The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Chinese Cancer Villages Officially Acknowledged Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 93,438
Chinese Cancer Villages Officially Acknowledged

For years, the media has reported on so-called cancer villages in China, but the Chinese government has never publicly acknowledged the existence of such villages until now. A recent report from the Chinese environment ministry cites exposure to toxic chemicals—many of which are banned in developed nations—as a causative factor in the emergence of cancer villages. The report does not elaborate on what constitutes such a village, but it is generally understood to be one in which cancer rates are disproportionately high, often as a result of industrial pollution. More...
MTC
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 7:36:32 AM

Neurons: 8,606

Amusing choice of words: "There have been many calls for China to be more transparent on pollution."

But nothing amusing about the subject itself. China is one big "Cancer Village."
thar
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8:53:57 AM

Neurons: 90,917
You don't have to wait for cancer rates to see the massive and immediate effect of industrial pollution on some of these villages. So much for the people's party - only for the right people with the right factories or the right bribes.

[image not available]

If you are not part of the great race to industialisation, you are not important. So you live in a village where the water you drink, the food you eat and the air you breathe are poisonous and carcinogenic? There are always casualties in the great advance!

(sarcasm alert, in case people think I am serious. Because there must be at least a few tens of thousands with a bit of power in china who think that way. I know they are they only culprits, but they are starting from a place where they still have the chance to do it right - no excuses or ignorance!)
sarah71
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 3:30:35 PM

Neurons: 79,449
here's the first part of a very interesting documentary - China from the inside - I watched a few weeks ago, there's some talk on cancer and HIV-affected villages in section three or four (I can't recall it right now).
Hope you will like it!
thar
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 4:02:11 PM

Neurons: 90,917
sorry, just had to add a post because I read mine and it seems to be missing a few words that render it nonsensical and I cannot edit.

Quote:
I know they are not the only culprits...

I have had a hectic day, and my posts here have obviously suffered, missing a few pretty important words, sorry to say. I feel suitably ashamed!Eh?