mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
As for a future life, every man must judge for himself between conflicting vague probabilities. Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, February 4, 2013 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 94,704
As for a future life, every man must judge for himself between conflicting vague probabilities.

Charles Darwin (1809-1882)
hearthstone
Posted: Monday, February 4, 2013 3:35:40 AM

Neurons: 3
Our future has to be designed by us cooperatively to the liking of all of us who have a stake in the future.
Thanks, Hearthstone
timbuys
Posted: Monday, February 4, 2013 9:57:11 AM

Neurons: 135
Good luck trying to make everyone happy
Miriam...
Posted: Monday, February 4, 2013 9:59:37 AM

Neurons: 12,634
I understand Darwin's statement to mean there is no scientific evidence whether or not one's 'spirit' continues to exist after death.
timbuys
Posted: Monday, February 4, 2013 10:23:31 AM

Neurons: 135
I took it to mean that people must decide for themselves if there is a "after life" ....heaven...hell...reincarnation...or nothing...take your pick
MTC
Posted: Monday, February 4, 2013 1:13:53 PM

Neurons: 8,606
From The Life and Letters of Charles Darwin:
(http://darwin-online.org.uk/content/frameset?pageseq=1&itemID=F1998&viewtype=text)

June 5. 1879.

Down, Beckenham, Kent

Dear Sir! I am much engaged, an old man and out of health, and I cannot spare time to answer your question fully—provided it can be answered. Science has nothing to do with Christ; except in so far as the habit of scientific research makes a man cautious in admitting evidence. For myself I do not believe that there ever has been any Revelation. As for a future life, every man must judge for himself between conflicting vague probabilities.

Wishing you happiness

I remain, dear Sir,

Yours faithfully

Charles Darwin.1

1 This letter was addressed to Nicolai Alexandrovitch von Mengden (b. 1862), student at Dorpat, Russian diplomat. See Calendar 11971, 11981, 12079, 12088.
Verbatim
Posted: Monday, February 4, 2013 2:43:29 PM

Neurons: 248,312
From quotation provided by MTC, Darwin wrote: " For myself I do not believe that there ever has been any Revelation. As for a future life, every man must judge for himself between conflicting vague probabilities."

Between the doubtful past of any Revelation and the future life vaguely imagined, humanity has always disregarded the present as not worth contemplation.
MTC
Posted: Monday, February 4, 2013 3:35:45 PM

Neurons: 8,606

Verbatim, you may wish to exclude Buddhists from those who "disregard the Present as not worth contemplation:"

The present in Buddhism

Buddhism and many of its associated paradigms emphasize the importance of living in the present moment — being fully aware of what is happening, and not dwelling on the past or worrying about the future.[7] This does not mean that they encourage hedonism, but merely that constant focus on one's current position in space and time (rather than future considerations, or past reminiscence) will aid one in relieving suffering. They teach that those who live in the present moment are the happiest.[8] A number of meditative techniques aim to help the practiser live in the present moment.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Present)

GabhSigenod
Posted: Monday, February 4, 2013 7:06:00 PM

Neurons: 149,736
I've been there and it was fun for awhile.
Verbatim
Posted: Monday, February 4, 2013 7:30:35 PM

Neurons: 248,312
MTC wrote:

Verbatim, you may wish to exclude Buddhists from those who "disregard the Present as not worth contemplation:"

The present in Buddhism

Buddhism and many of its associated paradigms emphasize the importance of living in the present moment — being fully aware of what is happening, and not dwelling on the past or worrying about the future.[7] This does not mean that they encourage hedonism, but merely that constant focus on one's current position in space and time (rather than future considerations, or past reminiscence) will aid one in relieving suffering. They teach that those who live in the present moment are the happiest.[8] A number of meditative techniques aim to help the practiser live in the present moment.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Present)

I stand corrected. The emphasis was meant on "disregard the Present", behaving with such lack of respect in observing the reality of the Present.