thing one would due to a person the love, nor would it be acceptable to treat someone they considered their friend, and in those cases, I believe it reflects wisdom when love experienced in the past prevents a later friendship with the people you experienced love with.

But when people stop for a second, and in reflection or attempt to practice honesty, friendship and love can be together one of the single most satisfying and fulfilling way to experience life.

although I admit the part that has me puzzled is the completely coincidental cherry on top that seems to manifest itself in satisfying and fulfilling sexual experience. Which is one of the many reasons I believe in God, because he often winks at US in peculiar ways
Runi
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2013 7:33:47 PM

Neurons: 2,281
Daemon wrote:

in Love and War.
Miriam...
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2013 10:37:53 PM

Neurons: 12,634
I wonder if he is talking about the positive and negative attraction that opposites feel, as opposed to two positives or two negatives that exists side by side without any particular pull toward each other.