mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Home Library Options
cleopatra clover
Posted: Monday, September 7, 2009 11:44:38 AM

Neurons: 999
I always love reading...and so does my children. I started buying books ever since I was 12 years old. And even now that my children has grownup, I still buy them books every month...and for myself too, of course.
To me having a home library is very important, don't you think?
Kat
Posted: Monday, September 7, 2009 12:08:03 PM

Neurons: 3,389
Yes, I agree, having a home library is very important to my family as well.
I am in the process of trying to figure out where in this house I could put
some book cases or have some built-ins put in to finally house all the books
we've accumulated. In the mean time, we are regular visitors to the local
library.
bugdoctor
Posted: Monday, September 7, 2009 12:42:55 PM

Neurons: 5,456
Kat wrote:
library.

We're very informal at home. Having guests over, parties, etc. never requires a 'formal dining room'. We made the decision several years ago to convert the dining room into a REAL library, and we've never looked back.

It's a great place to relax.

cleopatra clover
Posted: Monday, September 7, 2009 1:11:03 PM

Bugdoctor wrote:
Kat wrote:

library.

We're very informal at home. Having guests over, parties, etc. never requires a 'formal dining room'. We made the decision several
years ago to convert the dining room into a REAL library, and we've never looked back.

It's a great place to relax.

Nice knowing that everyone thinks the same. Well Bugdoctor, I just had a conversation with my children earlier today that we should shift our bookselves to the dining room since my bedroom can no longer house all the books as it keeps on increasing. And we do need more bookselves.

risadr
Posted: Monday, September 7, 2009 1:52:12 PM

Neurons: 3,545
My books are currently housed in the same boxes that I packed them in when I moved, since I had to sell my bookshelves to move to PA from FL. When I move into an apartment in December (right now, I'm living with family), I'll definitely be purchasing some bookshelves to get my books out where I can see them, since I tend to read more when I have ready access to my books.
jagxk
Posted: Monday, September 7, 2009 10:12:37 PM

Neurons: 2,464
My wife thinks I am addicted to books and I cannot deny it. My mother was a big time reader and I guess that is where I get it. I do not know what program Microsoft may have, but I keep track of my library on "Booxster". I use a MacBook Pro.
TB
Posted: Monday, September 7, 2009 10:35:37 PM

Neurons: 4,277
We keep a modest library but we donate most of the books we've read to charities. There are so many times I've looked for a book only to realize it's gone. It makes me a bit sad because I have a weird thing about books. I can look at a book and remember exactly when and where I read it and what was going on in my life at the time. Books are a kind of time machine for me.
TYSON
Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2009 1:40:52 AM

Neurons: 3,793
Ive been compiling a home library for years. My ex girlfriend tried very hard to convince me to rid myself of "all those bloody books".
Angel-Baby
Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2009 4:31:08 AM

Neurons: 243
My personal library is at about 11000 books, down from about 15000. (Not a typo.) I am gradually weeding out a few at a time. My rule is that no book may come in to my house without one going out. I quit smoking 15 years ago because the cost (I was underage at the time and had to pay double) was eating into my book buying money. I ended up with the more expensive addiction.
risadr
Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2009 9:53:19 AM

Neurons: 3,545
TYSON wrote:
Ive been compiling a home library for years. My ex girlfriend tried very hard to convince me to rid myself of "all those bloody books".

I guess she's an ex for good reason. lol
TB
Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2009 10:28:28 AM

"Never lend me a book; every book I own, I borrowed" Dancing
Cathie8653
Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2009 10:30:08 AM

Neurons: 254
TB wrote:
We keep a modest library but we donate most of the books we've read to charities. There are so many times I've looked for a book only to realize it's gone. It makes me a bit sad because I have a weird thing about books. I can look at a book and remember exactly when and where I read it and what was going on in my life at the time. Books are a kind of time machine for me.

Totally agree about the 'time machine' thing. I have a limited number of books now because of a recent down size and I, too, donate lots to charity shops. When I go looking for one I have passed on and cannot find it, it sends me 'hotfoot' to the charity shops to see if there is a copy about. Oftentimes, I end up buying four or five and generally do not find the one I went looking for!

There is a website called 'Book crossing' which is good fun, was involved for a while, but then stopped. May have to start again =- have a look see what you think: www.bookcrossing.com Think
TB
Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2009 10:45:15 AM

Cathie8653 wrote:
[quote=TB] "...When I go looking for one I have passed on and cannot find it, it sends me 'hotfoot' to the charity shops to see if there is a copy about...

That reminds me...You'd be amazed at how many books get left in the seat pockets of airplanes. Often the books are first edition, best sellers purchased at the airport's book and news stands. They are not cheap. It always bothered me that someone had forgotten a book because a book is like a friend who takes you to interesting places and introduces you to new and fascinating people. Rather cavalier treatment of a friend don't you think? I always turned the books in to Lost and Found.

Interesting link Cathie, thanks.
RuthP
Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2009 10:51:01 AM

Neurons: 87,618
Cathie8653 wrote:
There is a website called 'Book crossing' which is good fun, was involved for a while, but then stopped. May have to start again =- have a look see what you think: www.bookcrossing.com Think

I'll second Cathie's reference to bookcrossing. Set your books free!
nxt_annawintour
Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2009 11:21:28 AM

Neurons: 135
Do any of you catalog the books in your home library? I've heard of software and the like that can aid in doing this, but I'm just wondering if anyone does it and if it's worth it?
cleopatra clover
Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2009 5:11:12 PM

TB wrote:

Hi TB, you remind me of someone...a dear friend. He love all his books so much; everytime he want to start reading a new book, he will write down the date, time and what happened that day, on the first page. Yeah, you can say that its a kind of time machine or a diary.

cleopatra clover
Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2009 5:35:53 PM

nxt annawintour wrote:
Do any of you catalog the books in your home library? I've heard of software and the like that can aid in doing this, but I'm just wondering if anyone does it and if it's worth it?

I've never thought of it before and I also would like to know if there are anyone out there who does it; I guess if you have a real lot of books (maybe a few thousands) than, maybe its worth it. -Cleo
TB
Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2009 6:44:13 PM

If you are one of those people who walks into a library and it feels like coming home, you're going to love this:

http://pixdaus.com/?sort=tag&tag=library

grammargeek
Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2009 7:01:24 PM

Neurons: 33,836
nxt_annawintour wrote:

I've never thought about cataloguing my books so I don't know anything about software programs made for that purpose. However, earlier in this thread, jagxk said, "I do not know what program Microsoft may have, but I keep track of my library on 'Booxster'. I use a MacBook Pro."

Maybe that helps.
cleopatra clover
Posted: Wednesday, September 9, 2009 8:51:36 AM

TB wrote :
If you are one of those people who walks into a library and it feels like coming home, you're going to love this:

http://pixdaus.com/?sort=tag&tag=library

Wow! Thank you TB, I really love all and every each of those libraries....most of them are really breathtaking; guess I am able to stay and read in those libraries all day long without even getting bored. - Cleo
LeadPal
Posted: Wednesday, September 9, 2009 5:46:18 PM

Neurons: 1,413
My home is a library. The only flat surface that doesn't have a few books on it at any moment is the ceiling. The cost isn't too bad, as I buy used almost exclusively, but keeping track of them all is a problem: I have a steady source of Christmas gifts just from the duplicates I routinely buy.
TB
Posted: Wednesday, September 9, 2009 7:10:23 PM

cleopatra clover wrote:
"...I really love all and every each of those libraries....most of them are really breathtaking; guess I am able to stay and read in those libraries all day long without even getting bored. - Cleo [/size]

Glad you liked the libraries. I got to digging around and found THIS

(20 of the World's Most Beautiful Libraries)

Angel-Baby
Posted: Wednesday, September 9, 2009 10:41:03 PM

Neurons: 243
nxt_annawintour wrote:

Yes, I catalog my books, movies, just about everything. But I'm a wee bit obsessive. (You should see the playlists on my iPod.) I don't know about the software available. I developed my own database because I had specific fields I wanted listed.
prolixitysquared
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2009 8:12:38 PM

Neurons: 3,101
cleopatra clover wrote:
I always love reading...and so does my children. I started buying books ever since I was 12 years old. And even now that my children has grownup, I still buy them books every month...and for myself too, of course.
To me having a home library is very important, don't you think?

I know I'm vain for aesthetic bookshelves. When we bought our current home, we loved that one of the previous owners put a small addition onto the front of the house, using one of the old windows to make a bookshelf in the wall. It looks so great. I love picking out books from its shelves. It's just a cozy little place that always brings warm feelings to me.
cleopatra clover
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2009 10:49:24 AM

prolixitysquared wrote :
I know I'm vain for aesthetic bookshelves. When we bought our current home, we loved that one of the previous owners put a small addition onto the front of the house, using one of the old windows to make a bookshelf in the wall. It looks so great. I love picking out books from its shelves. It's just a cozy little place that always brings warm feelings to me.

Hi Prolixity....HHmmm..I can imagine how nice your bookshelves are; it must be one of your favourite spot in the house. - Cleo