mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
"Heckenmünze" vs. "Münzstätte" -- Synonyms?? Options
milehigh
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 1:35:02 PM

Neurons: 5,711
Hallo, allerseits

There is an old (and somewhat gruesome) witch's trick that was believed to be a way one could come into large sums of money. But one needed a few ingredients to do it. One was a "Heckenmünze" -- I believe this was a counterfeit coin. But this is what Wikipedia says:

"Eine Heckenmünze ist eine geheime, nicht legale Münzstätte. Je nach Wert bezeichnet man deren Elaborate als Heckpfennige, Heckgroschen oder Hecktaler. ..."

OK, but "Muenze" is a coin, and "Münzstätte" is a place, right? So how does that Wikipedia bit make sense??

The whole Wikipedia thing is at:

http://goo.gl/h5ro5

???

Cheers!

J. in CO

P.S.: If you can help me, I'll give you the rest of the ingredients for getting rich -- but you probably won't like it because it involves making "devil's breeches"...
IMcRout
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 2:49:10 PM

Neurons: 563,379
I think your confusion results from the fact that 'Münze' means both 'coin' and 'mint', the place where coins are minted. 'Münzstätte' is another name for that place.

What 'moonshining' or 'bootlegging' is for whisky, the 'Heckenmünze' apparently was for minting, a place for making counterfeit, i.e. illegal, coins.
milehigh
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 3:25:48 PM

Ahh, IMcRout...I thought you might intervene.

OK, though 'Münzstätte' seems a bit tautological to me I'll accept that.

So you get the magic secret for wealth (according to not only Iceland but apparently a good bit of northern Europe):

First, you need to avail yourself of a sharp knife and a dead male corpse. Then, you skin the corpse from the waist down VERY CAREFULLY to avoid damaging -- well, you know -- "all parts".

And before you say this is nonsense, have a look at:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Teufelshose_1.jpg

-- so someone thought it worth doing...

Here, the process varies. Some say you must simply put the breeches on and sleep with them for a night. Other versions say that you must steal a Heckenmuenze (aka "hexenmuenze/-groschen/-taler"), place it in that portion of the "devil's breeches" where the sun didn't shine before you hit the sack (sorry) for the night.

The next day, you take off the breeches, take the coin, put it in your pocket and keep it there for the REST OF YOUR LIFE!

Now, if as your final days are approaching you must make arrangements for the breeches and the coin to go to someone knowledgeable in this fine magical art. That person must put a leg into one side while you have yours in the other. Then you bequeath the breeches and the coin to them. If you fail to make this bequest to a willing and able sucker, your soul is lost for eternity.

All in all, I find a program of advanced studies of environmental sciences to be more appealing, even if it doesn't pay as well.

Cheers!

J. in CO

IMcRout
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 5:28:18 PM

Neurons: 563,379
Thanks for the advice. I need some new trousers anyway.
Now where to go?
milehigh
Posted: Friday, March 1, 2013 6:00:55 PM

IMcRout wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I need some new trousers anyway.
Now where to go?

Well, if you're shopping you have to go to Iceland...See this for a lighter take on "necropants":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mOJO0mAHZw4

-- as they say, "one size fits all..."!

Cheers!

J. in CO